using benedryl to stop scratching ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reaper18769
Newborn Bully

using benedryl to stop scratching ?

Postby reaper18769 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:03 pm

my dogs seem to have allergic reactions to the laundry soap we used when we washed their beds..leaving them with what looked like red circles..like bumps just not bumped up, on their bellys and inner thighs. when we brought them to the vet for their shots we showed the dr. and he said it may be from the laundry soap or heat rash..he said try benedryl. We didnt feel too great about giving them benedryl pills like he said so we tried the cream. however they continued to scratch leaving cuts and the scratching left them restless at night (leaving us restless also) and they kept trying to lick the cream off. Now we are wondering if using the benedryl at the proper dosage (that the dr told us) will be okay? The last thing i wnt to do is cause harm to my dogs using human medication. Thanks soooo much :thumbsup:

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: using benedryl to stop scratching ?

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue May 25, 2010 2:05 pm

I have used benedryl with my dog Kaiser, he has seasonal allergies and I have known people who use it every allergy season and I'm sure a lot of people will chime in because a lot of people's dogs seem to have allergies.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue May 25, 2010 2:18 pm

in allergy season (ie: right now) maggie gets two 25mg benadryl tabs (not extra strength, just the normal kind) in the morning, and when things get REALLY bad she gets another two in the evening.
my vet told me it can be given every 8hrs, 1mg of benedryl per pound of dog.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue May 25, 2010 2:21 pm

We use it. A lot! Every time right around this year our girl Bailey is SO uncomfortable because of her allergies. And she's not a scratcher, she's a licker. So her's can quickly turn into something yeasty and nasty. I'd imagine with scratching, it could lead to infection.

mnmh
Newborn Bully

Postby mnmh » Tue May 25, 2010 2:21 pm

I had the exact same problem you're having with my Cairn Terrier. I switched detergent and fabric softener and he broke out on his belly really bad. My vet said to give him bennadryl and use hypo-allergenic detergent and dog shampoo so I did and still do, haven't had any more problems. He did just fine on the bennadryl too and it helped him so much.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Tue May 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Harlow takes at least one a day during the spring. She would be miserable without it!

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Ok benedryl it is! :-) lol

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue May 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I wash the dog laundry using white vinegar instead of soap/detergent, it is not going to cause alergic reactions and is also a disinfectant. I use one cup for a normal load.
I also use Benedryl, if needed, for alergies. Paige gets seasonal alergies- spring and fall and will lick till she gets a staph infection.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed May 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Benadryl in my house as well.
I try to use "Free" detergents.
Benadryl makes Maven very sleepy, so I am likely under dosing her when she needs it.

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:31 pm

yea ive noticed guava and bruiser became sleepy when we gave it to them so we are going to bring the dosage down, someone mentioned usuing oatmeal soap (i guess like dog soap) but i think were just going to get hypo-allergenic laundry soap for their beds and toys because washing them in just water is NO help lol

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Mon May 31, 2010 4:23 pm

Interestingly, the generic Lucky brand "benadryl" does NOT make Mave groggy...

Return to “Health Issues”