Does ayone else's dog suffer from allergies??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Does ayone else's dog suffer from allergies??

Postby bully_mommy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 am

My oldest bully Colt (4 years old) suffers from hideous allergies. He is alllergic to fish, palm trees, pine trees, and weeds in the yard to name a few.
I had to change his diet completely and I loved the food we had him on (Orijen). We have to get the property treated by a company who comes out and kills off all of the weeds. Its good though because it kills off pests as well. (fleas and ticks especially) If we travel to a place that has pine trees or foreign tress we have to give him a cortisone shot.

He will scratch til he has no fur left. It is completely insane.

It has taken about a year but his fur has grown back. And very well. I give him pure oatmeal baths.

Does anyone else have these or similar issues with their bully or other breed of dog???

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Does ayone else's dog suffer from allergies??

Postby April » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:34 am

No, and very glad I don't but I know a few pet owners that there dogs are allergic.
Like grass, but it must be the weeds not the grass.
Well at least your responsible and taken good care of your boy :thumbsup:

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:39 am

Yup yup, my Jasper's allergic to chicken, beef (how that makes sense, I'm not sure), and he has seasonal allergies (not sure what though, but, in Spring, he's a mess).

At one time, I found tripe and cod liver oil to work wonders, but this past spring I had to put him on steroids to get him to stop itching himself raw.

I guess he takes after me and my allergies? lol

I've heard great things about the Oatmeal baths, but never tried them...

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

@Callie

Postby bully_mommy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 am

Cod would have never worked with me ....LOL...He is allergic to fish. Grrrr...

I have him on cortisone shots during his outbreaks as well and keflex as an antibiotic.

The oatmeal baths work a hell of wonders!!!! If you can get Jasper to soak in a dry oatmeal mixture for 20 minutes and rinse off it works well....
In his alllergy season try the oatmeal.

P.S.
It works well with us as well...

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

@April

Postby bully_mommy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:59 am

Grass can also be an allergen in dogs as well as the weeds...We had to have Colt tested for a wide span of things including grass. Luckily it wasn't a trigger. It was the weeds. Yucky. But we got that taken care of. It really is sad when your fur babies have issues. Luckily he trusts in me to care for him!!!!

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:16 pm

I had a dog for almost 10 years that had the worst allergies. I swear it didn't matter what he was treated with he was still so itchy and yeasty. High doeses of prednisone was the only relief.
He was allergic to dust and pollen and (according to me) grains. When I switched him to Origen (the last few months of his life) he was like a different dog.
NOW my almost three year old female seems to have an inhalent seasonal allergy. She has some nekked and raw spots on her tummy. Benadryl helps her significantly.
Ari also has a little sumthin sumthin going on. He has gooey eyes daily, but half a benadryl helps also.
Still feeding Origen

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

@Maven

Postby bully_mommy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:29 pm

I wish I could still feed him Orijen unfortunately he is way to allergic to the food. It contains fish in which was a trigger. Like I said I loooooove Orijen. I have tryed Solid Gold as well but I prefer Orijen. I have also had to have him (Colt) get prednisone shots as well. Benadryl helps very mildly.

My newest member Butch is 8 weeks old and has not shown any signs of any allergies. He is on Orijen large breed puppy. Yay!!!!

Crazy Crazy Crazy!!!

Good Luck!!! We both need it....

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Yep my boy has pretty bad allergies but thankfully not like yours! UGH. What a nightmare...I feel for you. I too add fish oil and vit E (obviously that won't work for you). I feed a fish based food as well again, won't work for you. I will say I did find an organic bar soap that helped with his coat and itching... It's the tea tree and Calendula bar (but better check if your guy can handle those items). www.nakeenatural.com

Other than that, we just treat as we need to and hope that the secondary infections stay low due to scratching.

PS: Bruno looks so much like your guy!!!

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:29 am

Maybelle has allergies, but thankfully not too severe.

She'll turn all red and itchy and lose fur, but not to where she has bald spots. But that may be because she doesn't have a lot of fur to start with . .

Switching to raw really has done wonders. She is allergic to grass, so she's on benedryl, especially since she likes to sunbathe outside, and she moves where the sun goes. Fish oil worked too!

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:41 am

Peanut's allergic to peanuts. When she eats anything with peanuts in it she gets stinky gas and gets the runs. No, we didn't know that when we named her...

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Veronica has mostly environmental allergies...mold, weeds, trees, dust etc.

She gets an allergy injection every 20 days, zyrtec almost constantly and benadryl prn.

The only good news is that her allergies are very well managed.

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

@Brunomom

Postby bully_mommy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:25 pm

I have actually found that head and shoulders helps as well of your doggy can handle it.
Fortunately Colt handles it well and it helps his dry skin along with the oatmeal.

Thanks for the advice on the soap. If in the future I need an alternative I will look into it.

And yes our boys do look alike!!! Love it!!!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:32 pm

I chuckled a little when I saw the title. You may ask why...there are SO many people on this forum who have dogs that have allergies of some type. I can't even imagine if you put just allergies in the search roflmao

My Khan has allergies, both environmental and food. The food I am certain of the environmental I have just kind of figured out on my own(somewhat)

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:08 pm

My eleven year old Shiba Inu, Suki, gets bad seasonal allergies. The hair around her eyes comes off and it makes her look like she has mange. :( Oatmeal baths help and today I gave her a cider vinegar soaked which seemed to help, she still itches but not nearly as much. I also give her over the counter human allergy pills and they really help bring back her pep.

Matilda, the Rat Terrier mix, is allergic to wheat and most grains, and her symptoms are groin licking and flank sucking.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Grendel has been showing symptoms of allergies that I think may be weeds or grass :( poor gaffer.

Return to “Health Issues”