holistic care - ears

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KsMomma
Newborn Bully

holistic care - ears

Postby KsMomma » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:00 pm

We just rescued a sweet little pit mix last week, and we're loving her up!

Our family is pretty crunchy - organic/local food, herbal medicine, homeopathy, etc. One of our favorite things is garlic oil for treating and preventing ear infections. Works amazing!

I know that the Allium genus is a no-no for dogs (and cats). However, I know people who give small amounts to their dogs for a variety of reasons and don't consider it toxic at those levels. I'm wondering if garlic oil topically (in the ear, a few drops) would be okay for our dog?

Does anyone have any experience with this? And other natural/herbal remedies for their sweet pooches. :) Thanks!

Here's a picture of our love, Kylie/Luna. (We cannot decide.)

msvette2u

Re: holistic care - ears

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:54 pm

Is she prone to ear infections?
If so then you need to find the cause, if it's an allergy or what.
If she currently has an ear infection you need to have it diagnosed by a vet and treated. Ear infections can turn chronic and do permanent damage to the ear.

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 am

msvette2u wrote:Is she prone to ear infections?
If so then you need to find the cause, if it's an allergy or what.
If she currently has an ear infection you need to have it diagnosed by a vet and treated. Ear infections can turn chronic and do permanent damage to the ear.

She's not prone to them that we know, but we've only had her 1 week. She doesn't have an ear infection now. I know for me and my kids, if we ever get a cold or sinus infection, an ear infection will often follow. Since it's almost certainly viral, I treat with garlic oil. Doctors always want to prescribe antibiotics which in this case, are harmful.

I'm totally with you on treating the cause, not the symptom. We just transitioned her to a raw diet and today is her first day of 100% raw! This will certainly help address any allergy issues and give us more control over her diet if allergies to appear.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:33 am

I wouldn't put anything in her ears as an attempt to prevent infections - I've never found it necessary, and think it's more likely to do harm than good.

My dog Oscar is allergic to beef, and gets ear infections when he eats it. I've used both witch hazel and white vinegar to help clean things up when he does get that black wax that tattle tales on his eating something he shouldn't have, with success.

That said, a vet should really be your first option for infections, and there are more and more holistic vets out there, so there's hope you'll be able to find one who supports your more natural choices.

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:07 pm

We're definitely going to keep a good relationship with our vet, and I'm not opposed to driving a bit to find a more holistic vet! We live near a big city (Charlotte, NC) so I don't think it will be hard. :)

We just went 100% raw today after a week (got her last Monday) of transitioning her off the kibble that she was on in foster care. We're going to give her just chicken and chicken parts for a few days, then challenge venison. I don't have any reason to believe she's allergic to venison though! We gave her PurinaOne (beef/rice) (because that's what we thought she was on in foster care and we didn't want her to be bellyaching her first days here) while we transitioned, but she was scratching more everyday! Found out that she was on PurinaOne chicken formula in foster care. So we will be paying close attention to when we challenge beef. I just want her to be totally happy and healthy, inside and out. <3

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 pm

if we ever get a cold or sinus infection, an ear infection will often follow. Since it's almost certainly viral, I treat with garlic oil.

OT a little but an ear infection is the middle ear, not the outer ear - I can't see how garlic oil would help since you could not reach the inner ear except through the ear drum.

And I'd never stick oil in a dog's ear either way. As Amie said, often dog's ears get excessive wax from irritation or allergen but again a vet would be the one to go to for that, to make sure nothing else is going on.
Once the ear drum ruptures (if it were an infection) you risk damage to the delicate middle and inner ear.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 pm

I don't know a lot about holistic care, but I'd like to sort of piggy back on what Amie and MsV said.

My guess is, if you start with a foundation of some sort of oil in the ear, then when you don't put it in, the ear will be unhappy.

Kind of like if you are always putting on chapstick...then one day forget-your lips are unhappy.

But as far as the dog getting an ear infection (or irratation) and then putting an oil in there...I'm no help.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm

I may be wrong here but I've never seen a vet treat ear infections systemically with oral antibiotics...it's always antibiotics drops that go directly INTO the ear canal so I don't see why using holistic remedies via this method wouldn't work.

The vets at the clinic where I work often recommend a 1:1 ratio of white vinegar and water (watch out for red, inflamed or ulcerated ear canals though...this can sting!) or we use Burrows solution like no tomorrow as sort of a weekly up-keep remedy. (for those of you who are unfamiliar, burrows is a solution of Aluminium Acetate in water) and we have a ton of success with that!

However, if the dog isn't having any issues with the ears, sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone! If it's not broke, don't fix it. My dogs get a wipe out with a damp wash cloth when things get waxy and that's it!

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:08 pm

msvette2u wrote:
if we ever get a cold or sinus infection, an ear infection will often follow. Since it's almost certainly viral, I treat with garlic oil.

OT a little but an ear infection is the middle ear, not the outer ear - I can't see how garlic oil would help since you could not reach the inner ear except through the ear drum.

The majority of ear infections in humans are viral middle ear infections, so the garlic oil gets right to it! Works amazingly! Garlic is a powerful antiviral and antibacterial. The ear oil that I use is not homemade, it is Gaia's Herbs, and also has mullein and willowbark in it. Willowbark is the original aspirin, so it has natural pain relief. I don't leave home without it! :) I have personally had ear infections/aches clear up with garlic oil alone, and I use it for my kids and my husband. (Way OT but husband had an ear infection so bad that the glands in his neck where swollen to the point of much pain. Garlic oil in both ears, plus echinacea tea in mega does, and in 24 hours all pain was gone and swelling drastically reduced. He now lets me treat him with my Witch's Brew anytime.)

I understand what you all are saying about dogs. I wasn't saying that I was poised with the dropper of garlic oil above her ear at this very moment, just seeing what information was out there. :) I am just extremely concerned about the inappropriate use of antibiotics in all species. How do you think MRSA came about? ;) (Antibacterial handwash and soap are terrible!) Inappropriate use of antibiotics, systemic or topical, causes more harm and can lead to more infections. I haven't researched drug-resistant antibiotics in dogs, but I am certain I'm safe in assuming it is happening right now. I will be certain to get a culture before putting our dog on antibiotics, unless it is blatantly necessary of course. So many antibiotics prescribed are broad-spectrum (gram-positive and gram-negative) when maybe only one or the other is necessary, or maybe not necessary at all because the infection is viral or even fungal.

Not to mention that the body, no matter the species, is equipped to deal with infections without intervention. I am all for antibiotics when they are really needed, but they are way overprescribed and not administered correctly when they are. Make love, not war with those bacteria! :)

Sorry this turned into a novel! I'm clearly a microbiology junkie, who just loves her new rescue pup so much! I consider herbal care with the rare use of Western medicine the best for my family, and since she's family, I'm wanting the same for her. We are certainly going to visit the vet regularly and that is so important! I hope you all understand. :)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 pm

This is a great place to find a Vet with advanced training in a variety of more holistic treatments:

http://www.holisticvetlist.com/

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:20 pm

FransterDoo wrote:This is a great place to find a Vet with advanced training in a variety of more holistic treatments:

http://www.holisticvetlist.com/

Thank you! :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 am

Ear infections in dogs are NOT viral, and they are NOT in the middle ear. Most human type remedies do not apply to dogs because the mechanism of disease is entirely different.

AT MOST, I recommed bi-weekly cleaning with a quality cleansing and drying solution for healthy ears. Anything more and you cause more inflammation than you prevent.

Ear infections in dogs occur because they have inordinately long ear canals, that canal is shaped like an "L" and it collects things like dirt, hair, and fluid very very well. Add floppy ears and you suddenly lose what little ventilation there was before, and then add heat from allergies, over-cleaning, over-rubbing (think of rubbing your hands together, you do this to your dog ears every time you rub them) and in furry dogs from plucking hair.... and you end up with a perfect storm.

More often than not, its best to leave it alone!!!!!!!!!

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:06 am

Good Article I found pertaining to your post!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-10785-Natural ... e-for-Dogs

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Ear infections in dogs are NOT viral, and they are NOT in the middle ear. Most human type remedies do not apply to dogs because the mechanism of disease is entirely different.

AT MOST, I recommed bi-weekly cleaning with a quality cleansing and drying solution for healthy ears. Anything more and you cause more inflammation than you prevent.

Ear infections in dogs occur because they have inordinately long ear canals, that canal is shaped like an "L" and it collects things like dirt, hair, and fluid very very well. Add floppy ears and you suddenly lose what little ventilation there was before, and then add heat from allergies, over-cleaning, over-rubbing (think of rubbing your hands together, you do this to your dog ears every time you rub them) and in furry dogs from plucking hair.... and you end up with a perfect storm.

More often than not, its best to leave it alone!!!!!!!!!

Good point Miss Kiwi! Yeast and bacteria are the major culprits for ear infections in dogs, not viruses. You can't mistake a stinky, yeasty chronic ear infection! Yuck!!

Obi has drop ears and *touch wood* I only need to give them a wipe out with a clean cloth every week or two.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

not pertaining to your dogs' ears
I was listening to Dr. Mehmet Ox (on his t.v. show this afternoon) He had a short segment on home remedise that are tried and true. He said his wife and him use garlic and olive oil to treat their kids and their own ear infections(though you would be interested in that little tidbit) ;)
Oh and I have a question for you, what do you all waash/bath with since you not fond of soap (and antibacterial gel) ???

Return to “Health Issues”