Allergy relief? Severe itching...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Allergy relief? Severe itching...

Postby pitsnok » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:11 am

Poor Harlow. Her allergies are beyond ridiculous right now. She seems to constantly be itching. Her neck is raw, red, and even scabbing in a couple of places. Other than benadryl, (she is already getting one and a half pills about twice a day) is there anything else I can do for some relief? We have medicated shampoo from when Degan had demodex and I was wondering if you guys thought that would help? Also, can I put lotion on her?
She doesn't have any hair loss anywhere, I'm pretty positive we don't have fleas because no one else is itching, and I haven't seen any evidence of them.

I will definitely call the vet if I need to but I thought I would start here first.
Thanks for the input!

MikeInTacoma

Re: Allergy relief? Severe itching...

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:52 am

We've been having a similar issue with Rocco. Vet put him on benedryl (actually recommended a different med I'd not heard of -- we may switch when this jumbo bottle of benedryl is gone), a course of prednisone (a steroid), fish oil, and cephalexin (don't remember what that is). In addition, we have to wash him with medicated shampoo, and we had to switch his diet. It has helped a lot, though as we've been stepping down the steroids, it looks to me like some of the scratching is returning.

I'd suggest talking to your vet! The various pills aren't really cheap, but not seeing him all red and scratching and miserable is completely worth it.

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 am

@Pitsnok
@Wegoband

Allergies with my 4 year old pitty are really bad as well.

His vet gives him cortisone shots when he has a flare up. Prednisone and cephalexin.
(Cephalexin is an antibiotic also known as keflex. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic. @Wegoband)

We were feeding him Orijen but then we found out one of his allergies is to fish. So we had to take him off of it.
Dry oatmeal baths do a world of wonders for him as well.

Plain oatmeal with a mixture of water.....Not soupy..Kinda dry if that makes sense. I take him outside and let him absorb the oatmeal for about 20- 30 minutes.

At one point he scratched himself til there was no skin on the bottom part of his body including his paws...

After all the vet checks and tests and meds this season has been great....

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 am

When I posted my thread another member replied to me with:

Yep my boy has pretty bad allergies but thankfully not like yours! UGH. What a nightmare...I feel for you. I too add fish oil and vit E (obviously that won't work for you). I feed a fish based food as well again, won't work for you. I will say I did find an organic bar soap that helped with his coat and itching... It's the tea tree and Calendula bar (but better check if your guy can handle those items). www.nakeenatural.com

If you want an extra option this may be another...

Hope your fur baby gets some relief!!!

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:35 pm

I will definitely try the fish oil asap. I just hope she doesn't start smelling like fish. (I know that happens sometimes)... We feed Wellness Core because she has grain allergies--so our food options are pretty limited. She also has hypothyroidism so she takes thyrosine(spelling?) twice a day.
Degan had to take prednisone for a week after having an allergic reaction to something. I hated him being on it. He was kind of grumpy, lethargic, and gained weight even in one week. Obviously if that would provide Harlow with relief I will do it, but I just hate having to rely so much on pills. :sad:

REY19007
Newborn Bully

Postby REY19007 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Change the diet and watch everything they eat. My dog also got allergies but is been a wile since he had an outbreak. We always watch what he eats. When he was a puppy, WAAAOOOOOOOO what a nightmare but we have him figureout already!!!!!! Good luck.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm

hershey has allergies too. after a few different diets, he's been doing pretty well on EVO except for flareups of the skin. the vet put him on Chlorpheneramine, bc benadryl and hydroxyzine didn't really work well for him.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:33 pm

Do you know what she is allergic to?

Khan is allergic to poultry and has environmental allergies as well (pretty sure grass and other assorted summer time things)

He is on NB fish and sweet potato(grain free). He gets Salmon oil, vitamin e and coconut oil. I had stopped the coconut oil for a while, but he had a couple flair ups. He is back on it now and it appears we have things back under control.

In the winter he gets a bath every few weeks with an allergy shampoo and some times chlorexiderm. In the summer he is bathed at least once a week with a gentle allergy shampoo, rotating with chlorexiderm.

He is Allegra right now. I have a prescription for it and my vet told me the correct dose amount for Khan. We have previously tried benadryl and claritin.

I also wipe down his paws with water after he has been outside in the grass.

I recently ordered a lotion that was recommended by someone here. I'll see if I can find the name.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 pm

This is a great fish oil that has practically no smell and is very well priced:

http://www.hare-today.com/product_info. ... cts_id=232

Best of luck with the skin allergies. :sad:

Have you tried a prey model raw diet?

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 am

I am not sure exactly what she is allergic to. According to our vet it is grass and grains. I don't think it has anything to do with her food because she is fine in the winter, and just gets really bad in the summer and fall...she has eaten the Core since we realized food containing grains bothered her. I recently got a new oatmeal shampoo and bathed her with it tonight. Since the bath she hasn't been itching, so hopefully that is helping her some.
We haven't tried raw because I don't want to feed it to one dog, and not the other, and for some reason I am really weary of doing it. It scares me a little, (price, convenience, health benefits, etc) so I have just never even wanted to mess with it at all.

The benadryl helps, but I feel like it only helps for a couple of hours, and I am definitely not wanting to go overboard with it. I will probably call the vet to see what he thinks... and if he thinks I should bring her in I will sometime next week. It's just sad because she looks like a little dirty and scabby dog. :sad:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 am

Benadryl can be given 1mg a pound. I believe every 8 hours.

My vet recommends bathing 1-2 times a week (with a gentle shampoo) in the summer. If they have environmental allergies.

Return to “Health Issues”