raw feeding - what to expect, what to look for

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KsMomma
Newborn Bully

raw feeding - what to expect, what to look for

Postby KsMomma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Our rescue dog has been with us for 8 days. During this time I've been transitioning her from her previous kibble to raw. Yesterday was our first day 100% raw. For the past few hours she's been sleeping a lot and seems a little off, and it is making me paranoid. She's not in any obvious pain, puking, diarrhea, or anything that I can tell. She could just be tired, ate too much grass in the yard, ate a stick, whatehaveyou.

What should I expect now that she's 100% raw?

What things to I need to look out for?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: raw feeding - what to expect, what to look for

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:15 pm

What does 100% raw mean to you? i.e. What are you feeding?

After 8 days with a new family, she might just be tired, you now?
Also if she's been given wormer or vaccines in the past day or so, she could be feeling out of sorts.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm

FransterDoo wrote:

should be *know*

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:40 pm

FransterDoo wrote:What does 100% raw mean to you? i.e. What are you feeding?

Also if she's been given wormer or vaccines in the past day or so, she could be feeling out of sorts.

She's getting chicken thighs and some venison now and for the next few days. We're planning on challenging other foods so we can monitor her for any allergies. I've been doing 2%. Today she has been sleeping all afternoon, just not looking like her happy self. She heaved (mildly) a couple times outside after eating grass. It really could be anything - ate a stick, too much grass (loves grass!)

She does get overwhelmed with our kids, and we are doing what we've been calling a "modified" shutdown. She spends more time in her kennel than we anticipate she will years from now, but less than what I think the shutdown really is. We haven't been taking her for walks. That can be stressful for her, and she cannot walk on a leash without pulling, so until we can train her, we felt it best to avoid the leash. You know, if she can't walk on the leash in the backyard, I can't expect her to walk on the leash around the neighborhood!

She hasn't had any vax or be dewormed. (I mean, in the last few days. She had all that a few months ago.)

She actually looking a little better right now, so I'm going to take her out in the backyard sans kids. They are sweet kids, but I can't blame the dog (Zelda?) for getting overwhelmed by them in these first few weeks. :) What should I look for in her poop? I can't find pictures of raw fed poop!

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm

I guess I'm just a little on edge because we've only had the dog (ZELDA!) a week, and it's been 5 years since we owned a dog. And my first time raw feeding.

She had her first raw poop a couple hours ago. That seemed to make her feel better, and her spirits have been better. I decided to give her just raw chicken (no bone) for dinner and she had quite an appetite for it. I offered her a chicken heart (yummy!) and chicken liver. She tried to eat the liver, licked it and slurped it, but couldn't get it down. We'll try again later. Her evenings are very relaxed here, and tomorrow we'll give her some extra time in her kennel after a good exhausting play session.

Signed,
Paranoid New Momma ;)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:25 pm

She's brand new to your house, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Being in a new environment is stressful, and it can take quite some time for a dog to really come around.

You may just have a low energy dog on your hands. :thumbsup:

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:27 am

She does get overwhelmed with our kids, and we are doing what we've been calling a "modified" shutdown. She spends more time in her kennel than we anticipate she will years from now, but less than what I think the shutdown really is.

That’s cool! Nobody’s going to smack you around for modifying it to work with your dog and your family.

We haven't been taking her for walks. That can be stressful for her, and she cannot walk on a leash without pulling, so until we can train her, we felt it best to avoid the leash. You know, if she can't walk on the leash in the backyard, I can't expect her to walk on the leash around the neighborhood!

Walks are stressful or not going for walks? You can use something like the EZ-walk harness if she pulls but you want to start taking some walks.

What should I look for in her poop? I can't find pictures of raw fed poop!

Yeah, I don’t take pictures of the dog poop. Maybe I should but there’s such a stigma related to photographing poop.

There may be some in these links: http://www.rawfeddogs.net/Links

Basically, it will depend on what you are feeding but you was small (and I mean SMALL), firm poops that are medium brown in color. Move towards too firm and too white/beige and there is too much bone. Heart and organs can produce darker stools that are looser or stickier.
Now those poops are fine once in a while. Sometimes my dogs get a very bone-dense meal and I just give them a little extra time in the backyard. And each dog is different – so you’ll get a sense of what’s right for Zelda.

Oh and when I mean small -- I can pick up 3 50-pound dog and 1 14-pound dog’s poop in a regular poop bag and still have room to easily tie it.

She tried to eat the liver, licked it and slurped it, but couldn't get it down. We'll try again later

Some dogs just do not like liver. I think it’s a texture thing. You can try it fairly frozen ala Liver Popsicle. I tend to grind them up and mix with stinky stuff.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:28 am

KsMomma wrote:I guess I'm just a little on edge because we've only had the dog (ZELDA!) a week, and it's been 5 years since we owned a dog. And my first time raw feeding.

She had her first raw poop a couple hours ago. That seemed to make her feel better, and her spirits have been better. I decided to give her just raw chicken (no bone) for dinner and she had quite an appetite for it. I offered her a chicken heart (yummy!) and chicken liver. She tried to eat the liver, licked it and slurped it, but couldn't get it down. We'll try again later. Her evenings are very relaxed here, and tomorrow we'll give her some extra time in her kennel after a good exhausting play session.

just a heads up, if she's only been on raw a week, and you've fed her a boneless meal along with heart and liver.... you may be in for some tapass lol

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:25 pm

kaytenmags wrote:just a heads up, if she's only been on raw a week, and you've fed her a boneless meal along with heart and liver.... you may be in for some tapass lol

lol

Cannon butt!

If I feed my dogs any boneless meal along with liver and heart.... eek.

In fact, I don't feel them boneless meals at all!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm

I feed bonless Thursday - Sunday nights when we're at flyball. Mostly because I want everything to be easy to "move" when they have to poop in a new place that smells like different dogs. It does not result in diarrhea of even loose stools. Still easily pick-upable.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 pm

i feed occasional boneless meals, but if i'm going through a bunch of boneless meat (more than a day or two), i'll usually toss in a couple chickens feet just to keep things together.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:02 pm

The main reason I don't feed boneless is that boneless meats tend to be significantly more expensive.... and I sure as hell am not going to take the time to take any meet off a bone. lol

When Fiona has a meal with very little bone I will sprinkle in a little bit of bone meal powder to keep things firm. She has a more sensitive stomach then Stella and can get loose poop pretty easily (hence why I had to get her off of kibble!)

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:22 pm

ksmomma:
I try to stick to the 80-10-10 rule 80%muscle meat 10%bone10%organ
However just starting her out I would avoid the boneless meals and organs. She will get cannon butt. I transitioned both dogs straight from kibble to raw with chicken backs and wings. NO diarrhea at all. Keep the bone high and the meat low and no organs for the first couple weeks, slowly add more muscle meat and after a month slowly add the organs. Start small with the organs because they tend to be strong flavored if you introduce them too big some dogs will not touch them and they are important for them to have.
Some dogs mellow out some on raw due to the lack of preservatives in the food. It is like a kid on high processed foods. They tend to give false energy they have almost a hyper effect on the dog/kid
The more natural the food the less it is processed the less preservatives and chemicals the dog will calm down some seem almost mellow. The energy is more that.... energetic happy rather than a buzzed hyper dog.
you don't ever want to give just boneless either the bones are an important calcium source.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:43 pm

We're probably going to start confusing Ksmomma because I caution new feeders against wings and backs.

Wings - feel that they are way too small for pit bulls. My 14-pound Doxie mix makes quick work of them. Both of my big boys would gulp them whole in a heartbeat.

Backs - too much bone IMO. too much bones = really hard poops = dog with ouchy bum.

My philosophy is to wrap the bone in plenty of tasty, softer meat. I prefer to give new dogs bone-in breasts (with or without wings attached) and leg quarters. Ideal would be a kick-ass sale on whole chickens and a good set of poultry shears to wack it into quarters.

And I give boneless regularly. It's about variety and completeness over time. When life is busy and dinner has to be quick - A hunk of pork is way faster than working through bones for some of my dogs. They can have bone the next day.

My week has gone like this:
Tuesday: green tripe
Wed: hunk of pork (fat and skin included), lamb bones
Thursday: same (finishing up bag before we left for flyball)
Friday: grind of meat, organs, fish,veggies and fats (at a competition)
Saturday and Sunday: boneless pork (at a competition)
Monday AM: grind before driving home
Monday PM: nothing defrosted. Used honest kitchen samples from competition.
Tuesday: finished up lamb bones and pork from butchering last week

Now that I've gotten through the huge whole pork leg that was on top of the freezer - I'll probably dig through for some poultry and some beef heart.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm

FransterDoo wrote:We're probably going to start confusing Ksmomma because I caution new feeders against wings and backs.

Wings - feel that they are way too small for pit bulls. My 14-pound Doxie mix makes quick work of them. Both of my big boys would gulp them whole in a heartbeat.

Backs - too much bone IMO. too much bones = really hard poops = dog with ouchy bum.

My philosophy is to wrap the bone in plenty of tasty, softer meat. I prefer to give new dogs bone-in breasts (with or without wings attached) and leg quarters. Ideal would be a kick-ass sale on whole chickens and a good set of poultry shears to wack it into quarters.

And I give boneless regularly. It's about variety and completeness over time. When life is busy and dinner has to be quick - A hunk of pork is way faster than working through bones for some of my dogs. They can have bone the next day.

My week has gone like this:
Tuesday: green tripe
Wed: hunk of pork (fat and skin included), lamb bones
Thursday: same (finishing up bag before we left for flyball)
Friday: grind of meat, organs, fish,veggies and fats (at a competition)
Saturday and Sunday: boneless pork (at a competition)
Monday AM: grind before driving home
Monday PM: nothing defrosted. Used honest kitchen samples from competition.
Tuesday: finished up lamb bones and pork from butchering last week

Now that I've gotten through the huge whole pork leg that was on top of the freezer - I'll probably dig through for some poultry and some beef heart.

Well, either way she wants to do it, those are some ideas. I never had any issues with either wings or backs, IF she does gulp then try something larger. The backs never caused hard hard poops for our dogs but I only fed them backs for about 2 weeks with the wings so it would keep the diarrhea at bay while they were getting used to the change.

I just read alot and played with it, you can't go wrong. Take what you like and ignore what you don't like. Eventually you will develop your own plan. Read all of our posts and fashion your own feeding program just make sure you use all parts of the animal, meaning muscle organ and bone, if the poop is loose add more bone if it is too hard add some muscle or organ....

Return to “Health Issues”