raw feeding - what to expect, what to look for

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Re: raw feeding - what to expect, what to look for

Postby KsMomma » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 pm

Internet ate my last post - sorry!

Thank you all for the great information. All is completely understandable and I don't feel confused at all. Last night's feeding of just muscle was because I was being a freak, worried that her upset tummy was because she'd gobbled down too large a piece of bone. It may have been, but she seems fine and was happy most of the day.

Zelda is still snapping/mouthing at the kids, starts off as something playful but she can feel my tension and she probably knows it's wrong, and then she starts to get scared and overwhelmed. She seems like she just doesn't know how to play unless it is with dogs. Her default is running, tackling, play nipping like dogs would play. Poor baby is just struggling to adjust I suppose. And my poor kids are starting to get scared of her. I know we'll get through this though. :pray

She's in her kennel now and I can hear her getting restless, so we'll go out for a romp around the yard. Walks do seem to stress her a little. She walks pretty good away from the house but really pulls walking back. So that seems to indicate that maybe she's not feeling the most secure.

She's definitely on the anxious/scared end of the spectrum. Not overly so, but it is her tendency.

Sweet Zelda - we'll get her around! Thank you all for the information and support. :)

Carrie

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Her default is running, tackling, play nipping like dogs would play. Poor baby is just struggling to adjust I suppose. And my poor kids are starting to get scared of her. I know we'll get through this though.

You know, you've had her barely 10 days and she has such unrestricted access to the kids so she can mouth them, knock them over and nip them??
This belongs in training, but at this point she ought to still be in a 2-week shut down away from the rest of the house as much as possible so she can "absorb" the house and it's rhythms through a crate door or away from the main area of the home.
Part of the two week shut down's effectiveness is learning that you are the leader in the home.
And only when she knows that and respects that will she listen and respect your kids. Until then they will be siblings to her and that's a recipe for disaster.
There are many dogs who feel the compulsion to "discipline" children and if she's one of them, you're going to have worse problems than what to feed her.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 am

FransterDoo wrote:We're probably going to start confusing Ksmomma because I caution new feeders against wings and backs.

Wings - feel that they are way too small for pit bulls. My 14-pound Doxie mix makes quick work of them. Both of my big boys would gulp them whole in a heartbeat.

Backs - too much bone IMO. too much bones = really hard poops = dog with ouchy bum.

i completely agree.
maggie will try to swallow anything smaller than her head. necks and drumsticks go down whole (or with one crunch). the smallest thing she gets now is chicken leg quarters, and she makes short work of those! if i want/need to feed her a small meal, it's boneless. she'll hoover it, so it's gotta be bite-sized pieces.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 am

kaytenmags wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:We're probably going to start confusing Ksmomma because I caution new feeders against wings and backs.

Wings - feel that they are way too small for pit bulls. My 14-pound Doxie mix makes quick work of them. Both of my big boys would gulp them whole in a heartbeat.

Backs - too much bone IMO. too much bones = really hard poops = dog with ouchy bum.

i completely agree.
maggie will try to swallow anything smaller than her head. necks and drumsticks go down whole (or with one crunch). the smallest thing she gets now is chicken leg quarters, and she makes short work of those! if i want/need to feed her a small meal, it's boneless. she'll hoover it, so it's gotta be bite-sized pieces.

I really thing it depends on the dog. Paco managed to chew his wings thoroughly. On the other hand, I've had to perform the heimlich on Lola before lol

Right now I'm being uber-lazy and feeding ground (it's a raw food company so it's whole ground chicken). Works well for my toothless wonder who has the ability to swallow bones whole (she can make her little neck behave like a python and just open right up).

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:33 am

I think the size of things you feed completely depends on each individual dog, and even what's going on at the time you feed. Andre (100 pound puppy) can swallow a chicken drumstick whole, but can end up choking and having to cough up a piece of cat kibble. He also has decided for some reason he must CHEW up pill pockets before he can swallow them (which defeats the purpose of pill pockets since he finds his drugs and spits them out).

Amber will crunch everything up nicely before swallowing. If I stretch out a chicken wing so it's long and skinny, and hand it to Andre crosswise (so the ends stick out the side of his mouth) he'll chew it up before trying to swallow. Just watch carefully when trying new things so you can decide whether it's something you're comfortable continuing to feed and you're there in case something goes wrong.

(My dogs have only been eating raw for about a month and we all love it. Even my husband who was against it when we started)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:52 am

I give Fiona chicken wings on occasion, which she has no issues with. She did choke on a piece of kibble once though! I've given them to Stella as well, but she's pretty good and crunching things up.

On the other hand, Stella has swallowed some pretty big pieces whole. Scares me, but nothing has ever happened. Digests just fine. *shrug*

After a little while you figure out what works for your dog and what doesn't.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:55 am

WackyJacki wrote:I give Fiona chicken wings on occasion, which she has no issues with. She did choke on a piece of kibble once though! I've given them to Stella as well, but she's pretty good and crunching things up.

On the other hand, Stella has swallowed some pretty big pieces whole. Scares me, but nothing has ever happened. Digests just fine. *shrug*

After a little while you figure out what works for your dog and what doesn't.

Yep!! agreed
Cricket actually gags more on her muscle meat if I give it to her boneless, but it just goes in and comes up as many times as she needs till the stinking thing is so soft and mushy it just slides right down. lol

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm

yup, maggie choked on kibble all the time when i first got her. that, combined with her allergies and sensitive stomach, is why we switched to raw. (she's been on raw for about 3 years now)

she still chokes on treats. it's gross. give her a tiny treat (cheese, kibble from a sample pack, whatever), and she'll swallow it whole... wait a few seconds.... then cough it back up. it shoots out a good 2-3 feet, then she runs over to it and eats it again. on the plus side, she is SUPER easy to give pills to lol

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Ah yes, the re-treat. Hack hack hack "Ohhh! Another one!"

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Uh, do locusts and june bugs count as whole prey???
If so, Ophie does JUST FINE! roflmao

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm

chewbecca wrote:Uh, do locusts and june bugs count as whole prey???

of course!! protein is protein even if it is still wriggling LOLOLOL

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm

chewbecca wrote:Uh, do locusts and june bugs count as whole prey???

roflmao roflmao

Them is good nomz!

Return to “Health Issues”