Help with my pups pad :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
staydubbin
Newborn Bully

Help with my pups pad :(

Postby staydubbin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I noticed my girl was licking her paw yesterday when i got home and didnt think anything of it until i took her outside to go to the bathroom and she was limping on her paw so i called her over and she had a small piece (maybe the size of a bic brand pen) of her pad was cut like she slipped or something and cut it... what can i put on her foot and can i wrap it with something so she doesnt lick it?

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Re: Help with my pups pad :(

Postby bully_mommy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Do you have a local feed store??

staydubbin
Newborn Bully

Postby staydubbin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:16 pm

bully_mommy wrote:Do you have a local feed store??

yes

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Call the feed store. They should carry a supplement that is used on horses. It is an antibiotic kinda like neosporin for us.

My cat had a burn on his foot from jumping on my glass top stove and I called my local feed store and they told me to come in and get it. We used it and it healed very well. I can not remember off hand what it is called. Sorry.

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:36 pm

My husband just remembered it is call NU-STOCK.

If that is the correct spelling.

staydubbin
Newborn Bully

Postby staydubbin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 pm

bully_mommy wrote:My husband just remembered it is call NU-STOCK.

If that is the correct spelling.

awesome thank you! should i wrap it up as well? hopefully it has a disgusting taste so she wont lick it!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Is is a slice or is the spot worn or burned looking?

If it's a slice and you've got a hunk of pad that's a flap, you can cut it off. Wash off a sharp pair of the smallest scissors you have with soap and hot water and carefully cut off the majority of the "dead" flap. Be conservative. Only cut the dead stuff.

For either case, you can use regular old triple anti biotics ointment (aka Neosporin).

Then you can either use a thin cotton sock and some tape or a gauze pad and some vet wrap to wrap the paw (not too tight).

You can buy Vet-wrap for people as well. It will be in the first-aid aisle. Usually cheaper than the dog version.
http://www.elasticbandagestore.com/elas ... ndage.html

If the dog is pron to chewing/eating, I'd take off the wrap when you can't supervise. This also helps the wound "dry out".
In our house, dogs with pad injuries get wrapped in the evening once we get home and then we take it off in the morning right before we leave for work.

Don't worry - these kinds of things happen all the time. Most bully breeds will heal up nice and quick for you too!

Here's Franny wrapped after going all out a few weeks ago!

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:58 pm

@Fransterdoo

Good post!!!

I agree with everything you said.
I disagree with the neosporin only if staydubbin is planning on keeping it unwrapped. If not than by all means.

I called my vet before using anything on any animals paws in the past and h ehas told me if I am leaving it unwrapped do not use neosporin on it because of licking it.

With the kitty I didnt wrap it and used NU-STOCK.

So it is pretty much up to you staydubbin. The question now is to wrap or not wrap. That is your decision. Also, I am not sure of yoru financial situation but wrapping and neosporin or a triple antibiotic is cheaper than NU-STOCK. I know my tube ran me a little over 30 dollars.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Maybe I was unclear then.

Put neosporin on and wrap overnight only. The Neo is absorbed while the dog is sleeping. Then after the final morning bathroom break (ie - dog will be inside all day long), unwrap it. At this point, unless you dumped the whole tub on the wound, it has absorbed all of it. I'd probably do a witch hazel wipe down if there was visable goop/cream/gel left voer in the AM.

IME constant gels/cream application and keeping it wrapped all the time leads to the wound staying moist. Moisture means that it takes longer to heal as well. That's why I remove all wrap and have them "go nekked" during the day.

now this only applies to fairly minor pad issues - anything involving stitches or serious flesh wounds - follow the adivce of your vet.

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:24 pm

@Fransterdoo

You gave great instructions in my opinion.

I just kinda wanted the OP to know that neosporin can not be licked. So it has to be wrapped. If they dont go your route I just wanted to make them aware of more options. Only because not everyone always has the same resources.

But that is why we are all here for each other!!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:29 pm

bully_mommy wrote:@Fransterdoo

You gave great instructions in my opinion.

I just kinda wanted the OP to know that neosporin can not be licked. So it has to be wrapped. If they dont go your route I just wanted to make them aware of more options. Only because not everyone always has the same resources.

But that is why we are all here for each other!!

It shouldnt be consumed, but if it is a puppy pad I doubt the amount you would put on it could harm your dog (ive had cats lick it before with no problems.. not that i encourage it). it is best they dont lick it as it does defeat the purpose of applying it.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I've never done anything for minor pad scrape, my dogs don't mess with it and it always heals up within a few days, just take it easy and don't walk them on concrete or anything. Jersey is bad about skidding and sliding during fetch so I always have to keep an eye on her feet.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:47 pm

My dog Lily split her pad once on ice and it healed up by itself. But it was just split right down the middle on clean ice. So I suppose it depends if it has some contaminant in it, if it is open and bleeding or infected whether you would want to wrap it or not.

Return to “Health Issues”