overweight ?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reaper18769
Newborn Bully

overweight ?!

Postby reaper18769 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:44 pm

hello, as some of you may know both of my puppies HAD mange, we took them to the vet for about 2 months until it was cleared up and everytime we would go into the vet he would take their weight. They will be 6 months on the 16th of this month and i was wondering if anyone knew "proper" weights for a male and female around 6 months of age..my vet has never told up that they were over weight and its odd because since we got them (at 8 weeks old) they have always been 3lbs. apart. Guava our female looks so much smaller than him (weight wise) you can see her ribs more so than his and they both have excellent muscle mass for their age. We take them on 40 min walks daily and they have play time/training in the yard for about 15 mins a day also. However looking through some over the pics of the other pits on the forum ive been wondering if my male is overweight. I know he still has alot of room to grow in the coming months (especially with his height) but i want to keep a weight bracket in mind. thanks a ton !! :thumbsup:

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Re: overweight ?!

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:57 pm

There is no 'right' weight range to give you, sorry. There is so much variation in the breed anymore, that weights are all over the map (hell, I've seen puppies younger than yours who weigh more than my 6 year old male, who is 50 lbs.)
Your best bet is to go be how they look and how they feel, rather than shooting for a certain weight, or trying to use that as a guide. There is a sticky on how to tell if your dog is overweight in this section which tells you how to check :) I personally like to see a hint of rib (hard on brindle dogs sometimes) If I can't see it, I better be able to FEEL them easily. Do you have top and side pics of your boy?

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:59 pm

ill take some pics now and put them up here for ya :)

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:22 pm

We woke him up to take these so he looks a little grumpy..and didnt want to cooperate much haha :)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:06 am

From those pics, he looks slightly overweight to me. He's certainly not a big fatty lol but I think he could tone up a wee bit. *shrug*

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:08 am

Oh and yes, the number on the scale doesn't really matter with this breed. They vary a lot in size. Body condition is what matters. You want lean and muscular. Now because he's still a puppy he has some growing to do and he won't be as muscular/toned, however, he could lose a bit in the waist area I think. ANY extra weight on a dog, especially a puppy, really isn't ideal.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:16 am

I would agree. He does look a tiny bit overweight. Just where his stomach starts to tuck up. My dogs are by no means in excellent muscular shape, but Degan, who compares in build to your boy, just has a more defined stomach/chest/tucked area. He used to be overweight and we just cut his food by about 10-15%. He had gotten down to where we wanted him within two weeks for sure. There's not much you would have to do to get him to shed a few lbs. And fortunately, he isn't some hippo like a lot of bullies are!

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:45 am

Thankyou all a bunch, but I'm still a little shocked cause they both eat the same, exercise the same and do everything the same and yet their ONLY 3lbs apart, but he looks so much bigger than her, we just figured he was big boned or a bit husky. Lol
Well thanks again and we were just talkin about cutting lunch from them, so that's what we"ll do. Ill deffenetly post some pics in about 2 weeks and then tell me watcha think than :-)

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:49 am

Oh and by the way, can you even tell they had mange!!? They use to be soooo bad now they have beautiful coats :-)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 am

Just remember... "Husky" is rarely about the bones... roflmao

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:12 am

Looks like you've done a great job with your pups. His coat is beautiful!

I would also lean towards thinking he is a bit chunky. Not terribly overweight and I might let that weight slide with my dogs over the winter. However, I like my guys to show a little more rib, a little more tuck, and a skinnier bum lol... that being said, my dogs are adults.
Remember that he is still a growing puppy, though. By about 10 months (IME) he will probably go through a more gangly stage where he will look taller.

As far as the 3# difference in your dogs-- my two boys are littermates and are only about 3-5#s different in weight, but they have TOTALLY different body shapes. Shades looks much smaller than Piper and has a much deeper chest while Piper is taller and boxier, but thinner. Looking at them you would guess their weight difference was much greater.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:21 am

LOL@Husky comment ;)

Very true!

Their coats look beautiful! You've done a great job with them. :thumbsup:

They will go through stages. Stella weighed about what she weighs now when she was around 1yr, but had a totally different shape then she has now. She wasn't fat, but a bit more filled out with less muscle tone. Now she's quite lean and muscular.

Better to be a little bit on the thin side then have a little extra. Better for their overall health, and certainly for their joints.

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 am

thanks !!! since they were both just fixed we haven't taken them for their daily walks or let them play out in the yard (fear or messing up stitches and/or getting sand in them, living in florida our yard has some sandy patches lol) so we cant wait for the stitches to come out so we can start back up with our daily routines. Start walking more to shed some pounds off bruiser !! lol They're soooo energetic since they have been cooped up in the house the past few days !! roflmao

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Also remember that spay/neuter decreases the hormones and changes their metabolic needs, essentially taking them from their teenage metabolism to their 20's metabolism. Don't change their feeding regimen until you see a change since they are still growing, but watch closely as they will need to eat significantly less in the next 1-4 months... unless of course you start working them significantly more as they reach maturity.

Return to “Health Issues”