Bruno surgery update

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Bruno surgery update

Postby brunomom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey everyone! I am back from a great camping weekend with the family & finally able to update with more details on Bruno.

So you all know he ate a corn cob, puked some of it up, and was punk/vomiting/not eating on and off for 10+ days. Last Thursday I took him for an xray finally since he got sick again that morning - had to take him to a referral clinic because my vet's machine was still not working. My vet AND the referral vet both reviewed the xray and both saw something there (independently from the other mind you). My vet knew the history and the referring vet did not. Decision was made to operate Friday morning. Husband freaked out a bit due to cost of operation but obviously knew it wasn't a choice AND didn't worry too much since I discovered our pet insurance policy covered surgical removal of obstruction - 90%

Friday I get a call around lunchtime from my vet. Bruno was out, breathing on his own and doing great. But then he dropped the bombshell. HE DID NOT FIND ANYTHING. He manually examined his stomach and all of his bowels and did not find anything of significance that would have showed in xray or have been causing a block or the symptoms that Bruno has had...despite the upchuck of a 1-inch thick section of cob. :huh?: He felt really bad for putting us through the stress & anxiety, felt bad that we didn't have a resolved answer, felt bad about the cost, felt bad that Bruno had to go through that and all for nothing. During this conversation I was thinking: ok, good...except wait...then why is my dog sick? And oh crap...wait....did he just say: EXPLORATORY LAPAROTOMY? :eek: It took me a bit to realize he had said those words so when I called on Saturday to check on him (of course after dealing with a very ANGRY and upset husband - all at a campground) - I mentioned to his assistant my concern over the documentation of those words and why it was being called that when we were under the impression that he was going in for a obstruction removal.

So...the bottom line is that Bruno is doing great, didn't get any incisions in the stomach or bowel which is fabulous and will heal up just fine. BUT - we don't know where it stands in regards to the cost or insurance coverage. And of course if he wasn't truly blocked, then what was it that both vets saw on the xray and WHY has my dog been so sick for so long now?

I go to get him tomorrow morning, I need to look through the insurance policy to figure out what is covered, what isn't and exactly how this will be handled. At this point in the situation, all I care about is that Bruno is ok. But my husband is a different story...he is the one that although he cares...always has money in the front of his mind even if he cares.

So that is my update for now. I go get him tomorrow which isn't coming soon enough. I missed him so bad this weekend. It was almost painful to see all the other dogs in the campground and know that part of our family was missing this weekend.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Bruno surgery update

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Seeing something on x-ray and not finding it when you go take a peek is not unusual at all... I would be shocked if your insurance didn't at least cover some portion of the costs.

The good news is your vet DID look at every last inch of your pups GI tract, and there's nothing to be concerned about. If Bruno felt poorly, he's probably still getting over all the trauma he put his poor tummy through.

Even a negative exploratory is still good news because "nothing" is always better than something you can't fix!!!!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm glad to hear Bruno doesn't have an obstruction.... but hmmm.... makes things even more confusing I would imagine!

Money issues... never fun!

Keep us updated. :hug:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm glad Bruno is doing well, and hope that you find out what was making him sick.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Seeing something on x-ray and not finding it when you go take a peek is not unusual at all... I would be shocked if your insurance didn't at least cover some portion of the costs.

The good news is your vet DID look at every last inch of your pups GI tract, and there's nothing to be concerned about. If Bruno felt poorly, he's probably still getting over all the trauma he put his poor tummy through.

Even a negative exploratory is still good news because "nothing" is always better than something you can't fix!!!!

Oh good...that is good to know and makes me feel better. Honestly my husband gets so upset about the money and although I totally understand....it doesn't bother me like it does him. Yeah, it sucks. But my biggest most important worry is my dog and if he is ok. So at times like that...I usually just tell my husband to suck it. ;)

I am just so anxious to get him back home. I miss him terribly and I am crossing my fingers that all of this nonsense of him being sick stops. My vet did ask if there was any chance he got into something else...and I wasn't sure if he was looking for something specific or just giving out a general suggestion. I was thinking to myself: um...he ate a corn cob - of course there is the chance he got into something else. LOL

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Glad he is going to be Ok and home soon!

I hope whoever gave him the corn cob feels HORRIBLE about it now.

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Just wanted to say that I am so happy surgery went okay and there was nothing there. Especially after going through the same thing I know what it feels like to be in your shoes. Gus had to have 6 inches of his intestines removed and I had to beg my father for money to help save a dogs live who he had never met (my dad is is the type of person who only took his dogs to the vet to be spayed/neutered or put to sleep - I fully expected him to say no)

Hopefully his recovery goes well and its awesome he didnt have to have his stomach or bowels cut into. Keeping you guys in my thoughts and i'm sure it was worth every penny to know he is going to be fine.

Return to “Health Issues”