What is this??? Puppy Papilloma??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
rokstrr
Newborn Bully

What is this??? Puppy Papilloma??

Postby rokstrr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 am

Hey all......Bali has been growing this thing on the outside of her lower lip. When I did a little research it seemed to me that maybe it was this puppy papilloma. Everything I read said to leave it as long as it wasnt bothering her or affected her eating. which it isn't doing either. But all that I read said give it 2-6 months and it would likely fall off as her immune system strengthened. She has had it for about a month. And it just keeps growing. But still doesnt seem to be affecting her at all. At the moment its about the size of a pinto bean. Should I be concerned or give it a couple more months and see if it goes away on its own? I just had her spayed a week and a half ago so my funds are a little tight at the moment. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated..

msvette2u

Re: What is this??? Puppy Papilloma??

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:25 am

A vet could easily diagnose and remove it if necessary.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:37 am

Are you close with the vet? Call and explain you don't have much money but just want to be sure its safe to leave it for a while.

Trust me, I have had to make that call many many times and every time my vet has been more than happy to try and help me on costs.

I have personally never heard of it before honestly but I'm not in the medical field.

Hopefully MissKiwi (a member who's a vet) will come along and give her opinion eventually.

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Both of my pitty girls have had puppy papilloma. Ugly, but for us it was a really minor issue. It was scary w/ my older pit bull, only because I'd never seen it before and had now clue why she was developing growths in and around her mouth. When my younger girl developed it, I knew what we were dealing with! Zoe got it at about 13 months and Maizey was about 9 months. They last ~5 weeks from start to finish, and if you just leave it, they will shrivel up and fall off on their own in time. They ARE ugly, no doubt, but if it's just a random few of them, they really aren't causing issues. They ARE contagious, so if you go to a doggie daycare or anything like that, they might want a heads up and ask you to keep your dog home. My vet said it was akin to chicken pox amongst human children, as far as their contagious nature and relative benign nature to most dogs.

wuzzles8
Newborn Bully

Postby wuzzles8 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 am

Kayla currently has two viral papillomas-one on her lower left lip and the other on the right side of her face in her "cheek" area. They are pinkish-white in color, and resemeble cauliflower on the top. What your picture shows does not resemble the a-typical viral papilloma, based upon the location, shape, and the color. But, that could be due to the picture, or a different type of papilloma. Your dog may have an achrochordon. AKA skin polyp. AKA fibrin tag. Could be a mast cell tumor. If the bump has been leaking or leaked in the past, it could also be a sebaceous cyst.

I would contact the vet and see if they will take a picture of what the issue is. They may be able to recognize what it is right away, or they may want you to come in for a better look, or even a needle biopsy. But a good start would be to send them the picture you provided us.

Kayla was at our new vet yesterday for limping, and I had the vet look at the growths to verify that they were nothing more than viral papillomas. The first thing the vet tech and the vet asked is if Kayla goes to doggie daycare. Kayla goes a few times a month. They said that the papillomas are HIGHLY contagious to other dogs, but not to humans. Even simple play dates with other dogs can give the papillomas to your dog. The incubation period of a papilloma is around 1-2 months and may take up to 6-7 months to resolve itself. Some papillomas stick around forever, but most tend to go away after awhile. There really isn't much you can do for them, unless the dog is having trouble eating or appears bothered by it. It just looks crappy! This is a affliction most common in puppies and young dogs, and is not seen as often in older dogs. Older dogs still get papillomas, but they are of the non-viral type.

Best advice...call the vet and see what they can do without having to go in.

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 am

Here's a link to my post about Zoe's warts about a year ago, with photos of her warts when they were just starting.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122567

They eventually got brown and crusty, like your picture seems to show, then fell off on their own. Same sort of thing happened w/ Maizey just a few months ago.

Return to “Health Issues”