Yeasty dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Yeasty dog

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:37 am

Has anyone had any luck in ridding their pup of systemic yeast infections? Lucky has a yeasty ear, and has yeasty feets.. I swear his poo used to smell yeasty (and still does sometimes). Currently feeding Kirkland Weight Management with a tablespoon of pumpkin and yogurt mixed in, which finally settled his tummy.. but I am not sure what else to do. The lamb and the chicken formulas made their stools to loose for my comfort, and Kohei needs to lose some weight.

I read The Great Dane Lady's article on yeast infections and the food she recommends appears to be comparable to the Kirklands I feed. Both the boys cannot handle high protein or fat.. so I don't know what else to feed them that will not upset their tums. I have tried Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Canidae, and the Kirklands Lamb and Rice. All made them have loose stools. I would love to feed raw, but finding local sources for meats is a pain in the arse! They get raw bones on the weekend (beef and chickens).

Do any of you think that this kit is worth the $125? http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Inde ... -72?gid=18
KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Re: Yeasty dog

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:41 am

See if your vet will get you a ketoconazole shampoo, or better yet, an antifungal combined with chlorhexadine shampoo.

Yeast infections are almost always related to some underlying inflammatory cause, less likely related to food and more likely related to environmental allergies.

If the yeast infections are severe, your vet may recommend oral anti-fungal medications, but these are usually reserved for the miserably itchy dogs as the medications can be quite hard on the liver.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 am

Try Natural Balance. We use the Venison formulation for our allergic dogs.

You can buy Ketoconazole shampoo at Walmart in the dandruff section, it's called Nizoral (sp?) and also you can purchase chlorhexadine at many feed stores, or online, in a gallon jug. We mix it by hand in with the shampoo we are using.
msvette2u

Postby BLG119 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am

I concur on the Natural Balance, even though my boyfriend and I were both wary of feeding our dogs anything whose name begins with "Dick Van Patten's". But, Ella can't have chicken and had very loose stool on the high protein/fat foods.

We are now feeding the sweet potato/bison formula and it's been great for both dogs.
BLG119
Newborn Bully

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:51 am

We tried the Bison and Veronica began chewing her paws again :(
So back to Venison/sweet potato for us. Neither dog itches excessively and their coats gleam.
msvette2u

Postby BLG119 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:35 am

Really? I hadn't heard of anyone having allergy problems with the bison yet. Maybe we'll try the venison - we're still trying to work out what is causing our new pup's hair loss (other than his big sister gnawing on him...).
BLG119
Newborn Bully

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:55 am

OT: have you had a skin scrape for mange?
Also just because one of ours is chewing her feet on Bison doesn't mean all dogs will, the other one tolerated it fine...odd, huh?
msvette2u

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 pm

I've heard that dogs with beef issues will sometimes cross-react with Buffalo. My dog doesn't have an issue with it, but they're similar enough it doesn't surprise me. Dogs are so individual... there's no set rules, just trends...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Yeah we don't know what Ronnie's allergic to, but we know she doesn't gnaw her feet on Duck or Venison.
Tristan is allergic to chicken, since he scratched on a diet of only chicken, so we avoided duck (vet mentioned cross reactivity) and went with Venison for both.
msvette2u

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:See if your vet will get you a ketoconazole shampoo, or better yet, an antifungal combined with chlorhexadine shampoo.

Yeast infections are almost always related to some underlying inflammatory cause, less likely related to food and more likely related to environmental allergies.

If the yeast infections are severe, your vet may recommend oral anti-fungal medications, but these are usually reserved for the miserably itchy dogs as the medications can be quite hard on the liver.

We had him treated with an antifungal for his ear, Tresaderm, which cleared his ear up, but the minute we stopped using it, the yeast came back and that is when i noticed his paws. He isn't fussing with his paws, there are just inflamed and smell like corn chips, the same as the ear.

I have been using Zymox on his ear, which is keeping the ear under control. Thankfully the only areas effect are his feet and ear (just the one), no other skin issues.

I will try Natural balance.. I know the boys love the roll, so it is worth the shot!
KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 pm

msvette2u wrote:OT: have you had a skin scrape for mange?
Also just because one of ours is chewing her feet on Bison doesn't mean all dogs will, the other one tolerated it fine...odd, huh?

I haven't because it was just the ear that took us to the vet and they didn't seem to think it could be a skin infection since there are no hot spots.

I have to take a pic of his feet because he has these callouses on them that I think are probably from previous untreated flare ups from before he came to us.
KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:09 pm

msvette2u wrote:Try Natural Balance. We use the Venison formulation for our allergic dogs.

You can buy Ketoconazole shampoo at Walmart in the dandruff section, it's called Nizoral (sp?) and also you can purchase chlorhexadine at many feed stores, or online, in a gallon jug. We mix it by hand in with the shampoo we are using.

Since this is just effecting his feet and ear, would just using it on his feet work? I know i cannot use it in his ear.
KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Well - are the paws red/irritated?
MissKiwi says only 10% of allergies are food caused, the rest are airborne, or environmental.

If the paws are not red/irritated, I'd not get too aggressive - but maybe do chlorhexadine soaks a few times a week.
You don't want to strip the natural oils by overwashing.
msvette2u

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

msvette2u wrote:Well - are the paws red/irritated?
MissKiwi says only 10% of allergies are food caused, the rest are airborne, or environmental.

If the paws are not red/irritated, I'd not get too aggressive - but maybe do chlorhexadine soaks a few times a week.
You don't want to strip the natural oils by overwashing.

Yep.. his paws are inflamed (red and angry looking) but he doesn't mess with them. He has an vet appt next week for yearly check up (he has been with me a year), so i will talk to the vet about it to make sure i don't do more damage to his paws.
KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Image Image

Yeah, the first is of the callous and the second is of the worst paw.
KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues