The vet almost killed Ivy yesterday.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

The vet almost killed Ivy yesterday.

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:22 pm

I don't even know where to begin with this. We took Ivy (my dads puppy) to the vet for an ear crop. This is the same vet who cropped Rex's ears (my dog). My dad is not stupid and this vet was jerking him around yesterday and he has a feeling that something is up on her end. I am running on 8 hours of sleep for the last 2 days, so things might not make sense, just ask if they dont. The vet said she had an allergic reaction to something. My dad thinks she over sedated or over anesthetized her because he could still smell the anesthesia on her breath at like 11 last night.

The vet did surgery and she said that at 1120 she went into cardiac arrest. They did CPR for 4 minutes. The vet told me she didn't have oxygen for 30 seconds. That doesn't make sense to me, to me that means 4 minutes 30 seconds with out oxygen but maybe I am confused.

Here is the information as to what drugs they gave Ivy:
Induction:
75mg of Ketamine @1030
3.75mg of Diazepam @1030

Intra-Op:
Pen G 200,000 iu SQ @1030
Torb 2.5 mg @1115
Ace .5 mg @1115

Montioring equipment:
Stethoscope and Sp02

Time:
1040- 3.5% Isoflurane HR: 140 Resp Rate: 28 SP02: 96
1050- 3.5%/136/24/94
1100- 2.5%/126/24/97

Post Op:
1120 resp. arrest - restarted oxygen still intubated; manual ventilation
The copy of the notes have been cut off so I can't make it out exactly it says that they gave her Dopram
They did chest compressions and gave her epinephrine IV 3 times about 2 minutes apart each time
1130 - placed IV started LRS
10 mg Dex
25 mg Diphenhydramine (bendaryl) IM
x mg of Dopram I can't tell if it is a .1 or 1 mg or ml of it

Then there is a time line of every 15 minutes of what happened. Pretty much they kept her on oxygen via endotrach tube from 1145 to 100 then they extubated her and placed on oxygen via mask.
From 115 to 215 she was on fluids and oxygen and at 215 she started thrashing around due to stimuli at 220 they removed her from the heat.

I had to call the office because they said we could get her at 3. It was an hour away so I called at 2 and THEY TOLD ME what happened. The vet said she arrested and was with out oxygen for 30 seconds and that she was doing okay now. I hung up the phone and called my dad. The vet told him that she suspects she has brain damage. She also said that she had an allergic reaction to one of the drugs they gave her.

230 they gave her more Dex and Naloxone IM
245 thrashing began and pupils were pin point
300 thrashing noted DVM noted anisocoria and admin 2.5 mg Diazepam IV (5mg/ml)
315 pupils still pin point
330 " "
340 began thrashing again admin 2.5 mg Diazepam No response Admin 2.5 again no response
355 admin 5mg diazepam calmed down; admin 20 ml hypertonic saline IV slowly over 5mins via IV
415 oxygen and fluids
430 crying noted continue oxygen and fluids
435 urinated ~50 mls
443 admin 5 mg diazepam continue IV fluids and oxygen
450 owner is here to visit (and kick ass) resting comfortably continue on oxygen and fluids
500 thrashing noted admin 5mg diazepam continue IV and fluids
515 thrashing still noted, rewrapped IV catheter, urinated ~100mls
530 mm:pk/Inj CRT <2 continue IV fluids calmed down oxygen via mask
550 sedate - semi sternal on oxygen mask cont IV fluids
555 Owner opts to transfer to Gilbert Animal Hospital (the vet was closing and no one was going to stay)
IV fluids 246 mls total sent remainder of fluids with owner
600 admin diazepam 5mg IV capped and flushed IV fluids

That is directly from the notes. The vet tech that carried Ivy out to the car said "I'm (and then she stopped herself) well we hope to hear some good news" My dad and I went PI on them and got the whole conversation recorded and the vet would not give us an answer.

So we get her to the E-Vet and my dad couldn't afford to keep her there for 48 hours like they recommended so we were at the point of either putting her to sleep or bringing her home. So we brought her home. We are giving Sub Q fluids and keeping her head elevated like the e-vet said. I am taking her temperature and making sure she stays cool. She has been urinating and she had a BM this morning. She said that time is what she needs and if we can give her that they are hopeful she will come out of this. She could have brain damage. I know she is blind as of now, but the vet said that her sight could come back over time. She is doing really well. The e-vet was very optimistic as opposed to the other vet who was like pretty much we made your dog retarded and I'd give her 24 hours and put her to sleep if she's not better. This e-vet and the criticalist were both very optimistic and said if we can give her time. So time is what she is getting. Her pupils are doing their own thing right now and have been since about 11PM last night. She is on Tramadol for pain.

If anyone is interested in hearing the audio just let me know you can PM me with your e-mail address and I will email it over. It is in .wav format. I am also going to scan these records onto my computer so if anyone wants to see them I will send them too.

I don't know what I am looking for. Just peace of mind I guess. She isn't my dog and hind sight is always 20/20. If I could go back and undo it I would. She did my dogs ears and he was just fine. She stayed the night at my house and played with our dogs and had a blast then I took her for what I thought was going to be an easy procedure at a vet I have used before and BAM she might have brain damage and she is blind and barely alive.

Ironically enough, I volunteer at a vet over on this side of town and I called my friend who is a tech there to ask her opinion and she asked me what vet I went to and I told her and she said this vet is crazy and that she does a phenomenal ear crop but she left because she didn't agree with her tactics. She is older and her eyesight has had problems in the past. She asked if I told her what vet I volunteered at because she knows where she went after she quit. She didn't want to say anything bad but she did imply that if I told her that she might have done this on purpose. She also said that the vet threw a dead cat at her once when she was mad. I checked her out through the Arizona Vet Board or whatever and she has had 6 complaints filed against her since 1987. The older ones, it did not list what they were but the recent ones there were 3 records and 2 of them were for improper record keeping and she is on probation and has been fined. I will be filing a complaint. I know things may look okay on paper but things did not seem right in the situation.

If you have read this, thank you very much. I know it was long but I really don't know what to do for her at this point other than to keep her on Sub Q fluids, monitor her temp and try and feed her she did show interest to it. If you're religious keep her in your prayers for us.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: The vet almost killed Ivy yesterday.

Postby mtlu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Sending good thoughts for little Ivy – I hope she pulls through this okay. :hug:

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you very much. We need all of the good thoughts we can get.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 pm

I'm so sorry, she's in my thoughts

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Honestly... that can happen with anesthesia. I wouldn't assume that anything was done wrong. When I worked for a vet, we had a Boxer pup that quit breathing during an ear crop. They were able to revive her, and she recovered okay, turned out to be fine. So no need to give up hope. Good luck.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I know nothing about the medications, etc.
I just chiming in to say that I hope Ivy will make it and be ok.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:02 pm

I hope Ivy recovers and gains her eyesight :pray :pray :pray

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:06 pm

From what little information I have, it sounds like she arrested during recovery, which I have to be honest... I've seen twice during ear crop surgeries. Ear crop surgery is NOT a safe procedure. Without calculating drug dosages etc... I honestly think your vet did a good job. They were able to catch the problem, administer CPR and life-saving medications, and your pup is lucky to be alive. Giving diazepam post-op is a little wierd/old school, but I don't know if I could call it malpractice...

If your vet seems shady, its probably because they're VERY sorry, and they're beating their own selves up. I've never seen anyone cry harder than Doc did after the great dane pup died after its ear crop.

If drug dosages etc. were altered in the medical record, then I'd be a bit more suspicious, but otherwise its more likely everyone is just flustered and upset. Keeping good medical records is not a strong point of the older generation. If you want to file a report, feel free to do so, I have no opinion for or against based on the information here. Unfortunately, the older docs are the ONLY ones still performing ear crops. Its a risk you have to take for a cosmetic procedure.

It was likely 30 seconds without oxygen while they started CPR, and oxygen was administered during CPR because the notes do say she was intubated at the time of arrest. I very much doubt that she was without oxygen for nearly 5 minutes.

Dogs do not need to read, speak a language, or drive cars... they can endure quite a bit of oxygen deprivation with minimal long-term side effects. As for her vision... I just don't know...

Honestly... count your blessings, you're lucky to have your girl home with you.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, the older docs are the ONLY ones still performing ear crops. Its a risk you have to take for a cosmetic procedure.

This should be made a sticky.

FTR, in the 4 yrs. we've been doing rescue as A PAW UP Rescue, we've had one pup die during (or shortly after) surgery, and quite a few go south and were saved by some very good vets. I use two different vet clinics primarily.
One in particular who went south, did so for no reason other than a reaction to the anesthesia, the vet actually stapled her stomach shut as there was no time for stitches, but they saved her.
Just a great reminder that no surgery is 100% safe.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:14 pm

My father was an anesthesiologist. One of his greatest sorrows was that occasionally they would lose a patient, despite providing the best of care. My dad was against any general anesthetic that was not vital, and any cosmetic surgery.

I hope Ivy makes a full recovery.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Getting OT but did you see that thing where the teen girl went in for breast implants (she was a TEEN!!!) and she died of an anesthetic complication called malignant hyperthermia?
Dogs can apparently develop it as well.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=4520099

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Last week we had a cat die on recovery post-op dental. It was excruciatingly hard on all of the staff. The surgery was entirely routine, pre-anesthetic blood work had been done and the cat was young and healthy except for her teeth. Sometimes there are some things you cannot predict. If you've never been stung by a bee, how do you know if you're allergic? If your pup had never gone under an anesthetic, how could the doctors predict what could happen? Anesthesia is ALWAYS a risk, thats why there is a waiver form involved.

I truly hope your little pup recovers quickly and easily!! As you said, hindsight is 20/20 but hopefully others might learn from your story.

Sending best wishes!!

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm so sorry for what happened and I'm praying that Ivy gets better.

patty

Postby patty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 pm

:sad: I'm very sorry to hear about Ivy. I hope your girl is doing better. Please keep us updated.

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I just got to my dads house and she seems to be stable. She hasn't eaten since Monday night so we gave her some Karo syrup so her blood sugar doesn't get low. She just sleeps a lot. I went in there and turned on the light and she put her head up and I let her sniff me and she wagged her tail. I am going to talk to the exotics vet that I volunteer at and see if he can give us a second opinion. My dad is supposed to go out of town on Monday. So he is going to see what he thinks and if she isn't coming around by Sunday I think he is going to put her to sleep. But we will see if the vet will give us a second opinion and decide what to do.

Return to “Health Issues”