The vet almost killed Ivy yesterday.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Re: The vet almost killed Ivy yesterday.

Postby TRENDKILL » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Well she is eating a can of dog food in about 2 minutes and her head is much much much more steady. Before when she would lift her head it was like she had Parkinson's or something. Now her head is much more steady. She is trying to walk she will flip around and has a little control of her front feet but not much control of her back feet. She will also drink a little on her own. When she has to go to the bathroom she will let you know and my dad tried to take her outside and she went crazy smelling and wagging her tail.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:26 pm

TRENDKILL wrote:Well she is eating a can of dog food in about 2 minutes and her head is much much much more steady. Before when she would lift her head it was like she had Parkinson's or something. Now her head is much more steady. She is trying to walk she will flip around and has a little control of her front feet but not much control of her back feet. She will also drink a little on her own. When she has to go to the bathroom she will let you know and my dad tried to take her outside and she went crazy smelling and wagging her tail.

awww! those whole thread is so scary! Im glad she is doing better!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm curious, when they dropped her off, did they opt for pre-anesthetic bloodwork?

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:54 pm

I am the one who dropped her off and the vet never said a word about pre-anesthetic blood work.

She is doing better. She was raising hell at about 3 AM and it took 3 of us to hold her and help her have a BM. She had very dark, pudding like poop. It was quite bad. She didn't poop a whole lot but it was about a half of a cup.

She will thrash around and try to walk and has fair control of her front legs but not too much control of her back legs. Like I said she will hold her self up but can't stand up on her own.

Yes, this thread is very scary.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:20 pm

TRENDKILL wrote:I am the one who dropped her off and the vet never said a word about pre-anesthetic blood work.

How about when the appointment was originally made/scheduled? I've always been asked about pre-anesthetic bloodwork, and the last time I opted for it, I actually had to sign a form and circle "yes" or "no" or something along those lines.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:27 pm

mommy2kane wrote:
TRENDKILL wrote:I am the one who dropped her off and the vet never said a word about pre-anesthetic blood work.

How about when the appointment was originally made/scheduled? I've always been asked about pre-anesthetic bloodwork, and the last time I opted for it, I actually had to sign a form and circle "yes" or "no" or something along those lines.

Exactly...here too. We have a pre-filled out form at the one vet, the other has a form we sign every time. We don't always do pre-anesthetic bloodwork, we do on dogs older than 5-6yrs. and also dogs who seem to have a health issue.

Perhaps when your dad made the appointment they asked him and he declined?

The reason I was curious about it, is it almost seems her body's having a hard time clearing the anesthetic.
A preexisting liver or kidney issue could possibly cause that. Where she's making progress it sounds kind of like she's finally clearing it but hasn't all the way?

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Both at the clinic where I take my animals and the low-cost clinic where I work there is an option for pre-anesthetic bloodwork for every surgery and you sign a statement saying that it is recommended. Was there any type of surgical consent form?

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:46 am

Glad she is doing better!

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:16 pm

TRENDKILL wrote:You know, we have never had complications from ear crops before. The father of all of our dogs Brutus didn't have problems, Widow and Rex didn't have problems and this vet did Rex's ears.

Another thing I think should be pointed out - every dog is an individual, offspring or not. Just because one dog got through a crop surgery fine, doesn't mean the next one will. And if this Vet has done all the other crop's on your dogs with so much success, why jump immediately to malpractice?

I'm very happy to hear she is doing much better!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

If she's still not able to stand and coordinate on her own very well, I would see if a vet in your area would be able to set up an appointment for some rehab exercises. Range of motion and sit-to-stand exercises would be EXTREMELY beneficial for your pup to maintain muscle mass, joint flexibility and muscle memory....

Sadly, its not something I can explain to you without showing you, so finding a vet knowledgable in rehabilitation is probably the best thing for you to be able to help her out...

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:45 pm

I am going to keep praying for you all and little Ivy!
I hope you can all hang in there and that she can as well. It's good to hear that she is doing better!
Come on Ivy-Baby you can make it little one.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:50 am

i'm not sure at all, but if a dog's poop is really dark doesn't that mean that their's possibly blood in the stool??

how is your dad feeling about the way she is progressing? do you think he's going to have her pts or wait it out? she does seem to be improving some...

such a sad situation, still have her in my thoughts :pray

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:29 pm

how is Ivy?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Hope she's doing better. :sad:

When Fiona had knee surgery last year the vet said she had a really hard time coming out of anesthesia and that they had to bag breath her for about 25min. Thankfully, she ended up just fine.

Sounds like maybe she had a bad reaction, which is certainly not unheard of.

:hug:

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:32 pm

mommy2kane wrote:

It was never offered to me. I scheduled the appointment, I dropped her off. The vet never said a word about pre-anesthetic blood work. It is not in the papers nor did I sign a paper declining it.

msvette2u wrote:
The reason I was curious about it, is it almost seems her body's having a hard time clearing the anesthetic.
A preexisting liver or kidney issue could possibly cause that. Where she's making progress it sounds kind of like she's finally clearing it but hasn't all the way?

Now this is where the malpractice comes in. On the notes the dosages for the anesthetic, and the sedative were crossed off 2 or 3 times for everything like they gave it to her, it didn't work, so they gave her more then it didn't work and they gave her the "maximum dosage" and overdosed her. I am no vet, I have no clue. I know my dad is going to file a complaint with the veterinary board here in AZ and have them investigate it.

PITtsburgher wrote:Both at the clinic where I take my animals and the low-cost clinic where I work there is an option for pre-anesthetic bloodwork for every surgery and you sign a statement saying that it is recommended. Was there any type of surgical consent form?

Of course there was a surgical consent form. I know it is reccommended, because I did it for my dog when I got him neutered. However, this vet did not say a word to me about it nor did she have me sign a paper declining it.

trexgorawrrrrr wrote:i'm not sure at all, but if a dog's poop is really dark doesn't that mean that their's possibly blood in the stool??

how is your dad feeling about the way she is progressing? do you think he's going to have her pts or wait it out? she does seem to be improving some...

such a sad situation, still have her in my thoughts :pray

Yes, that can be a sign of internal bleeding HOWEVER, the day after she came home, she had a BM and her stool was like normal. She didn't eat for 3 days. We got her some a/d food which is very nutrient rich and that was why her poop was so foul. She is eating Merrick "Thanksgiving Day Dinner" now and since she has been pooping on her own and off of the a/d her stool is fine.

We feel great about the way she is progressing. In the last week she has started:
-squatting to pee (as in she is stronger so she will squat instead of just giving in to the urge to pee)
-walking, we cannot get her to sit still. We put a harness on her and will walk her around and she will walk until she has tired herself out.
-pooping. She can have BM's on her own now and we are all happy about that.

We all feel happy with what is going on. She seems to be doing better and PTS is not an option at this point, unless she makes a turn for the worse. I am confident that she will go back to being "normal" but I do think she will be blind.

ALL IN ALL, SHE IS DOING WONDERFUL AND MAKING PROGRESS EVERYDAY. EVEN AFTER SHE IS OFF OF THE MEDS. EUTHANIZING AT THIS POINT IS NOT AN OPTION.

Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. She isn't out of the woods yet, but she is doing a hell of a lot better than she was. Much love from Katie, Ivy, Rex, Sidd, Widow, Brutus and my dad

Return to “Health Issues”