I seem more poor now, than before I had a job . .

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

I seem more poor now, than before I had a job . .

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:43 pm

As some of you may know, Maybelle has been really lethargic lately. She doesn't want to play, she's not very eager to eat and she just wants to lay on me all day. We went to the vet on Wednesday, and came home with the vet saying that he didn't know what it could be. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was allergies. We had bloodwork and a fecal done, both of which came back normal. I forgot to request a copy of the tests, so I'll go get that when we get her and post it up here.

Well after calling yesterday, after learning that there was no real improvement, the vet seemed alarmed and wanted her in first thing in the morning. After scrambling around to find a ride, I dropped her off at 9:00 A.M this morning. I just got a call [[It's now 12:38 PM]] saying that during palpitations that Maybelle had cried. The vet was suggesting that we do radiographs and a urinalysis. The cost of the two together was just something I couldn't afford.

So I opted for the radiographs which is still 179.11. I JUST got paid at midnight last night with 182.98. I can BARELY cover this, and not to mention the fact that I'm going to get an earful from my dad about spending money carelessly. I'm glad that I did sign up for a wellness plan, which did save me a little. I'm just so upset that this is so much money. I know dogs aren't cheap, and I'm spending the money, I just wish there were some other way.

Did I make the right choice in choosing just the radiographs? I could have taken the urinalysis too, but that literally would have left me with 1.52 in my name.

I don't know what really to say or do right now . . I guess I just need words of consolement. I'm scared that something is really wrong, I'm also scared of the wrath that my parents are going to give me for spending this kind of money. Although I did work for it and earn it myself, they still feel as though this is irresponsible . . Blatantly said, I'm really scared.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: I seem more poor now, than before I had a job . .

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Good news : It's not something too serious!

Bad news : It still evens out to be 200 + . . So I will be eating ramen noodles for awhile.

It turns out that she's been constipated for the last week or so, and her intestines are so backed up, that it was almost to the point where it would explode. She couldn't get it out because her poop is rock hard... See More. The doctor attempted another fecal, but it was impossible. They're preforming an enema on her right now, and when they call, I can come take her home.

I'm thinking her diet may contain too much bone, but she's never had this problem before . . ? I'm going to start alternating between bone in meats and boneless meats to see if there is a difference.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Sounds like to much bone to me. Poor baby! I'm so sorry about the cost!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Constipation is common in Senior pets, just like it is in people. The x-rays were a GREAT idea because they found a problem you can fix...

Less bone, more fiber...

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:29 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:Good news : It's not something too serious!

Bad news : It still evens out to be 200 + . . So I will be eating ramen noodles for awhile.

It turns out that she's been constipated for the last week or so, and her intestines are so backed up, that it was almost to the point where it would explode. She couldn't get it out because her poop is rock hard... See More. The doctor attempted another fecal, but it was impossible. They're preforming an enema on her right now, and when they call, I can come take her home.

I'm thinking her diet may contain too much bone, but she's never had this problem before . . ? I'm going to start alternating between bone in meats and boneless meats to see if there is a difference.

Was she still pooping-just not passing all of it?

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:49 pm

I saw her pooping a little, not much.

She's been having like cannon butt right now, but I'm not sure that it's actual poop or the enema. If I don't see her pooping by tomorrow morning, she needs to be brought in for another enema.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:07 pm

poor girl-she's lucky to have you

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:48 am

You're a minor and buying your own food? Your parents are required to feed you!

pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby pumpkinpunk » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:39 am

Agreed. Your parents need to support you. :huh?: Unless you are 18? There is no reason you should be living off of ramen if you are under their care after supporting your own dog with your own job.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:54 am

Maybelle is not your senior pet, is she? I thought that was a male Chihuahua.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:57 am

Isn't Maybelle about 3 or 4 years old? I'm glad you found out what the problem was!

You might try giving her some canned pumpkin, the plain one, not the pie filling. It is good for them and gives then fiber, helps to make them have more regular bowel movements.

I've been feeding mostly raw chicken thighs for the raw in my dog's diet. Those have a good ratio of meat to bone.

I don't like chicken backs for any regular feeding because they have so much bone. I used to get the backs for 17 cents a pound but I did not feed them often. I can buy chicken thighs for between 50 cents and $1 a pound.

And adding more salmon oil or fish oil might help too. Hope she's better soon!

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 am

I'm glad she is okay!

BTW ... you spent your money responsibly IMO! Your parents just aren't seeing the lesson that being responsible for another living creature sometimes mean we choose them over ourselves, that's all.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Maybelle is only about 5! Sorry, I missed correcting that.

Maybelle still hasn't pooped yet . . and it's been well over a week. I've been giving her extra fiber, and mixing water with blood just to get a little more hydration in. She's at the vet right now, getting another enema.

I just turned 18 in May, and just got a job in the beginning of June. I'm still saving my money for whatever may come. The good thing is that I am on the Optimum Wellness Plan now, which means I get services at a discounted rate and free vet visits, which has saved me a TON of money so far.

My parents think that now I've got a job, I can start paying for everything myself right away . . I'm still trying to get there.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:14 pm

You are a responsible young woman and I applaud your loyalty to Maybelle! Sorry to hear about her digestion problems and your money problems. It's great that you got on a plan with your vet though. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

I only fed raw for a while so I'm no expert, but the person I got my recipies from also put in veggie or fruit BottleHouse juices and soaked Sojourner Farms with her dog's meats. Maybe Maybelle needs some veggies for her digestive system. I don't know about how much or anything though. I am certain I have seen raw feeders here who use veggies that have been juiced with their meats.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Raw diets are not for every dog.
If it were me, I'd feed kibble if it kept her digestive tract straightened out - plus she must be miserable if she cannot go poo :(

Return to “Health Issues”