Don't know how to make her eat slower:(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Loki
Newborn Bully

Don't know how to make her eat slower:(

Postby Loki » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 am

I wanted to ask if anyone got some good ideas how to teach your dog to chill out meanwhile eating. We got 2 dogs, Loki a 11 month amstaff which eats under control. I can even tell him to leave the food and he will wait until I release him. Then we got the trouble child:) Hua a 15 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback.

She got raised by the breeders eating together with the sibling, dry kibble. We changed her slowly over to raw food and bones but realized very soon that she gets fanatic with food. She eats like she never seen food before. If we feed her in a bowl she will finish 200g in 10 seconds. I have given her some larger bones that she needs to chew on but she will run away, hide under the table and chew away. Chicken necks and wings get swallowed whole so we are carefully with those. I tried to hand feed her so she realized that she should chew but almost lost my fingers :). If I held the food tight she will try to rip it out of my hand.

So the main problem is that we would love to be able to feed her without kongs, freeze the foods or hide it. I don't really like the frenetic eating habits. She also got tendencies to be food agressive. I should also mention that we feed the puppies separate unless I spoon feed them and then they are sitting like angels next to each other and let me give them every second spoon. Still Hua, will bolt the food plus the spoon if I am not careful

Any suggestion are appreciated.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Don't know how to make her eat slower:(

Postby suzi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:04 am

When Bella's diet changed to Raw, she snorted down her food quicker than a blink of an eye......

So,,,,,,for a gift to the both of us a friend sent us one of these http://www.brake-fast.net/

It was a God-send.

Feeding raw,,,my suggestion is to grind everything since she gobbles whole pieces.

Remember that Hua is young....Patience and work when it comes to being "grabby". Work on it often, as sooner or later your hand will be part of her snack/meal.

Maybe (if you have a crate), feed treats in her crate only. That may be a good habit to teach.

My 2 cents.

Good luck!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:16 am

suzi wrote:Feeding raw,,,my suggestion is to grind everything since she gobbles whole pieces.

i'd suggest the opposite. feed BIG.
my dog would swallow necks and wings whole, so she doesn't get them. they're too small for her, and they sounds like they're way too small for your ridgeback! feeding bigger, more complicated meals will force her to slow down. if she tries to run away and hide it somewhere, feed her in a crate or teach her to eat on a mat/towel.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:23 am

kaytenmags wrote:
suzi wrote:Feeding raw,,,my suggestion is to grind everything since she gobbles whole pieces.

my dog would swallow necks and wings whole, so she doesn't get them. they're too small for her, and they sounds like they're way too small for your ridgeback! feeding bigger, more complicated meals will force her to slow down. if she tries to run away and hide it somewhere, feed her in a crate or teach her to eat on a mat/towel.

yup - this is how I teach dogs to slow down as well. You think you can swallow anything super fast - well, here's 1/2 a chicken, a whole chicken, a rack of ribs, etc.

You said she may have some food agression? Can you take food items away in a trade? If you feed really big things you may have to get creative if she is concerned about you taking away her food.

Also, she may just needs some time to learn that her dinner is her dinner and that other dogs aren't going to come over and eat it.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:04 pm

I agree on the feed big. Leo learned his 2nd meal of raw with a chicken back. He was so excited and just took a bite or 2 and tried to swallow the whole thing and damn near choked himself! He started coughing it back up and I had to help him take it out his throat, damn dog lol... since then he's been quite the chewer!! Just supervise when they're eating :)

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:00 pm

kaytenmags wrote:

x2...and being frozen helps also, it takes time to chew on something that is frozen, and it's a bit of a thought process, unless you have a big dumb bulldog..lol.

Loki
Newborn Bully

Postby Loki » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:37 am

Thanks for all your help.

FransterDoo: Hua is not "food aggressive" towards me as I can take away bones and food as long as she doesn't try to run away with them. We have been working on being able to take away bones as we thought it was important but is she for example have a nylabone (flavored chew toy) she will snarl towards Loki if he is trying to take it from her. The same with treats or food, hence the reason we started to feed them separate.

We have made the point that Hua should not be disturbed by Loki or any other dog when she eats. We do have crates for them but feeding raw in the crate makes such a mess and lots of extra cleaning:( We normally feed outside in seperate yards divided by a fence in steel mesh. They can hear each other but know that they can't reach each other.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 am

Loki wrote:.
FransterDoo: Hua is not "food aggressive" towards me as I can take away bones and food as long as she doesn't try to run away with them. We have been working on being able to take away bones as we thought it was important but is she for example have a nylabone (flavored chew toy) she will snarl towards Loki if he is trying to take it from her. The same with treats or food, hence the reason we started to feed them separate.

Thanks for the clairification. I wasn't sure by the way you initially wrote it. The vast majority of folks on this board feed separately and high value items (like nylabones) are alone/crate time treats.

If you do decided to feed really large items and ones that you may have to remove without her comsuming the whole thing, you may want to play the trade game. That way she knows that if she gives up her duck/chicken/whatever, then she gets a small hunk of cheese or piece of lunchmeat. Something equally high value.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:02 pm

kaytenmags wrote:

I agree with this... the bigger the better.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:21 pm

My friend used to feed her dog out of a muffin tray, she put some food in each little muffin spot and it slowed her down quite a bit.

Return to “Health Issues”