Weight loss at one year???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Weight loss at one year???

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:09 am

We have had our Kira for 1yr and she is now 1 yr old. She has been on TOTW High Praire since about 5 months old. She is a taller, slender pit, but her father is a monster sized short guy (she takes after her mom)

We were feeding 3 cups a day and fasting her one day every two weeks or so.

Anyway she was looking average built and in good shape up to about 1 month ago when we noticed her losing a bit of weight. We stopping the one day fast here and there and upped her to 4 cups and the weight contiued to drop. She started to look almost sickly (too much rib IMO and sucked up in the belly, but no hips poppin out) so I had been free feeding her all she can eat for the past 3 weeks and she is returning to her normal stature, though she really isnt eating any more than she was its just at different times.

Is it common for the dogs to lose weight at this age or when they mature? Her demeanor never changed and she is a happy energenic pup.

Shes received all her shots on time and is currently up to date.

Any Ideas? I have decide to contiue feeding all she wants since she is not over doing it. Also she used to freak out and eat like a mad dog before and now she sits calmly and seems to snack instead of horfing it down so fast she pukes.

Thanks.

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Re: Weight loss at one year???

Postby Lisalrenee » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:12 am

Zoe is about to be 2, and she dropped about 5 lbs after her first birthday to settle right around 50lbs, give or take a couple pounds dpeending on the time of day she's on the scale. Her body also changed - where she used to look like a tank, she's now got a much more fit figure. I was hoping for a similar thing to happen w/ Maizey, who turned 1 last month, and she has dropped a couple pounds, but still has a 'tank' like body. I would say changes are to be expected - at 1, they still aren't done growing and changing.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 am

Are you sure she actually lost weight? Did you weight her? I ask because as dogs mature they may redistribute weight and some get taller and lanky in stages before they fill out. Weigh her and keep an eye on the weight.

Rapid weight loss is never normal IMO. If she continues to drop weight, I'd say a vet check is warranted and probably blood work to check for a thyroid issue if all else is OK.

Post a picture.

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:27 am

I haven't weight her, but she has not grown taller. I have noticed her jaw muscles have grown but not much else. As I said she has got back to what I consider a health looking weight, but here is a pic at her thinnest, about 2-3 weeks ago.

She has gained maybe 5 pounds and her ribs are meatier now. As you can see in the pics (even though they are not good pics) her coat is very nice and she looks healty otherwise.

Thanks for the input. I'll get a pic today to share her at her current size.

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:29 am

I think my pics were too big. She really does have a head lol

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:32 am

She probably just matured and no longer has "baby fat", rather like many growing boys who get chubby in their pre-teen years then turn lanky at around 16-17yrs. of age.
Is she spayed? If not you may want to consider doing so, to eliminate the risk of pyometra and certain cancers as time goes on.
I'd also not worry about her food intake, unless you're doing a lot of strenuous exercise with her. I mean, don't leave food out - dogs tend to eat better when fed at certain times and not allowed to just have food all day long. For a dog her size, I'd start with 2- 3 cups a day split between two meals.
Her body weight looks fine from those photos.

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:50 am

She is not spayed. we do feed her twice a day now but about 2 cups per sitting. she wont finish it all must of the time so Im comfortable with the fact that she is just at an awkward stage. I am hoping she fills in a bit more, just a lil more stocky. People around here are used to seeing the bully pits(super short think and mean looking) so when they see Kira they always ask if we are starving her. Its hard to explain to people that they are ignorate and they are for once seeing a health pit at a safe "natural" weight.

She does get alot of excersize. nightly walks for about 30-45 mins and about 30 mins of tredmill time which she enjoys. plus all the runnin around she can do in an average city sized back yard, plenty of room to run.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:52 am

I don't think she's ribby at all, I certainly wouldn't try to put any additional weight on her.

When people ask if they're starving, tell them you have one of the few dogs thats not obese!! Canine obesity is just as common as human obesity, people have forgotten what dogs are supposed to look like!

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I agree!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:51 pm

She doesn't look at all too thin to me. :thumbsup:

Stella redistributed her weight big time between 1-2yrs old. She weighs a couple pounds less, but has much more definition/muscle and more rib showing.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:08 pm

She looks fine in those pics. :) If you put 5 pounds on her since then, she is probably too heavy now. Keep her lean, it is better for her :)

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 am

I;ll get a couple more recent hopefully tomorrow. thanks

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:24 pm

the pic taking has been post poned. My poor guy is sick as you may have read in the other thread. It looks like parvo and I am getting him tested tomorrow.
He still hasn't eating just drinks and vomits. I'm tring Chicken and rice tonight with pedialyte and then off to the vet.

Wish us luck and pleae keep him in your thoughts and hope he comes out okay.

Thank you

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Best of luck and get well soon wishes for your new guy!

Return to “Health Issues”