Tristan chokes on water

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
msvette2u

Tristan chokes on water

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Every time Tristan drinks, he gags and chokes. Sometimes he gags up a tiny amt. of water during his coughing.
He eats with no problems.
Any ideas why he does this? He's done it since the day we got him 2yrs. ago in Sept.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Tristan chokes on water

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:00 pm

probably a swallowing disfunction of some sort... might take a neurologist and/or fluoroscopy to get a diagnosis...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Egads.
How do I know if it's serious enough to go through all that? The nearest neuro's at least 3-4 hrs. away.
He's survived this long...but I wondered if he'd avoid water because of it?
Remember, too, Tristan is paralyzed from his ribs down. He came to us that way and regained the use of his back legs enough to run around and play.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Chances are there won't be much to do about it... food you can do trial and error, water you cannot.

If he ever comes down with aspiration pneumonia, then I'd do the diagnostics... otherwise, just tell him to slow down!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:38 pm

But that's just it - he drinks normally. He laps it up just like all the others, doesn't gulp it :\
But afterwards, every time, he gags for a bit. Sometimes part of it comes up. I don't get it.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:43 pm

My brothers dog, Alexis (rez mutt, possible BC mix) does something similar.

She'll drink water, then she'll walk away from the bowl and gag up some of what she drank. She doesn't always do it, just sometimes.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Yeah that's what he does, but I'm pretty sure he does it every time. I mean, maybe sometimes I don't notice lol but he always does it when I notice him drinking.
Like, at first, he was pretty confined by the paralysis and so sat on the couch most the day so I'd bring him water and he did it every time.
And now, he's mobile but every time I see him drink he does it.
My main concern was if he avoided drinking because of it, but I don't know how you'd know.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 am

You can thicken the water and see if he still likes it. Check out the ingredients in Thick It and ask your vet if it's OK. I think it's disgusting and he might as well but he probably wouldn't choke if the water were thicker. Thick It is used for people with problems swallowing.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks, I will check into that!

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:52 pm

I don't know if it would help or not, but my initial thought was to see if he'd drink out of one of those inverted water dispensers (a bigger version of what hamsters drink from). Maybe that would slow him down more than your usual drinker and might help? :dunno: Just a thought.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 pm

buckaroo wrote:You can thicken the water and see if he still likes it. Check out the ingredients in Thick It and ask your vet if it's OK. I think it's disgusting and he might as well but he probably wouldn't choke if the water were thicker. Thick It is used for people with problems swallowing.

Interesting! Good luck! Tucker, my 12 yr wheaten, has always been a regular puker with food and water. We've just assumed he's gross. :oops:

Return to “Health Issues”