Vaccine results in lathargic and vomiting/concerned.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Vaccine results in lathargic and vomiting/concerned.

Postby BlueKira » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:41 am

Hi everyone, I have a concern about our newest family member.

Shadow is 1 yr old and moved in with us 1 week ago. He is a large very relaxed APBT. The previous owner never got him his shots. So I required they get the first set done before I accepted him.

He came back from the clinic after receiving a one year pack of vaccine, and he was extra tired and not hungry.
We continued his walks, about a mile, and we offered him food a few times a day though he would not touch it. He has now got to the point where you have to pull him on to his feet and he will walk once up.

He continues to not eat (I've seen him eat only about 2 cups in the week we've had him, but he is drinking a normal amount) and he has diarrhea.

While we were on our walk this evening he started out slow and around the half mile mark he picked up the pace to a steady walk, ears back, head up and looking good. On the down hill side of our walk he started vomiting, alot, no food of course just liquids, mostly clear no red. Afterwards he all but refused to move.

I got him in motion again though very slow, kinda of wobbly walk and we made it home. Since then he did throw up a small amount again and is very lathargic.

Tonight he doesn't even want to come in the house, he is laying about 15 feet from the door and just looks at you when you call him and whistle and all that good stuff. He did at one time stand up on his own and decided to lay back down in a different position so he has the strength needed to come in.

A bit more on his background that you may have read in another thread: He is used to being outside all the time with no attention and not let in the house (at his past home, we prefer him inside here)
Could he just be happier outside by himself since thats what he is used to?
Also what is the special food you all use to make your little ones eat when they don't want to, peanut butter, steak, I tried some chicken broth in his TOTW and he just turned his nose at it.

I asked the previous owner before we got him what they were feeding him and they said Old Roy. I told them that stuff is horrible and they said he will not eat anything else, I'm starting to believe this and may go buy a bag just for him to see if he will eat it.

I appreciate all the help I can get from you all. I will be getting him to a vet if he does not improve and am calling the vaccine problems line tomorrow.
Thank You

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Vaccine results in lathargic and vomiting/concerned.

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:48 am

Vaccines can certainly cause lethargy, poor appetite etc... I would check his temperature and if he's not feeling better by mid-day get him into the vet. Make sure to call your vet early so the appointments aren't all booked up by afternoon!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:14 am

Boiled chicken and rice are pretty mild, and usually dogs will eat it.

Also when he starts feeling better, if he still has the runs you can give him pumpkin, it will firm up his stool.

Personally, if it were me, he'd be at the vet already. But I'm a worry wart. I'd just be so worried that he wasn't getting everything he needed....and was getting dehydrated. But if you feel, even though he's not eating, he's getting enough water then you may feel differently. (Also I don't get charged an office fee, so that might be part of my decision making as well).

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:39 pm

I have spoken to a few vets, (since he doesn't have his own yet), and they are thinking he got Parvo since he had not been vaccinated for the 1st yr of his life.

This makes me very angry, these people ignore this poor dog and all seemed fine, I take the proper steps to ensure he is healthy, safe and happy and I get a sick pup.

I need to take him in and get bloodwork done to see whats really causing the illness. I started him on some benadryl incase it was an allergy. If its Parvo he gets to stay there and get medical attention, good for him, expensive for me. I don't mind spending money on him I'm just mad that the past owners didn't care enough to this done, they are lazy and I hope they get sick. This poor guy doesn't deserve this.

Again I would appreciete any info you all could share with me, especially those who work in the vet field. Any home remedies. I'm not sure its Parvo because he is drinking well and I hear parvo cause lack of thirst as well as loss of appetite.

Any ideas?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 pm

If there is ANY chance he has parvo, he should have been at the vet this morning. Without supportive care, parvo can kill a dog in 24 hours...

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 pm

We are giving him small amounts of pedialyte and the vet said to holkd off on the chicken and rice until he can hold down the liquid.
He is going in in the morning.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm

here is a link to a holistic timcture and self help guide for PARVO
many dogs/people have had great success with their parvo tea(they have a recipe on the self help guide for the tea)
I am not suggesting you not also take him to your vet.

http://www.ambertech.com/products/parvaid-tm.html/

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, we got him to the vet this morning and they gave him a shot of antibiotics and anti nausea and sent us home with pills for vomiting and antibiotics.
He actually seems to be feeling better. He was able to get up and walk out of the Vets (something he hadn't done for over 24 hours, so thats a big step in the right direction)
He has kept pedialyte and water down for 6hrs now and is looking a little more alert. We should see big improvments in him by tomorrow after the meds have 24 hrs to really get to work. :pray

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:25 am

so the parvo test was negative-YEAH
feel better soon boy

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Actually the Parvo test came back this morning and it is positive, its Parvo.
Still we think we made it past the hard part. He is acting a little better still and was able to keep down a small amount of rice this afternoon.
We are continueing he antibiotics, of course, and he has only threw up a couple times this morning.

He even got up and went outside for a minute to hike his leg, for a very long time, and did a fast walk over to the garden where my wife was watering for a small drink.

We are giving him a 1/2 cup of water to slurp on every hour along with a table spoon of pedialyte every half hour, he does not like it, plain or purple, and will try some more rice this evening with his meds.

I cant wait for him to get better, and happy again.

Please, Please vaccinate your puppies. This could have all been avoided with a $15 shot from the feed store and he would be healthy right now. I'm still angry with the past owners for neglecting him as a pup and never taking him anywhere.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:26 pm

If he's vomiting, he should not be fed... he should be in the hospital on IV fluids if at all possible.

Do not feed him until he's holding down water for at least 6 hours...

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:52 am

Misskiwi, thank you for the info, I'll keep that in mind.
We gave him about a teaspoon of rice and it was only after he held fluids for about 7 hours. It was good that he was interested but we are not rushing it. Its been about 12 hrs now since he has threw up. and no blood in vomit since yesterday.
He has had maybe 2 cups of water in the 12 hours. We just gave him his meds with a squirt of pedialyte and he seems to be doing good for the night.

I thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:45 am

Thats GREAT!!! Feed him small amounts every 2 hours if he's not vomiting. If he vomits, stop food for 4-6 hours and try again. His poor little intestines need nutrition as quickly as possible, but ONLY if he's not vomiting.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:53 am

come on Shadow
you CAN beat this stinking parvo buddy!!! :pray :pray :pray

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Sounds good! Keep on fighting Shadow!

Return to “Health Issues”