Vaccine results in lathargic and vomiting/concerned.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Vaccine results in lathargic and vomiting/concerned.

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:44 pm

So sorry about your pup!! Sounds like he is in good hands with you though!!

Keeping you guys in our thoughts!

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:56 am

Hope he continues to feel better!

When he's all the way better remember to bleach your house like crazy, and it can be present for years in your yard, so bear that in mind as far as having puppies visit your house down the road.

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Happy 4th to all.

Thanks for the continued support and tips.

Shadow is still not feeling good but we are seeing signs of recovery. He started to wag his tail yesterday while we were sitting with him and petting him and then last night we let him out for a minute for a potty break and afterwards he trotted over to the other dogs and was wagging his tail and they were greeting eachother. He is still seperated from the rest of the pack but seemed to enjoy seeing the troop.

Still has not eaten more than a few grains of rice in over a week, we are getting some baby food today, chicken and rice.

As far as the vomiting, he does about once a day, last night he got up and wondered around the room, first time to do this on his own will, and he threw up on way way to the door to outside.

We continue to show him support and let him know we love him and allow the kids to calmly come back and sit with him for a few minutes each.
The tail wags meant alot to us as he is new here and we have not seem his happy side yet, very promising. I think it was his way of telling us thanks for stickin by him.

Tring to find good in a bad situation, I feel this ordeal will give him the feeling of safety and since of family here in his new home after he feels better, that may have taken months to achieve under normal circumstances. Do you agree?

Enjoy your holiday and remember to have a place ready for your pups where they can feel safe when the fireworks start popping. This strange noise and smell can really freak a dog out.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 pm

BlueKira wrote:Please, Please vaccinate your puppies. This could have all been avoided with a $15 shot from the feed store and he would be healthy right now. I'm still angry with the past owners for neglecting him as a pup and never taking him anywhere.

I feel compelled to address this .... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get your vaccinations from a FEED store.

They often do NOT store the vaccines properly, and they often get them from sources that sell expired vaccines or also do not store them properly. This is like going to 7-11 to get a vaccination for your kids (and if you would actually DO that ... well then I just have no words, LOL). Also, the drug companies will NOT back their product if you get it from a source OTHER than a veterinarian.

Vets and techs are trained and licensed to provide vaccinations - they KNOW the path that their vaccines have taken, and they will NOT administer expired drugs or ones that were not stored properly, AND will work with you to reach the drug company if something goes wrong with a lot of their vaccines.

You go buy a shot from the feed store - and it turns out that it was not stored properly and it is no longer effective, then it's the same thing as paying 15 bucks for a shot of water, and you have NOT protected your pet one iota! So if it goes and gets parvo, or distemper, or anything else - it's literally the owners fault for not going to a reliable source to get their vaccinations.

Please go to the vet for medical care, not a feed store! After all, this dog might have been vaccinated ... maybe they went to the feed store and did it themselves and even if it was perfectly fine at the feed store ... maybe they left it on the counter or in the car for a couple of weeks before getting around to it ... then they'd have felt that he was vaccinated and safe, when of course, what they gave wasn't good at all.

To the poster - I'm sorry this happened to your poor puppy! I'm glad that he is holding up, and I do hope that he gets better soon! Sending you my thoughts and prayers!

:pray

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I really don't like that your pup is still vomiting and not eating at this point... I think its REALLY important you get him some better fluids, be it under the skin at home or IV fluids at the vet...

Puppies treated at home have a 50/50 survival rate vs. an 80% or better chance of survival at the veterinarian with IV fluids and IV antibiotics. I was hopeful when your pup was eating, but he should be getting better faster than this if he has an appetite at this point in time.

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 am

Though he is not eating he is acting better. getting up and walking when he wants. Food and water are still an issue, but we are taking him to a recommended vet on Tuesday if he is not eating by then.

He has more energy and a better attitude now, but still food and water make him queezy. We will at least get him pumped full of fluids and get the Ringers injection so he does not dehydrate. His skin does snap back quickly still and not seem dehydrated but the more fluids the better. I think this vet will allow us to set up a payment plan so he will get all the attention he needs even if that means he stays there a day or two.

I know Shadow would get better care from a professional, but please realize we are not neglecting him his needs. He has seen a vet and we are follow his orders. Shadow is being taken care of 24hrs a day and is not left alone to be sick or scared. We are doing all we can at this time and he will be seeing another vet here in a day if huge improvments are not seem tomorrow.

Thanks

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 am

Though he is not eating he is acting better. getting up and walking when he wants. Food and water are still an issue, but we are taking him to a recommended vet on Tuesday if he is not eating by then.

Pedialyte isn't a good substitute for hydration unless you're a baby (human infant).

I feel compelled to address this .... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get your vaccinations from a FEED store

That's excellent advice.

I really don't like that your pup is still vomiting and not eating at this point... I think its REALLY important you get him some better fluids, be it under the skin at home or IV fluids at the vet...

x50!
Here's the thing - people do not realize that parvo kills because it basically shreds the lining of the stomach/intestines.
It was explained to me in detail why sub-cu or IV fluids are best, and why the dog needs antibiotics (constantly, not just one shot!)
The bacteria from the gut and intestines go into the bloodstream and kill the dog that way, as well as fluid loss - again, from damaged tissues.
When you keep putting things down the gut you are not giving it a chance to heal and there's no way the body can assimilate the fluids from shredded/damaged lining in the stomach/intestines.

It is critical you STOP oral intake at once when a parvo diagnosis is confirmed, and get the dog on IV or sub-cu fluids.
Otherwise you're just prolonging the illness as you are seeing now. The dog is still not out of the woods because you only mentioned one antibiotic shot, not daily antibiotics via IV or Sub Cu.

We've treated dozens of parvo cases in our last 4 years of rescue and there is just no way you can get a good response by cramming things down the dog's throat constantly, it doesn't matter if it's pedialyte or battery acid, it may as well be either one, as the stomach/intestines are damaged and must rest for healing to take place, and do not overlook the critical addition of antibioics - again, not oral.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm

He's a year old, right? So not really a pup but a young dog.

It might be better to fast him for a day so his insides can rest and heal. Fluids are needed but you can give those under the skin.

Have you tried giving him any Tamiflu? That works well for parvo cases, maybe ask you vet for some?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

We lost an 8mo. old "pup" to parvo. It's not like age is a protective factor.
The bacteria will overwhelm the body until the dog dies from that as much as anything else.
Because there is a protective mucous lining on the stomach and intestines that keep bacteria where they should be, in the intestines, and once the mucous is gone (due to the damage from the parvo) the bacteria enter the bloodstream.
I didn't realize this until we had a vet outline and explain it to us.

For parvo puppies here we give IV fluids with anti-nausea/vomiting medication in it, and an injectable antibiotic that goes in the IV as well. We also add B-complex vitamins for energy and recovery, but it's quite painful sub-cu or IM so we IV that as well.
But again, that treatment starts from the moment parvo is suspected and/or confirmed.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Good veterinary article about parvo, which explains why hospitalization or at least daily fluids are so important:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... &C=0&A=580

At my (low low cost) clinic we do outpatient fluids if the owners cannot afford to go to a regular vet. Owners come in daily for fluids until the dogs are able to maintain hydration orally. I would really recommend getting daily fluids even if you cannot afford to hospitalize the dog.

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi. I am happy to report that Shadow is eating, and taking his pills with Science Diet which was given to us by a vet. He is very energetic and a much happier dog, even playing in little spurts with the pack.
Two days ago we got a lactated ringer system from the vet and began it that night. I think it was just the boost we needed to get over the hump. The vet told us that the fact that he was over a year old and a rather large dog was on his side. The vet also instructed us to give him pedialyte as well as water. So we are slowly increasing the serving amounts and continuing the TLC.

All the POSITIVE thoughts and the fact that Shadow knew we wanted to love and care for him is what got him through this horrible time. We as a family including my 11 year old daughter dedicated our selves to be sure that he got his medication, pedialyte, water around the clock, and love 24/7. We invested so much into him and now he is getting better and has the life he deserves.
Thank you all who gave support.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:31 am

Fluids are the magical cure!!! The real killer in parvo is dehydration, and the gut just isn't working well enough to do it all by itself more often than not. Good on you for recognizing he needed a boost and getting him what he needed!

Glad to hear your pup is getting better... keep up with those positive thoughts! And post some pictures!!!

BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Postby BlueKira » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi everybody!
Shadow has come through parvo and we have changed his name to Ambrose which is Greek for "Immortal". We thought it was perfect for him, we usually call him "Bro" for short.
Bro isn't eating his full amout of food yet but doing so much better than before. The Vet advised us to give him pumpkin to losen his bowels to make it easier to poop. I guess when dogs don't eat for long periods of time they have trouble digesting and pooping.
Bro is even playing with his sister and barking non-stop when he isn't happy with something.
We are looking forward to his next vaccination so we can go for walks, he is not fond of walking on the treadmill yet unlike our other dogs.

Return to “Health Issues”