weight issues, can any body help me with this???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
angel&shaynesmomma
Newborn Bully

weight issues, can any body help me with this???

Postby angel&shaynesmomma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:24 pm

I have 5 yr old female apbt that has allways had weight issues....she was healthy happy, playing, normal all around dog dewormed her thru the yrs an tryd good dog foods an nothing worked. 3 months ago she had a litter of pups an she looked terrible I was thinking she was terribly sick and had blood test done on her an they said every thing looked good but her calcium was border line to high to cut back on her vitamins. He also told me about SOLID GOLD dog food, so as soon as I found a place that sold it I got it. They have many choices to pick from but one stood out to me, it was called barking at the moon and it was for high performance 42% protien and 21% fat. Within 4 days she started gaining her mucel back and started looking better, The bag lasted 2 months but didnt have another 64 $ for a 32lb bag. I started giving her our other dogs food which is the original beneful an she has gotten huge shes in the best shape she has been in her life! Ive tryed every thing to get her to look heathly an nothing has worked till I tryd solid gold for 2 months then beneful.
Has any one else had problems like this or is it my dogs just getting old an her motabalism isnt as high any more??????

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: weight issues, can any body help me with this???

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:28 pm

When you say "huge" do you mean that she's gotten fat? I'm a little confused.

Beneful is, in many folks opinion, the lower rent taco bell of the dog food world. So what you might be seeing is a ton of weight gain and not much lean muscle growth.

angel&shaynesmomma
Newborn Bully

Postby angel&shaynesmomma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm

She still has mucel just gained alot of weight which Iam glad for. Ive never been able to get her to gain weight she has always had mucel an lots of it but now her ribs or her back bone dont show. When I would take her places every one thaught I wasnt feeding her she was so skinny which was not the problem.
She still has yet to go into heat after her puppys so I dont know if that plays apart in it also. What does beneful have in it that makes them get fat?

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:32 pm

angel&shaynesmomma wrote:She still has mucel just gained alot of weight which Iam glad for. Ive never been able to get her to gain weight she has always had mucel an lots of it but now her ribs or her back bone dont show. When I would take her places every one thaught I wasnt feeding her she was so skinny which was not the problem.
She still has yet to go into heat after her puppys so I dont know if that plays apart in it also. What does beneful have in it that makes them get fat?

Do you mean muscle? I was a bit confused by your post as well but I think you're saying on certain foods she gets fat while others she doesn't. I believe this is due to the ingredients in the food. Beneful is high in fat from what Ive heard and that could be the cause of her sudden weight gain. I would suggest reading up on different dog foods and adjusting the amount of food as needed. My two are on Wellness Core and they are in the best shapes they have ever been in. When we got them we started them out on Pedigree Puppy and they both looked bloated and very fat. So we switched them to the Wellness Puppy and in a matter of weeks you could see the difference. They had a lot more muscle and were a lot more toned. We feed the 1 cup twice a day. As I said before just read up on good quality dog foods. There are a lot out there and yeah they are a bit expensive but worth every penny. We pay $57 for a big bag of dog food for my two.

angel&shaynesmomma
Newborn Bully

Postby angel&shaynesmomma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:50 pm

she has lots of mucel. She looks the same mucel wise its just her ribs and back bone dont show any more she looks healthy. I just was wondering if any one else has gone thru the same thing with there dogs or if mine is just stubborn in that department. Ive tryd every thing to get her to a decent weight and the beneful is working so should I keep her on it or switch? She weighed 45lbs 2 months ago for her vet visit and the vet said she should be atleast 50, this monday I took her back in and she weighs 55!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 pm

have you weaned her puppiespoff her yet?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Very few people seem to know what an overweight dog looks like (and the vast majority of pet dogs are overweight) People always seem to think their pets are 'solid' when they are, quite simply, fat. If you can't see any outline of rib anymore, she is most likely overweight now. Do you have pictures?

Return to “Health Issues”