Innova, Proctor & Gamble & food lebeling in general (long)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Innova, Proctor & Gamble & food lebeling in general (long)

Postby addieNmel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:46 pm

To those concerned about Innova:
If you wish not to support a big company like Proctor & Gamble, it is a personal choice, and thats fine. I personally do not like the sale, but I will continue to buy Innova until (if) there is an ingredient change.

Out of concern for my own pets and because of client questions I used my veterinary connections and contacted the aafco chair of the petfood committee regarding labeling changes and this so called ' 6 month window' rumor that has been going around. I am in no way affiliated with P&G or Natura ( I'm a vet tech, and personally feed and have seen the good the line as done for my pets) but I am tired of seeing all the bashing of this good food just because the company sold itself.

My question was " Is there a time period companies can go by when changing an ingredient ( no matter how minor) on a label or does it have to be changed immediately?" here is her reply:

Since AAFCO is a "model" for state pet food regulations, I cannot speak for every state. BUT, the label of a pet food must represent the contents in the can, box or bag. I know of no regulation that allows a company to distribute a product under a label that is inaccurate. However, a state feed control official may allow a company to use up their existing inventory for a minor labeling error, but this is rare. This practice should typically never occur for changes with a product's ingredients or when there is a concern about the safety of the pet food. For instance, if a company made a error in the text on the label and perhaps made a claim that was not acceptable, I might be willing to allow the company to use up their existing inventory while they printed corrected labels. But, if a company was using an ingredient that was not allowed in animal feed and pet food, and they were told they had to remove that unacceptable ingredient, I would not allow the company to use up their inventory of old labels.

They would not be allowed to use a label that listed that unacceptable ingredient even if they had removed that ingredient from their product formula. I suppose I could allow them to block out that particular ingredient, usually if this was for a small local company. But blocking out an ingredient would be impossible for a large company who distributed products nationally since no one would be able to edit that many labels by hand!

As another example, a company contacted me asking if they could use their existing labels that listed "salmon", but they wanted to switch to another type of fish. I told them they could not use their existing labels. If their label had stated "fish", then they could vary the different types of fish in their formulation. But when the label specifically stated "salmon", they could not use that same label when using trout, whitefish, or some other type of fish.

The label of an animal feed or pet food that lists an incorrect ingredient statement is in violation of state and federal law. There is no allowance or exemption in the regulation for using old labeling for a reformulated product. If for some reason a state feed control official did allow that practice, that state feed control official's decision would not apply to product sold in any other state. Approval of an incorrect label would only be allowed in that one state which allowed it.

If you are any of your customers have a complaint or a concern about a pet food, please contact your state's feed control official. You can find the contact information for your state's feed control official on the AAFCO website at www.aafco.org. Click on "Directory" at the very top header bar, and on the dropdown list, click on "Membership Directory". Then scroll down to find your state's listing. We may not be aware of a problem unless someone alerts us.
- end of message -

Did you know that one of the most popular brands of organic dairy ( stoneyfield) is now owned ( bought a while back) by deans? Yet, the quality remains the same, and the farm is still run organically and with humane care for the animals. I am certainly not for huge companies and tend to agree smaller companies are better, but lets not freak out!

So yes, a company can certainly change ingredients, and may use whats left over, but only if the change is not major ( not a different 'substance' completely) and not harmful. There is no set ' time period' they're allowed.

Bottom line: feed and recommend what ever you're comfortable with. Dont bash these products because of a change that hasnt occured. I am trying to help out the community by providing information, I am in no way in favor of a particular diet - feed what works best for your pet. I'm just doing my best to provide useful and helpful information. Hope it helps!

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Re: Innova, Proctor & Gamble & food lebeling in general (long)

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 pm

P&G recently made a statement where they said they were going to allow the Natura brands to continue to use their ingredients for another "x" amount of months. It was something like "18" months if I remember correctly. However, P&G also tests on animals. I think that's my big issue.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:45 pm

GunMom wrote:However, P&G also tests on animals. I think that's my big issue.

So does Natura... they have their very own custom built food laboratory complete with canine kennels. I would imagine this is a major part of the buy-out. Natura was on the road to becoming a major competitor, with goals to one day create a competing line of veterinary prescription diets... at least thats what we were told by the reps in vet school after they built the facility.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
GunMom wrote:However, P&G also tests on animals. I think that's my big issue.

So does Natura... they have their very own custom built food laboratory complete with canine kennels. I would imagine this is a major part of the buy-out. Natura was on the road to becoming a major competitor, with goals to one day create a competing line of veterinary prescription diets... at least thats what we were told by the reps in vet school after they built the facility.

Not just the food. :(
http://www.pandgkills.com/main.html

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:14 pm

GunMom wrote:P&G recently made a statement where they said they were going to allow the Natura brands to continue to use their ingredients for another "x" amount of months. It was something like "18" months if I remember correctly. However, P&G also tests on animals. I think that's my big issue.

Was this posted on a site somewhere? I'd like to know. At least with what I found out we should have some warning if a change occurs, which eases my mind a bit. I hope they wont, but I do have 'back up foods' incase. I'd hate to change though, I love Innova.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 pm

addieNmel wrote:
GunMom wrote:P&G recently made a statement where they said they were going to allow the Natura brands to continue to use their ingredients for another "x" amount of months. It was something like "18" months if I remember correctly. However, P&G also tests on animals. I think that's my big issue.

Was this posted on a site somewhere? I'd like to know. At least with what I found out we should have some warning if a change occurs, which eases my mind a bit. I hope they wont, but I do have 'back up foods' incase. I'd hate to change though, I love Innova.

Sure. :) My boyfriend was the one who found it, I'll tell him to look it up for you once he gets home.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:32 am

GunMom wrote:
Not just the food. :(
http://www.pandgkills.com/main.html

Ya ya ya... 2004... seriously old news...

Return to “Health Issues”