Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GunMom
Newborn Bully

Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:08 pm

So my dog, Eris, likes to eat things. Firstly, it is NOT destructive chewing. This can happen right after I've exercised and trained the dogs. She will go find something and actually INGEST it. She either throws it up or it shows up in her stool the next day. We NEVER have problems with her chewing on things when she's bored. When she gets really bored she usually "bows" to play with me and lets out a high-pitched bark. When we found this out about her we kept her on a short leash in doors for awhile. I brought it up to the vet and she said it was probably nothing. My boyfriend is pretty apathetic about it as well.

She eats a number of small plastic, wood or even metal things if she can fit it into her mouth. This includes blue tooth headsets, pencils, crate pad zippers, markers, dirt (pounds of dirt) and just about anything you can think of.

I'm at my wits end. This morning my boyfriend let her out of her crate around 8 am. I usually wake up at 9am-10am. During this period Eris normally jumps on the bed and sleeps in with me. However, I woke up around 9:20 to realize she wasn't with me. I panicked and ran out into the living room where she had devoured and entire stick of deodorant. Not just the gooey stuff on the inside, the plastic and everything. I would have never known if I didn't find a VERY small fragment of the label in her mouth that she was about to swallow. She's like a mental patient with these things. When I try to dig it out of her mouth she hides in under her tongue.

I have never had a dog do this before. I normally work with Huskies and Malamutes which are some of the most destructive breeds I have encountered. (I ran out to get a crate for a malamute I was fostering so I put her in the care of my room mate who I no longer live with because he's an idiot. He locked her in my room and didn't bother watching her. I came home to Hurricane "Miso-Dog") I know what destructive chewing + destructive behavior + separation anxiety looks like. This is not it.

I am going into the vet with her at 11am today, hopefully to get her to throw up the deodorant stick and talk to the vet more about this. It's a different vet this time, so hopefully I get more out of him then "HA-HA. I am a vet! You do not know what you're talking about!"

So far the only things I can find online are "pika". We feed her Wellness white fish formula which is considered "ultra-premium" it is right up there with the Natura brand (well, until P&G changes the ingredients. lol ). So I doubt she isn't getting the minerals she needs. :S

What is this? What should I do?

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Re: Nobody is helping. (Pica? Or What?)

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm

EDIT: And by Pika, I mean Pica. ;)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Dogs eat things... stupid things... all the time... just because they are there... In the past 2 months I've seen a billiard ball, a rubber bouncy ball, a rock, a zipper, and a sewing needle all be surgically removed from dogs stomachs.

I suggest you teach your dog a "leave it" command and train some impulse control. If this does not work, a behaviorist is probably your next step.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Dogs eating things is not normal. :( I've fostered many dogs and none of them have ingested FULL items this often.

However, dogs CHEWING and being destructive is something that is common because the dog isn't being stimulated. This behavior can turn into pica if it isn't dealt with at a young age, which is the consumption of inedible objects. I taught Eris "leave it" and "drop it" at 4 months. :(

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Taking off to the vet now. Be back later.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:19 pm

ME: "Oh yeah, so my dog ate an entire stick of deodorant including the plastic. She also eats metal and wood etc. etc."
VET: "NO WORRIES. HAVE A GOOD DAY NOW BYEBYE!"
ME: "o____o"

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Her eating things is her way of telling you she's bored. If you can't watch her then she shouldn't be left to her own devices (to eat whatever she pleases).

I've had tons of dogs through my home, I run a rescue and foster alot. Some dogs are more apt to chew things, or ingest them then others. This is why we do not leave them unattended, if they do it once chances are they will do it again when your back is turned. Crate your dog when you cant watch her, for her own safety as well as the safety of your personal belongings.

Perhaps try excercising her more, provide her with mind stimulating toys, bones, antlers, something to chew on.

We also don't leave small objects within reach of our dogs just in case.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Nevermind.
It was my mistake posting this because everyone is going to assume the same thing. :sad:

I train and work with Eris several times a day. We have been training for agility and canine good citizenship. She never shows signs of boredom unless she barks at me. The only way this could be a product of boredom is if it's behavioral issues carried over into adulthood. I'm going to have her tested and a behaviorist is coming over to work with my husky. I might have her worth with Eris as well.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Also, in response to Brindlelvr, we dont leave her alone unsupervised. She has a crate which we put her in whenever we are not home. However, there are rare situations when things like this happen. They have happened all of her life. It's not like she FREQUENTLY ingests things, but it's been on more than one occasion, and it is not accidental.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm

We also keep her on a leash and nothing is within her reach, she will jump on counter and tables apparently. Thats the only way she could get the things that she does.

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 pm

My dog who is a little over a year and half wanders the house and will pick any little thing she can find and try to eat it. She loves toilet paper or tissues. Paper in general. Some days she is worse about it and some days she is better. She has never been a destructive dog in front of us. She never stole shoes or tried to eat cords she stuck to her toys. We have had to remove all bedding and toys from her kennel because she will destroy and eat anything left in there.If anything is left near her kennel she will pull it in and eat it. Just a few months ago she ate some undies and they got stuck. $868 later we now make sure there is nothing on the floor for her to get. some dogs like to eat things, some like to chew things. My mom had a dog who ate rocks... Were really careful now. Maybe do some research on Pica and talk to a few more vets if you really believe thats the problem. Maybe the behaviorist will have some information that will help relieve your stress about it. You never know.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:05 pm

GunMom wrote:We also keep her on a leash and nothing is within her reach, she will jump on counter and tables apparently. Thats the only way she could get the things that she does.

if she's jumping on counters to get things, they're within her reach ;)
my dog is a terrible counter-surfer, but she's only been successful a couple times. she has, however, trained me VERY well to keep my counters spotless.

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:24 pm

GunMom wrote:Also, in response to Brindlelvr, we dont leave her alone unsupervised. She has a crate which we put her in whenever we are not home. However, there are rare situations when things like this happen. They have happened all of her life. It's not like she FREQUENTLY ingests things, but it's been on more than one occasion, and it is not accidental.

*shrug* I'm not here to argue with you but you did say this morning your boyfriend let her out of her crate while you were sleeping and that's when she ate the deodorant. IMO, that's unsupervised.

If you can find a behaviorist with the resources to help you, then by all means go that route. Otherwise I'd keep a bottle of peroxide on hand (to force her to vomit) and do your best to keep her supervised at all times unless she's crated.

Good Luck.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm

It is in my opinion as well, which is why I'm steamed. Sorry everyone.

I'm a bit flustered right now because Eris is weezing and is making weird noises and crying. The vet didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do now. Should I wait or try to get her in to another vet asap?

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:23 pm

GunMom wrote:It is in my opinion as well, which is why I'm steamed. Sorry everyone.

I'm a bit flustered right now because Eris is weezing and is making weird noises and crying. The vet didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do now. Should I wait or try to get her in to another vet asap?

Has she ate or drank anything yet today, since the deodorant?
Has she pooped or peed at all?

you can try giving her a tablespoon at a time of peroxide, to see if you can get her to throw up, it's possible she's digested some of it, but also possible theres some in her stomach....

did she eat the plastic container it was in too? if it were me I would definitely seek vet care again, especially if she appears in pain.

Return to “Health Issues”