Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GunMom
Newborn Bully

Re: Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Postby GunMom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm

BrindleLvr wrote:
GunMom wrote:It is in my opinion as well, which is why I'm steamed. Sorry everyone.

I'm a bit flustered right now because Eris is weezing and is making weird noises and crying. The vet didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do now. Should I wait or try to get her in to another vet asap?

Has she ate or drank anything yet today, since the deodorant?
Has she pooped or peed at all?

you can try giving her a tablespoon at a time of peroxide, to see if you can get her to throw up, it's possible she's digested some of it, but also possible theres some in her stomach....

did she eat the plastic container it was in too? if it were me I would definitely seek vet care again, especially if she appears in pain.

Yeah, she goes all out when she eats things. Like I said in the OP, the entire thing was gone. I told my vet this and he didn't seem worried. She has peed, and ate, but she just threw up her food which she ate after the deodorant, and the pee could have been from earlier. I don't think it's fully (the plastic) digested yet. She has pooped out worse though. In the middle of the night she once ate her crate pad zipper. Not the pillow or the stuffing, just the zipper, which was metal. :S If I notice she doesnt eat or poop anymore, I'll give the vet further away a call.

If it is boredom or behavioral, I'll have the behaviorist help out when she comes on saturday. I'll start keeping Eris on a leash again when I'm doing chores or am too busy to keep a good eye on her.

Thanks everyone.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 pm

I would go the hydrogen peroxide route to make her throw up, especially if you're worried. If anything, the worst it'll do is make her throw up, but at least you have the peace of mind.

We just had to make my sister's dog throw up tomatoes. It took FOREVER and it was stressful, but at least all of us are at ease.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 am

GunMom wrote:It is in my opinion as well, which is why I'm steamed. Sorry everyone.

I'm a bit flustered right now because Eris is weezing and is making weird noises and crying. The vet didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do now. Should I wait or try to get her in to another vet asap?

Call the ASPCA Poison control hotline...

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 pm

If it were me I would get to the first e-vet I could find.

I would then find another vet immediately; because "hey my dog ate a deodorant stick" - "no worries, go home" - is completely unacceptable.

I get what you are saying; her behavior goes above and beyond what is considered normal. It may not be completely abnormal; yet it is extreme.

Best to consult a behaviorist. I think people can give you generalized training ideas; but her problem is so idiosyncratic; I don't think generalizations will help you. I think a professional needs to see your dog, take a history, look at her medical records and go from there.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:00 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:I would go the hydrogen peroxide route to make her throw up, especially if you're worried. If anything, the worst it'll do is make her throw up, but at least you have the peace of mind.

We just had to make my sister's dog throw up tomatoes. It took FOREVER and it was stressful, but at least all of us are at ease.

I thought dogs could have tomatoes...aren't their sun dried tomatoes in some dog foods?

I understand not allowing them to eat the seeds...that'd make sense-they can't digest it (neither can we by the way)...but I didn't think they were harmful.

Sorry to derail, but I'm curious now.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 pm

tomato pomace is used in some pet foods as a source of dietary fiber & B vitamins & lycopene.

I don't believe it contains the seeds...but I didn't know dogs couldn't eat tomato seeds.

Now I'm curious

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Tomatoes are fine, I give them to my dogs fairly frequently, they love 'em.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Call the ASPCA Poison control hotline...

Call this number: (785) 532-5679
I'm told it's free but for the long distance charges (most other pet poison control numbers I've seen are very, very costly.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:45 pm

The ASPCA poison control hotline costs $65. They will give you a case number, and if you go to the vet after speaking with them, the vet can use the case number to get more information without any additional charges. I've used them twice since starting my new job at an e-clinic, and I'm VERY impressed.

I had a dog last night who was exposed to up to 15 potential medications, and they were able to narrow down the possibilities within minutes, something that would have taken me hours to look up by myself.

They also keep a database of exposures and illnesses, and can give a prognosis if its something they see commonly as well, which is nice for people unsure about how aggressive they want to be.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:31 pm

Maybe try start teaching her to "trade up".

Don't start with the stuff that she "finds" - YOU instigate it by planting the object(s).

Have high value treats at the ready.

This needs to be a highly controlled "lesson" in where you designate some time to set up the lesson, set up a reward, and then try to show her that when she "finds" something - if she gets it and brings it TO you ... she gets a SUPER yummy treat.

This will change into trading up, where the dog figures out it has a few choices ... it can take whatever it finds and do what it will with it, or it can bring it to you, and be a "good dog" get a TON of praise AND treats. it's mostly a no brainer what the dog will choose to do. But be warned, if your dog has a work ethic - they WILL treat trading up as their freaking JOB.

Which really isn't bad - but they can be PITAs about it when they get uber OCD because then they start searching and scanning and then planning for ways to be able to make you pay out for a trade up.

Some things though ... well Toby has a paper fetish - the one thing that he will choose to probably NOT trade up is a roll of toilet paper. NOTHING has stopped his yen for the "paper by the foot doggie roll up" as he seems to think that they are.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:33 pm

My dog had pica as she had chronic stomach aches, there are many reasons they eat things.
My male frenchie has brain damage and when a large truck goes by he slams his muzzle into the ground and mows on whatever is there. Weeds Grass, gravel even one time ( he spit that out!)

It can be mental or physical. I have no real answers, but I hope you find out why.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Sorry I was being so resistant before.
I think I was too busy panicing to actually realize that most of you are probably right.
I'm puppy proofing the house and we are re-training her as if she was still a pup.
I recently bought another storage space-drawer thing I'll be throwing random things into.

Her eating things is behavioral. She learned "leave it" and "drop it" but that never prevented her from eating things when we weren't around. She just saw it as a conditional thing. We never punished her hard enough when we caught her eating things primarily because it would be too late for the correction to matter or make sense to her. She doesn't know it's wrong, but she knows she shouldn't do it when we're around.
Eris is fine now. We almost had to take her in for surgery since she was coughing up some pink when she was rejecting the plastic pieces.

Our other vet saved us by telling us to "feed her two slices of bread covered in runny peanut butter." It coats the insides of their digestive system as well as making their stool VERY soft and sticky.

Thanks again everyone. :bowdown:

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:34 pm

My beagle did this as a result of separation anxiety and boredom. We exercised her a lot, but not in the right way for her (nose work, finding things, etc) We had to treat her like a pup for about two years, crated every single waking moment that we didn't have our eyes on her and only her. She'd eat the carpet, swallow things whole, she's thrown up plastic and made herself bleed doing so. She got impacted and needed enemas and x-rays and laxatives from swallowing grass clippings.

She's good now, but it was a matter of teaching a strong 'leave it' having many appropriate things for her to chew/eat (kongs, nylabones) etc, to help keep her busy and sloooooowly giving her more freedom out of the crate and unsupervised. She's been uncrated since she was 2.5 but only in the last year and a half has she had freedom of the whole house....if given the chance there are some things she will still eat whole so we have to keep them away.

It was purely behavioral for us, and took a lot of time (and frustration and mistakes on our part!)

She trained us good though - our puppies are NOTHING like she was, and I can't figure out if it's because they're just not that way, or if we have the house so proofed that they're not able to!

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Munkos wrote:My beagle did this as a result of separation anxiety and boredom. We exercised her a lot, but not in the right way for her (nose work, finding things, etc) We had to treat her like a pup for about two years, crated every single waking moment that we didn't have our eyes on her and only her. She'd eat the carpet, swallow things whole, she's thrown up plastic and made herself bleed doing so. She got impacted and needed enemas and x-rays and laxatives from swallowing grass clippings.

She's good now, but it was a matter of teaching a strong 'leave it' having many appropriate things for her to chew/eat (kongs, nylabones) etc, to help keep her busy and sloooooowly giving her more freedom out of the crate and unsupervised. She's been uncrated since she was 2.5 but only in the last year and a half has she had freedom of the whole house....if given the chance there are some things she will still eat whole so we have to keep them away.

It was purely behavioral for us, and took a lot of time (and frustration and mistakes on our part!)

She trained us good though - our puppies are NOTHING like she was, and I can't figure out if it's because they're just not that way, or if we have the house so proofed that they're not able to!

Yeahyeah, Eris is the first dog I've ever had or met that has had this problem.
We tethered her to our belt loops for awhile, but she's seemed to calm down. The difficult part, is when we're sitting on the couch and she's napping, she'll randomly decide to wake up and counter surf in the kitchen until I hear her. I wanted to buy one of those door-way blockers, but our kitchen entry-way is so awkwardly shaped. Would you know of any that have adjustable sizes? :huh?:

We JUST started a nose work class with her this wednesday. :D I'm excited.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:39 am

Put a bell on her collar. That way you hear her when she gets up. And maybe stage some counter training with you in a space she cannot see and doesn't know you are there - with a metal tin and pennies inside it that you throw (or have rigged so that you can make the noise without being there) when she tries to get whatever bait you've left on the counter for training purposes.

Then she learns consequences happen whether or not humans are there.

Return to “Health Issues”