Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Munkos
Super Bully

Re: Nobody is helping. (Pika? Or What?)

Postby Munkos » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 am

GunMom wrote:
Munkos wrote:My beagle did this as a result of separation anxiety and boredom. We exercised her a lot, but not in the right way for her (nose work, finding things, etc) We had to treat her like a pup for about two years, crated every single waking moment that we didn't have our eyes on her and only her. She'd eat the carpet, swallow things whole, she's thrown up plastic and made herself bleed doing so. She got impacted and needed enemas and x-rays and laxatives from swallowing grass clippings.

She's good now, but it was a matter of teaching a strong 'leave it' having many appropriate things for her to chew/eat (kongs, nylabones) etc, to help keep her busy and sloooooowly giving her more freedom out of the crate and unsupervised. She's been uncrated since she was 2.5 but only in the last year and a half has she had freedom of the whole house....if given the chance there are some things she will still eat whole so we have to keep them away.

It was purely behavioral for us, and took a lot of time (and frustration and mistakes on our part!)

She trained us good though - our puppies are NOTHING like she was, and I can't figure out if it's because they're just not that way, or if we have the house so proofed that they're not able to!

Yeahyeah, Eris is the first dog I've ever had or met that has had this problem.
We tethered her to our belt loops for awhile, but she's seemed to calm down. The difficult part, is when we're sitting on the couch and she's napping, she'll randomly decide to wake up and counter surf in the kitchen until I hear her. I wanted to buy one of those door-way blockers, but our kitchen entry-way is so awkwardly shaped. Would you know of any that have adjustable sizes? :huh?:

We JUST started a nose work class with her this wednesday. :D I'm excited.

http://www.fetchdog.com/pet-supplies/do ... hareasale3

This pet gate will fit most situations. But, PB's are good jumpers and climbers - my female pup, Mina, has been able to climb and jump our baby gate since she was about 4 months old, and our old guy could jump gates and climb no problem

You can line your counter top with cans, attached to one another with strings, and fill them with rocks or pennies - they'll come crashing down when she puts her paws up on the counter, then like alyssa said, consequences with or without humans present. Tape up the openings though, you don't want her thinking she hit the jackpot when they come crashing down and spill out.

I'd also start training her to stay out of the kitchen all together if that's possible.

Bells would be a good idea - Coda taught herself to slink so that her tags on her collars didn't make any noise and walks slow enough that her nails didn't click on the lino. It's quite the sight to see, bells probably would've been more difficult for her to silence.

You could also attach a long line to her in the house, something light - when she lays down for a nap, hook it up so you can still sit across the room and feel it if she moves, or whatever you need. Obviously not practical all of the time, though.

Good luck, I really do understand how frustrating and scary it can be. It literally happens in seconds and we had many many close calls while we were trying to get this figured out. We had to be really, really vigilante about watching and crating her.

GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby GunMom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Alyssa wrote:Put a bell on her collar. That way you hear her when she gets up. And maybe stage some counter training with you in a space she cannot see and doesn't know you are there - with a metal tin and pennies inside it that you throw (or have rigged so that you can make the noise without being there) when she tries to get whatever bait you've left on the counter for training purposes.

Then she learns consequences happen whether or not humans are there.

Good idea.
I'm going to start wiping down the table and counter tops every time I pull out something to eat. Hopefully the lack of reward for her will help.

Yeah, the behaviorist said loud noises SOMETIMES help, but her terrier is very similar to Eris:
They are made out of steel and are not phased by corrections on flat collars, loud noises, or running head-on into trees or doors.

When I laced the table with cayenne pepper to prevent her from counter surfing, she ate it. She also loves the sour apple spray. lol

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 pm

That was Coda too. I sprayed bitter apple on things and she licked it off before eating the item. Nothing food/taste wise deterred her, but noise sure did. She's skittish with noise, though.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 am

Our dogs have trained us to leave nothing--absolutely nothing--out on the counters. After my husky mix ate a container of unsweetened cocoa powder that was still in a grocery bag, completely shut, at the very very back of the counter (and of course nearly keeled over from chocolate poisoning), I finally learned not to assume that anything won't look chewable or edible to a dog. Coffee beans, bottles of wine, mustard, you name it--it all gets shut up in the cupboards or pantry the instant we're done using it.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 am

GunMom wrote:...We feed her Wellness white fish formula which is considered "ultra-premium" it is right up there with the Natura brand (well, until P&G changes the ingredients. lol ). So I doubt she isn't getting the minerals she needs. :S...

Andre started eating poop when we switched him from Blue Buffalo to Innova, which I'm confident is an awesome food. As soon as we switched him off of it (both dogs are raw fed now), he quit eating poop. *shrug* I'm not saying it is or isn't due to the food, but maybe try switching her food and see if it makes any difference. I was shocked that switching Andre off of Innova cured his poop-eating tendencies. Thrilled, but shocked.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

My last dog, which was a cockapoo - ate alll sorts of horrible things. An entire tube of Desenex. 600 balloons. Pounds upon pounds of chocolate (nothing was safe - not even the top of the fridge, we had to install kiddie locks on all cabinets, and I lived with stoners at the time that never put the candy away lol). The bottom half of 3 wooden gates. And yes, I mean ATE. As in, NO wood left. Like someone had just removed that portion of the fence.

Food in TIN CANS - plus the CANS. Yes. My freaking little cockapoo literally ATE sealed tin cans that he got when he BROKE INTO the pantry. lol. Peroxide. Shampoo. Could NOT keep condoms around him - he loved chewing rubber, and no he went after wrapped and unused condoms Would leave the wrapper but eat the rubber.

He never had cuts on his mouth or paws or gums or tongue. He passed it all. Keeping him out of things was a real pain.

He also liked to hide evidence. lol.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Alyssa wrote:My last dog, which was a cockapoo - ate alll sorts of horrible things. An entire tube of Desenex. 600 balloons. Pounds upon pounds of chocolate (nothing was safe - not even the top of the fridge, we had to install kiddie locks on all cabinets, and I lived with stoners at the time that never put the candy away lol). The bottom half of 3 wooden gates. And yes, I mean ATE. As in, NO wood left. Like someone had just removed that portion of the fence.

Food in TIN CANS - plus the CANS. Yes. My freaking little cockapoo literally ATE sealed tin cans that he got when he BROKE INTO the pantry. lol. Peroxide. Shampoo. Could NOT keep condoms around him - he loved chewing rubber, and no he went after wrapped and unused condoms Would leave the wrapper but eat the rubber.

He never had cuts on his mouth or paws or gums or tongue. He passed it all. Keeping him out of things was a real pain.

He also liked to hide evidence. lol.

You are the first person besides myself that I've seen who will admit to this happening. roflmao

Coda's crazy for them - except they didn't have to be wrapped and unused :oops:

He sounds JUST like Coda. Our only saving grace is that she is skittish, and noises freak her right out so she stays out of the cupboards. She never left evidence behind of what she chewed, ate it all. The only thing that didn't pass through entirely on it's own was grass. Figures!

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm

LOL!

It was hard not to admit to - bewteen me and my ex and our roommates, we had colored condoms galore and everrrrrrrry time he pooed it was a colorful event! LOL!

I loved that dog, but he had serious issues - he was a rescue that was abused pretty badly, and never fed, so he had developed a LOT of issues all based around the fact that he had to scrounge for food just to barely survive his entire life.

he was never going to be broken of being an opportunist - the house rule was that you KNOW that he will eat anything you leave around. So if you leave it around, don't punish him for doing what he has had ingrained in him to survive, cuz you shoulda known better.

And I mean anything. If it appeared edible at all to him - he'd eat it.

But rubber ANYTHING was a hazard. Balloons, condoms, rubber gloves, rubberbands (yes he ate 3 bags of rubberbands), golf balls (he'd chew off the outside to get to the rubber stuff underneath), just the damnest stuff lol.

Return to “Health Issues”