Hot Dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amie

Hot Dogs

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:38 am

Since most of the East Coast of the US has been drowning in some really intense heat lately, how about we list some of the signs of heat stroke or other weather-related issues in our dogs and (maybe more importantly) how to prevent them?

I've forgone walks completely here. Oscar won't slow down just because he's hot, so I've just been taking them outside to pee every hour or so (but then, I'm off work this week, so I can do that). I put a few ice cubes in their water and check the bowls very frequently - where they might go through one bowl a day normally, they drank about four to six bowls each day of the past three!

I've got fans going, to help better circulate the air from my window ACs, and set one up on the ground so the dogs could lay in front of it if they want to (which they've chosen to several times)

What are you doing?

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Re: Hot Dogs

Postby julie64 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:26 am

I got this is a email this morning, great tips.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/3626 ... 622a877bc/

I've been taking the dogs out for short periods of time. Shay is not handling this heat well. Sassy is having pool time, but I've yet to get the other 2 to jump in. :sad:

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:59 am

Taking it easy...lol...we didn't track for two days because of the heat, but I thought the earlier the better to track, can't be taking too much time off. Pfffttt...I broke a sweat this morning just laying the track...lol. I freeze their water bowls, so they can like at ice all day if I am not here. Lots of swimming, I have high drive dogs that don't know the meaning of stop, so swimming has helped when I can muster up the courage to go out into the heat, they just swim, swim, swim. While I stand there and sweat, and mumble under my breath.
But here are some of the things we are doing:
Keep all the shades down, too keep it dark and cool, cave like quality, but it beats the heat.
Exercise, ugghhhh, swimming, lots of it.
Freezing the bowls, when they will be kenneled for longer than normal periods.
I have been tossing some ice cubes in the community water dish for them.
Instead of letting them out in pairs to potty, which tends to lead to play with the younger dogs, they are being put out separately, so they do their business and come back in.

***for those of you that have to train in the heat, share your secrets..lol.**
I have kennel fans that I run when Paver is not working, I also have a spray bottle to mist him down with, and of course his kennel bucket for water. I am fortunate that we have shade where I train, so all vehicles are parked under there, and we have a hose to use also if need be. Anyone have any other secrets or tips they would like to share?

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:11 am

I just turn my C on and force my dog to stay with me in the main room where it is put :p
My dog wants to go everywhere, I take her outside around 7 where the heat is not that intense to walk and potty.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am

***for those of you that have to train in the heat, share your secrets...**
I have kennel fans that I run when Paver is not working, I also have a spray bottle to mist him down with, and of course his kennel bucket for water. I am fortunate that we have shade where I train, so all vehicles are parked under there, and we have a hose to use also if need be. Anyone have any other secrets or tips they would like to share?

We have a baking DRY heat here all summer long! We train all summer long.

We start training at 7AM to avoid the heat. It is still hot then, a lot of us swim them before training just to help cool them down. Judge has a crate fan, bowl of water with ice and a dash of Pedialyte(for the electrolytes to help keep him hydrated) and is in the shade. Arko, the big rottie, gets doused a few times during and after training.

Something that I've got everyone doing now for the most part, I have Isopropyl Alcohol with me and I pour it into a little container and put their feet in it, This helps bring down the body temp. normally people use it for dogs that are close to or getting heat stroke. I've found it helps if they are getting too hot waiting for training.

Above all, just watching and knowing your dog helps a ton!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:28 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:***for those of you that have to train in the heat, share your secrets..lol.**

We typically don't have a real summer until September but in the past...

Folks start training really early - like 7 or 8 am. and if people are up to it, then do multiple shorter training sessions (say Saturday morning and Wednesday after the sun goes down).

Those pump misters and we wet down everyone's undercarriage, arm pits, back end and then all over. Then it to shaded crates with plenty of ventalition and the bigger (O2cool) battery fans.

Also, a lot of people just focus more on swimming conditioning and train whenever the temps drop. Some of my friends are tossing the smaller jolly ball in the pool and letting each dog swim until they get tired.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Veronica and her Daddy are parked in front of the AC and the fan.

Jon has his chair and Veronica has the couch.

Neither look to have any interest in going anywhere.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:44 pm

we start training early thank goodness, and generally are done roughly around two pm. the rule of thumb at this point is, pick one thing that you want to work on, and just do that. I broke out in a sweat this morning at five am, just laying a track.

Tracy, do you have a link to the fan you are talking about? Courtney, great idea about the Alcohol , I will have to pack some tomorrow night when I get the truck ready.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Oh...in an effort to be helpful:

Veronica's Grammy sent me this link from our local news station. Click the video for a little blurb on heatstroke in dogs from a local vet.

What I didn't realize is how quickly it could come on from just being outside...

http://ww.abc6.com/global/story.asp?s=12769831

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 pm

We're going to have a few scorching days here this week, I am not looking forward to it! My house turns into a three ring circus when it's hot out and we have to mostly stay in. Dogs almost knocked over hubbys new 50 inch plasma yesterday when they tumbled into the TV stand together :eek:

Thankfully my house seems to keep the heat out until it starts to cool a bit at night, then the house gets unbearably hot, but outside gets tolerable! We just go out in short outings. As long as we stay in the yard, the pups seem to know not to over do it. They mostly just lounge in the sun and laze around. If we go somewhere though, we have to keep them close and calm, or they'll push it.

Poor Dante though, he's going to have a rough summer. He wears out quickly as it is being on three legs, when it's hot out it's almost unbearable for him to be outside and do more than plop down on the deck.

Thanks for all the links to info - I am paranoid about these guys - they don't take the heat well at all!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:25 pm

we just moved to subtropical central Florida, and i feel like it's probably less brutal down here than it's been up north where we came from!

when we trained in the summer in maryland, we were just careful not to overexert the dogs when it got over 90 degrees, and when i was done doing something strenuous with him, i wouldn't give him more than a couple of laps of water ... instead, i'd give him just a quick, short drink, i'd wet down his belly and groin with cool water, then i'd put a bit of cold water on the floor of his crate and let him cool off for about 10 minutes. then i'd go back and get him out, take him for a short walk, apply more cool water to belly, groin, "armpits." i never wet down the dog's fur because it can trap heat near the skin, so i always put water where fur was really thin ...

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Any tips for walking on hot sidewalks? Unfortunately every street around my block bakes. If we walk a few blocks it gets shady, but we still have to walk there.

Ashes will not, no way no how, wear booties.

We thankfully have access to an air condition dog play room around 6am to 1pm, depending on the weather this is where Ashes gets the bulk of her exercise during the day. If its not too bad out we'll go do some off leash hiking, but generally its quick potty breaks when the weathers like this. Poor dog is BORED.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:20 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:

Tracy, do you have a link to the fan you are talking about? Courtney, great idea about the Alcohol , I will have to pack some tomorrow night when I get the truck ready.

http://www.amazon.com/O2-Cool-Model-105 ... B000I4L15Q

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks T, I have fans very similar to that, that I can use the truck battery to run, my just hang in front of the kennel.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, I'm glad others are suffering as much as we are. ...and by suffering I mean trying to keep everyone entertained.

We had done no walks for 3 days until today.
Every day I stepped up the entertainment a little.

Yesterday went like this.
Came home
Distracted Capone from the fence
Entertained with treats and walked around the yard with the 3
Went inside for a few moments
Came back outside with a new tug toy for *fun* and hard balls (I said hard balls)
Tugged for a few moments and threw balls to get some heat tiredness in them
Went back inside
Went downstairs and tried to get the 2 puppies to tug together but the excitement of a new toy was too much so *distraction *distraction and they each got a different lame old toy and all was good.

Everyone got a Kong toy with some yumminess inside to stay entertained
Waited about an hour, went back outside and watered plants with dogs
Went inside after 5 minutes

Husband came home, he entertained them for 5 minutes
I went across the street to feed the neighbors dogs. Literally I left the house and husband snapped this,
"I think you are missed."

I came back to everyones surprise lol and
Then fed everyone out of the CanineGenius Leo
Then TV
Bed at 10:30

Clearly I was tired, but Flower wanted up at 4:30 and thus I am now tired again.

Since tonight was 10 degrees cooler everyone got walks. :bowdown: I will pray for sleep

Return to “Health Issues”