Hot Dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Hot Dogs

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:Thanks T, I have fans very similar to that, that I can use the truck battery to run, my just hang in front of the kennel.

Nice that you can use the truck's battery. We aren't often close enough to the vehicles to do that. We are often close enough to a plug to bring th big 20 inch box fan and use that for evveryone.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:21 pm

It's been hot on the West Coast too. We've been doing walks early (5:30 a.m.), meals in frozen kongs, ice cubes in water, cooling mats and fans.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:34 am

I just got back from Premier and it was HOT! At the weight pull area they had a kiddie pool set up so we could cool off the dogs. The most important places to get wet or cool down quickly are the feet and belly. In cool not cold water! We also had tons of fans running in the WP area and the dogs all had fans on their crates. My dog had a CoolCrate pad in her crate. The dogs lay on it and it helps to regulate their temp. I use a cooling bandana (as long as the cool part is on the dogs under side of the neck) or cool coat too. And keep the water buckets filled!

It does help that I do work the dogs in the heat at home, so they are more used to it and adjust easier if the temps are high at an event. The key is to slowly work up the time spent working in the heat. i.e 10 min the first week with a break at 5min, 15 min the next week with a break at 5 and 10min, 20 min the next week with a break at 5, 10, 15 min.....At no event have my dogs been working for longer than 45 min so I work them up to 1hr or so at home with a 5 min break every 5min.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Thankfully, we do not get hot enough here to need to take corrective action. But we have been making regular trips up to central California to work on my Dad's house and that is a HOT drive!!! We initially tried small fans in the back of our truck and all of the windows open - but that only marginally helped. On acouple of trips, I brought Ruby into the air conditioned cab (on my lap) and we were both miserable for the last 2 hours of the drive! Then, we started leaving a water bowl out while driving - and she will seek it out. Finally, DH decided to try to build a 'boot', which connects the truck bed to the cab via the window there. He rolled up pieces of pipe insulation tubes and stuffed it into the gaps btwn the 2 windows for our trip last weekend and we blasted the AC. We forgot thermometers to test the actual numbers but it DID make a difference!!! At my dad's house, I regularly watered her down with the hose - but then she's go lay in the sun! Sillly girl.

KoheinLuckyshumom
Newborn Bully

Postby KoheinLuckyshumom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:47 am

This is my issue living in phoenix. Early morning temps are high 80's (this morning it was 88 at 6am), so we work more on the tread, go for a spin around the block for mental stim and routine, and have been doing more play and training inside. 10pm it was 102. When we get back from walks, they both get sprayed with the hose and flop in front of the fan.

I wish there were doggie pools here that i could take them to, but have not found one.

Return to “Health Issues”