Dog Acne

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Dog Acne

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm

I know there have been a few posts recently about this, and I have read them thinking, "Wow, I'm glad we use stainless." But just last week I noticed Flower has some bumps under her chin.
Some are just lumps but the ones I noticed were of course the ones that wiped themselves across my hands and bled on the floor etc. (yes, 'they' jumped off her lol )
They are not infected but they do bleed. Maybe I'm just not seeing the puss if there is some at the initial break of the bump.

So, if I feed out of stainless, how does this occur?
I frequently run the toys through the dishwasher (maybe once a month for all, some more frequently) food toys obviously go through the washer, the bowls are stainless and get cleaned twice a week maybe? if not more, her crate is plastic

She gets a bath at least once every 2 weeks with dog shampoo.
She gets a clean blanket in her crate once a week at least, despite not peeing on it.

What else could it be?
btw, neither of the other 2 have it, just her.

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Re: Dog Acne

Postby RoxieRules » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Sounds totally unrelated to me since the other 2 don't have it. Time to see the vet?

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:32 pm

could be, but they seem to get big, then small and look like the little bumpy things that are normally on thier faces. I'm thinking it might be an allergy type thing but I'll just keep an eye on it for a while.

Charlie
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Does it kinda look like this?

That is how things started with our Charlie we noticed blood on her chin (yes, we have always fed her from a stainless steel bowl :) ) she still got the red bumps and they did and do still bleed. We took her to the vet who said it was pustules and possible a underlining skin infection. The vet put her on antibiotics (Simplicef 100mg) this has cleared things up with her acne. We bathe her once a week with antiseptic skin shampoo to keep her skin issues under control. She seems to have a lot of allergies food and pollens etc. the vet recommended we see a canine dermatologist if the pimples come back and the allergies continue. We are going to take her to the dermatologist this week and see what he says, I'll update you once that happens.

She is a happy girl and we love her to death and worth all the loving trouble roflmao

Licks and sniff's to all....

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:38 pm

I should have responded sooner. Yes I does look like that but worse. She has a bumpy chin anyway...but

Staph :(

vet said its not contagious to the others and we are treating with Simplicef 100mg & OxyDex Gel. The OxyDex I question if I could not just use some human facial acne cleaner but whatever. It has to have a purpose.

I'm open for suggestions on how you dealt with this. Life lessons??? Bring 'em on!

despite feeding in stainless and drinking from glass bowls, I guess I'll be cleaning more.
:dunno: Maybe it would help if she quit shoving her face into ever orifice the world has to offer. Let alone the fox in our yards that likes to mark everywhere.

I LOVE taking a dog to the vet that 'they' like. She is sooooooo good! The other dogs got her excited, but she's allowed to over threshold sometimes. She lives with the King of OT!! She has got to have learned from the worst lol

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:41 pm

I was wondering, have you been wiping her chin a lot with antibacterial soap or baby wipes or anything?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Maybe it is from something she is chewing on...plastic or rubber toys, nylabone or something like that :dunno:

I seem to remember years ago on a cat forum someone said their vet recommended stridex pads for their cat's chin acne. I'd check with your vet first though, just to make sure. Personally I've used straight alcohol on my own acne. it has a very drying effect lol

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Yes, it is possible... but she flips from toy to toy to toy all day and night.
The Plant Dog balls and Nylabones go in the dishwasher, deer antlers obviously do not lol
Canine Genius go in the dish washer.
Dog bowls too, but not every day... so perhaps I have waited to long in between cleanings. but either way, its 'her' not the others.

Guess I'll be cleaning crates too. Her crate is the cleanest since she does not pee in it. She goes in Jasmine's and pees in hers :(

Return to “Health Issues”