Leaking urine

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Leaking urine

Postby Siberian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:02 pm

If it is not one urine related issue - it is another.

Sheba leaks urine when she lays down. And it is not a little leak - it is a huge puddle, and she won't even know it is there, happily snoozing away in the pool of urine. It happens only when she is on the living room couch (thank god I can just spray it with windex and wash it off), and it happens without a pattern. Seldom and random. I think it maybe happens about once a month, maybe two months - can that be considered a serious medical issue, or does this sounds more like behavioral?

Amie

Re: Leaking urine

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:16 pm

If she's not aware of it, I wouldn't assume behavioral. Technically, yes, behaviors can be conscious and unconscious, but generally things like potty errors are "intentional" (not vindictive, but the dog is usually aware that they are going to the bathroom), so I would guess medical - maybe UTI or something?

I'd call the vet.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:49 pm

Maybe she's cold. Have you offered her a blanket? It could be like that scene from dumb and dumber.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:52 pm

She is a princess, and won't lay down without a blanket on top of her.

Amie, what are the chances of UTI if it only happens once a month? She does have wonky kidneys (remember my kidney failure scare?), but after I switched her foods, her blood work came back normal.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't really know the chances, except that I suppose it's not unheard of for her to have a mild recurring one that she kicks herself but comes back. MissKiwi is probably more help there.

In general I always recommend ruling out health reasons for things before looking for behavior, but in this case it would surprise me even more if this did turn out to be behavioral.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

I agree it's not a behavioral thing. Dunno. maybe spay incontinence?
Waiting for misskiwi

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:12 pm

She has a huge appointment in August, with anasthesia, teeth work, bumps removal and blood work. Ideally I would like to wait til then to get any tests done....

But waiting for someone with medical background to show up :)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:50 pm

This is my preferred article about spay incontinence.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjincontinence.html

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:55 pm

hehe... I'm here!!

If this didn't happen to my Sheila girl, I wouldn't know it was possible... but it sounds like mild spay incontinence to me. With sheila, who tends to have an accident a week or so when she's having troubles, has mild spay incontinence. I'm a bad mommy with the meds, so we've learned this on accident. The problem is trying to hide the beef flavored tablets from food allergic Romeo causes me to forget to give the pills! But it turns out I can treat her for 3-4 days, fix the problem, and then the issue goes away for several months. When it comes back, I pull out the proin and start all over again. The first dose always makes her puke, but it prevents me from washing sheets and scrubbing carpet once a week...

Not all dogs are this mild (actually, very few are!), and your pup should still be evaluated for UTI etc before starting Proin just in case. Your dog could have something else going on, but it sure does sound familiar!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Sounds like a reassuringly mild case of spay incontinence. Tully has pretty stubborn spay incontinence, Proin didn't work for it, and she's on DES. Which is a cheaper solution, but still doesn't control it 100%. I'm happy to have her leak less, though, she usually has an episode every month or 2; most frequently precipitated by hot weather or heavy exercise causing her to drink excessive water. I could add Proin for a combo effect which might eliminate the leaking, but don't feel it's worth it at this time.

Tully's leaking episodes usually occur on my bed, unfortunately, probably because she sleeps the soundest there. I was able to determine that it was incontinence because she had an episode of leaking while laying on the floor near my chair. It was obvious she was unaware of it, so I knew it wasn't behavioral. My vet ruled out other causes for leaking urine, and we started the treatment. Proin helped at first, but just didn't help enough, since Tully was getting progressively worse. Hence the DES. Some claim a grain-free diet resolved the issue for their dogs, but it made no difference for Tully.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:52 am

You might also want to rule out bladder stones. My beagle blocked up about 80-90% with bladder stones and she went from having Mild, recurring UTI's and some leakage for about 1.5 years, to absolutely incontinent for about 3-4 days prior to her surgery. Poor thing was dripping urine and blood everywhere all of a sudden.

Also rule out a UTI. It's easy and painless. I grab a sample cup from the vet, catch first morning urine in an aluminium tart pan (Coda squats right to the ground, I need something shallow!) and then transfer into the cup, and drop it off at the vets. They call back and confirm or deny an infection/crystal presence.

I would do a urine sample now, so that when she is under anesthesia they can do x-rays for bladder stones if they feel it's a possibility and possibly a cysteocentisis which is when they pull urine directly from the bladder with a sterile syringe.

It does sound like spay incontinence to me, too. But, I would always rule out the other medical issues first. Especially after what we went through, I know now that it should be standard for a vet to check for stones when a dog gets recurring UTI's but our first vet never did. The vet that found her stones and performed the surgery said she'd likely been building stones for almost 2 years, and had we caught it in the beginning when the UTI's started, we might've been able to dissolve them with food, saved a bunch of money on UTI's and meds, saved her from being on antibiotics all the time, etc.

If our female pup now ever gets a UTI, I'll be asking for an x-ray right off the bat!

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Luce's spay incontinence started out that mild. It's gotten worse over time (and seems to be worse during the summer than the winter, though I have no explanation for that), but is generally controlled with Proin. I'd still rule out a UTI first though.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 pm

elegy wrote:Luce's spay incontinence started out that mild. It's gotten worse over time (and seems to be worse during the summer than the winter, though I have no explanation for that), but is generally controlled with Proin. I'd still rule out a UTI first though.

Tully's is worse during summer than winter, too. I attribute it to drinking more water in the hotter weather. I've noticed that a lot of her leaking episodes happen when she has a full bladder and is sleeping soundly. Before treatment, she was getting to where she'd leak while lying down and awake, but that no longer happens.

lovabull
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lovabull » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Heidi has the same problem, which the vet told us is most likely spay incontinence. I've heard that cornsilk tablets can help but haven't tried them yet. If I find that they work, I'll let you know.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:12 pm

AACK!!! Why oh why.... Sheila piddled on the bed last night... and the Proin is packed... must have been sheer coincidence right? roflmao

Return to “Health Issues”