Greenish Discharge from Genital

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
yaegersnewfamily
Adolescent Bully

Greenish Discharge from Genital

Postby yaegersnewfamily » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:34 pm

We just adopted a 2 yr old, male APBT.. has had all his shots up to date, healthy as of his last vet visit 2 mos. ago and not yet neutered (but we have scheduled an appointment for for the upcoming weekend it's the law in Los Angeles).

Anyway, I noticed there is some greenish 'stuff' that sort of 'leaks' where the opening is for his genitalia, he laid down several times on a white carpet and left a few small spots of it.. that's when we noticed.

Just wondering if that's normal for it to be 'greenish'? He doesn't lick excessively, chew, bite, scratch, scoot or anything like that. He eats normally and marks pretty regularly on walks. Nothing looks swollen, red, inflamed, irritated or rash-y. I don't see it being a problem for him but I kept reading up online that the discoloration is a bad thing but it's also usually accompanied by different symptoms.

Please help clear this up for me, thanks! :)

msvette2u

Re: Greenish Discharge from Genital

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Sounds like "smegma" - may want to google that. Hard to describe here lol

yaegersnewfamily
Adolescent Bully

Postby yaegersnewfamily » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Haha, I had actually googled that earlier trying to find an explanation.. but is it alright for it to be green? Some say yes, some say no.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:59 pm

I just had my new male pup in at the vet for this issue yesterday. I kept hearing that green discharge was normal for a male (he's my first one), but I took him in because he was having a TON of discharge. I'm talking about having to wipe down the inside of his legs multiple times a day. Cooper does have an infection- he's on antibiotics for ten days. I also get to flush his manly bits with an antiseptic wash once a day, haha. My vet said it wasn't necessary but would speed up the process, and I said I'd do it because I am not easily grossed out. lol

If it is really green, I would probably get him checked out just to be on the safe side.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Oh yeah can't hurt to have it checked.
Oddly, we had a male Basset recently who was quite neglected and they rinsed out his male part (and charged for it!!??) while he was under for his neuter. They didn't think it was infected though.
So maybe there can be "too much" lol

yaegersnewfamily
Adolescent Bully

Postby yaegersnewfamily » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:28 am

I'll be sure to ask on his next visit. It doesn't seem to irritate, and it's not an 'abnormal' amount. Just a little here and there, only tinted green.. I only noticed because he had his back legs splayed out flat while laying down on a white part of our rug and when he got up there was a small spot of it.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 am

The neuter might clear that up on it's own too. Dante has had an excess of discharge and his is also green. The vet said for him because he is neutered it should go away on it's own by a year old or so, since he's not producing hormones as much as an unneutered dog, it's just excess production of discharge and clogged glands while he matures and grows. However, he has had a large amount, like all over the couch, the floor and his blanket - so we did a penicillin rinse at the vets, and now we're about to start antibiotics since the penicillin rinse didn't help for more than two days.

Our vet said had the penicillin rinse worked for a few weeks, even months, he would have just mixed us up a bag to do at home for a few months until he's older, instead of putting antibiotics into his system.

Return to “Health Issues”