Amount and type of exercise

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mauriceflowers
Newborn Bully

Amount and type of exercise

Postby mauriceflowers » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:49 am

Just curious I was wondering how much exercise does your dog(s) receive a day. Also the different types of exercises they do i.e walking, hiking, swimming, mill, etc. I'm worried about overexercising my pup at such a young age. She roughly gets a half and hour walk and multiple trips to the back yard for free rain play. She is approaching 5 months and around 25 pounds. Decently toned not overly muscular.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Re: Amount and type of exercise

Postby chewbecca » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:32 am

My pups (4-5 months old) are only getting "play" exercise now with the occasional flirtpole. Because I sprained my ankle, AND it's been WAY TOO HOT to walk them outside right now.

I wouldn't worry about walks toooo much. As long as you allow your pup to kind of go at his/her own pace.
Once my pups' harnesses arrive, I'm going to be hopefully getting them on the electric treadmill for very light walks (very slow, nothing probably over 2-2.5 miles per hour).
OR, I am going to hire a dog walker for the next month as the doctor says that I should be taking the puppies on long walks for another month because of my ankle. :sad:

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:35 am

chewbecca wrote: the doctor says that I should be taking the puppies on long walks for another month because of my ankle. :sad:

That SHOULD read, "The doctor says that I SHOULDN'T be taking the puppies on a long walks for another month because of my ankle."

mauriceflowers
Newborn Bully

Postby mauriceflowers » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 pm

That SHOULD read, "The doctor says that I SHOULDN'T be taking the puppies on a long walks for another month because of my ankle."[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the ankle. The summer isn't much fun when you have to spend it inside. I see more and more people talking about treadmills so I'm curious if you know any sites that are selling them or have any other information on them. Get well soon!

mauriceflowers
Newborn Bully

Postby mauriceflowers » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:03 pm

That first part should be in quotes sorry.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Well we did a 1.5 hour walk today, my guys will be 7 months in a few days. This is typically something we only do once a week, and we try to keep other walks to an hour or less for now. Today was a combo of exploring the water as much as they would, meeting dogs and people, etc. So it was pretty stimulating mentally as well as tiring physically, and they have been zonked out for the most part, for 5.5 hours now!

Other exercise really depends on the day. We run around the house and play hide and seek, fetch, tug, swimming in the pool in the back (well, standing there looking silly, most of the time)

The benefit of having 3 dogs, two of which are littermates, is that they tend to do a pretty good job at exercising each other!

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:28 pm

We change it up based on the time of year. With the warm weather, each days there is a 2 mile walk in the morning and a second at night, as well as about an hour total of fetch. In the winter it drops to 3-4 shorter walks, less than 30 minutes. Of course, no puppies here, but I'd say if they are not getting destructive or whining, I'd say you are doing a great job.

Return to “Health Issues”