Pet Insurance

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
july_hymn
Matured Bully

Pet Insurance

Postby july_hymn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Just curious where everyone gets their pet insurance from - also, what kind of coverage do you have and are you happy with it? Thanks in advance!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Pet Insurance

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:45 pm

For me to cover all my animals the cost would be astronomical. I have a savings account that I put money into every pay check instead. It is exclusively for pet emergencies. I also have a credit card that I keep open with a zero balance in case I would need more money than the savings account could cover.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:59 pm

As a veterinarian I very much like VPI. The paperwork takes seconds, they don't tell me what to do, no networks or other silliness, and the benefits seem reasonable. If I didn't get a decent discount by doing all the work myself on my pets, I'd likely have VPI myself.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:57 pm

I have Embrace. I fortunately haven't had to use them yet but you ALWAYS get a human answering the phone when you call, and they're very bully friendly. They "interviewed" Inara for one of their newsletters a couple months ago and pit bulls were their breed of the week last week.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:12 am

I try to do what FBODGRL does.

I've known all the pet insurances out there to have refused to cover things and trying to duck coverage.

At least a bank account will earn you interest - no one can (or will) tell you *no* you can't use the money you put in every month, and if for whatever reason you luck out and your dog is healthy - you can always take out any excess every once in a while and invest on something for your dog. Like agility equipment, or weight pulling stuff, life jacket, etc.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:53 pm

i'm with vetinsurance ('trupanion' down in the US), and it has been a lifesaver.
my dog blew her first knee 2 years ago, and they paid full coverage (90% of everything except the consult fee), with no deductible. they didn't decrease my coverage or increase my rates, they just sent me a cheque. (and that knee surgery was about $4,000!!!).

november 2009 she blew her second knee. once again, i filled in the form, the vet sent it in, and i got a cheque in the mail. no questions asked (and that was another $4k surgery). the recovery from that surgery was a lot worse than the first one, and maggie needed to have the plates removed. again, i got a cheque in the mail and no questions (can't remember the cost of that one, but i think it was about $2,000). another recovery, then ANOTHER surgery, another couple grand, and another cheque from the insurance company.

never once have they denied a claim, and my rates have only increased by a few bucks from when we started (and that was a global increase to cover the rising cost of vet care).

i LOVE my insurance company and i recommend them to everyone who asks. i pay about $50/mo, and have probably claimed close to $15,000 (that's 25 years worth of payments). there's no way i would have been able to afford to keep my dog if i didn't have insurance. i'm sure she would have been put down by now without it :sad:

have i mentioned how much i love my insurance company? lol

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Omg, TRUPANION all the way!

I had VPI before, and so glad I switched.

Trupanion does not cover affordable things, like annual shots and vet visits, but it will cover 90% of your medical bill/surgery bill. You get 20K for the life of your dog, and your monthly cost does not go up with the age of your dog (Like Petplan). So, currently I pay $50 a month with $0 deductible.

1 month after I switched, Sheba broke her canine. It cost me $1800 to get a root canal done, and I got $1600 back two weeks later. Checks come out extremely fast.

If I was setting aside $100 a month for Sheba's vet bills, this bill alone would eat up 1,5 years of savings :(

Can't say enough about this company :)

freezingbear
Newborn Bully

Postby freezingbear » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 am

Bringing this thread back...

with all the horror stories I've been hearing recently, plus helping my mom with the shelties, it just seems pointless not to get insurance for Turtle. I've looked into a few companies, and I'm pretty much leaning towards Trupanion, but I have a few questions about it (for anyone who has experience with it). I've never had pet insurance before, but I'm assuming it operates largely like people insurance; if that's the case, are there only specific vets that Trupanion will accept claims from?

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06 am

since we have 4 dogs, ive been looking into 24hourpetwatch accident only insurance. I got a quote and its only around $12 ad some change a month,
it doesnt cover wellness visits or thigs like that but it does cover accidents like foreign object obstruction, or broken bones. and i figured thats when you really need the help. not when your dog needs their shots. we havent completely finished looking into it, but if anyone has experience with it, i'd LOVE to know what you think!!

http://www.24petwatch.com/petinsurance/ ... idents.asp

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm

I like Trupanion too! Every one of our clients who has used them is happy.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm

We get our insurance through Banfield (which is run through PetSmart) - shame, shame; I know - but we've been really happy with our coverage, and the vet at the location by our home owns two APBT's and an AmStaff... so I don't feel bad about using Banfield because our vet is so knowledgeable about bully breeds. That opinion might change should we ever use another location, but, until then: we love our vet.

That said, no person of average income or below could afford to go to a Banfield without purchasing the insurance plan through them; without the plan, their prices are astronomical. We only insure the dogs, the cats are on their own. That's not to say that I wouldn't take my cats to the vet if they needed medical help, but I'm not paying monthly x3 for a medical incident which may or may not occur within the next five to ten years.

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:06 pm

I recently found out that there are such thing as Pet Insurance, so i dont know about that.I would rather take my dog to a good vet in Mexico if i cant qualify lol.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:24 pm

freezingbear wrote:Bringing this thread back...

with all the horror stories I've been hearing recently, plus helping my mom with the shelties, it just seems pointless not to get insurance for Turtle. I've looked into a few companies, and I'm pretty much leaning towards Trupanion, but I have a few questions about it (for anyone who has experience with it). I've never had pet insurance before, but I'm assuming it operates largely like people insurance; if that's the case, are there only specific vets that Trupanion will accept claims from?

There is no limitations like that. There will be certain procedures that are not covered though. Like Trupanion won't cover small stuff, like annual shots, or cost of a vet visit itself. They also don't cover holistic/alternative medicine and dental work (unless it is a broken canine). When you go to a vet, you are responsible for paying your bill. I usually bring Trupanion claim form with me to the vet visit, since there is a portion that needs to be filled out/signed by a vet (otherwise it can turn into faxing tag game), then fill out my portion of the form, and fax it to Trupanion. They send me a check for 90% of the claim cost (cost of tests, procedures, medicines)

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:27 pm

Oh, and there is no limit on amount they will cover. It used to be 20K, but that have changed it this year to unlimited. So, if your procedure costs 10K or whatever - they got your back.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:33 pm

haircrazie016 wrote:since we have 4 dogs, ive been looking into 24hourpetwatch accident only insurance. I got a quote and its only around $12 ad some change a month,
it doesnt cover wellness visits or thigs like that but it does cover accidents like foreign object obstruction, or broken bones. and i figured thats when you really need the help. not when your dog needs their shots. we havent completely finished looking into it, but if anyone has experience with it, i'd LOVE to know what you think!!

http://www.24petwatch.com/petinsurance/ ... idents.asp

You know, I never anticipated that my dog would have kidney issues at 6 years of age. She was always healthy as a horse :)
We got it under control, thank god, but not before I spent hundreds of dollars on tests and treatments. So, I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself to the accident only insurance. No one wants to get sick, but our bodies surprise us sometimes in a very unpleasant ways.

Looks like that also have a spending cap on every procedure. I don't know how much is the vet care in your area, and it might be more than enough of a coverage, but I would compare procedure costs in your vet clinic to the coverage spending caps.

Return to “Health Issues”