The big bad "C" word :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

The big bad "C" word :(

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:30 pm

I took my old lady Lucy in to work on Sunday and had a growth removed from her neck. Surgery went well and it is healing nicely. She isn't as chunky as I had thought she was, she weighed in at 54.9#. The Dr. I work for was kind enough to do the surgery with just a light sedation and some local anesthetic, because Lu has had some bad reactions in the past to being under full anesthesia. The actual surgery was simple and took all of 15 minutes and 3 sutures, and I was able to hold her the whole time. After she was in recovery I had a chance to open up the growth and the Dr. and I took a look at it.....cancer :( During the procedure we had noticed that it had also begun to spread to the surrounding tissue, but I didn't want to open up her neck anymore than we had to, so we mostly just let it be. I had prepared myself before hand knowing that it probably was cancer, but I was hoping to open it up and find something else. I didn't have the growth sent out for biopsy because I just can't handle the official results. If I don't have the official results it can't be true... right? I know I still have a few good years left with her, but I am already starting to feel the loss. Now I won't feel guilty about giving her an extra tid-bit off my plate, or indulging her when she just wants to go for a car ride up to McD's without violet tagging along.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: The big bad "C" word :(

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:55 pm

:hug:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 am

I am so sorry....damn cancer :(

I lost my 15 year old cat last month to a grapefruit size mass in her abdomen. She had to be PTS after they had opened her for surgery. It happened so quick. I found out about the mass and lost her within a week. I'm not sure if it is worse or better to have that extra time. I guess loss is horrible no matter when or how it happens :crybaby:

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:10 am

I'm sorry. :hug:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 am

I'm awfully sorry. :sad:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 am

Or you could send the results out and find out you got it all... barely, but you did... and you can sleep well at night.

The news could fall either way, but is it better to KNOW or not? Your decision... I would send it.

One of the first things you learn in pathology is you cannot determine the diagnosis without histopathology. Until you send it in, its "just a mass"

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:52 am

I am soooo soooo sorry. :hug:
I just lost Ella last month.

We screwed around for two weeks trying to shrink the lump while waiting on lab results (two separate times that came back necrotic tissue) before we finally had the lump removed.

I'm sure you know this already, but a reminder: Cancer is evil. It is the SNEAKIEST disease I've ever encountered. Ella's bloodwork all came back like she was the picture of health. Her white blood cell count was SUPERB. But the cancer had already invaded her entire body.

Had we not gotten back the lab results with the truth, god knows how long we would have let Ella suffer without knowing any better. Or we would have put her through EXTREMELY expensive chemo therapy without knowing it would have done NOTHING for her.

I would send it off. Knowing IS better, no matter how painful it may be.
Trust me. I was JUST THERE on June 2.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 am

I'm really sorry... :hug:
Mooresmajestic wrote:I didn't have the growth sent out for biopsy because I just can't handle the official results. If I don't have the official results it can't be true... right?
Oh no, get the histopathology done on that lump asap. At least you will know what exactly you are dealing with.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 am

I too hate the "C" word.
HUgs, and I am sorry!

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 am

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. But cancer isn't an immediate death sentence. And chemo is not that expensive (not assuming it would even be applicable in your case). My cat has been undergoing chemo for the last year and a half (currently on more of a maintenance protocol) after an initial prognosis of 6 months. It runs about $85 a month + the drugs, which again are not really that expensive. Of course, the dosages for a cat are small. He's had minimal side effects - lost his whiskers and the pred has done it's usual number on his body - but he's 16 yo and happy.

Just something to consider before abandoning all hope.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:11 pm

TheBowie wrote:I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. But cancer isn't an immediate death sentence. And chemo is not that expensive (not assuming it would even be applicable in your case). My cat has been undergoing chemo for the last year and a half (currently on more of a maintenance protocol) after an initial prognosis of 6 months. It runs about $85 a month + the drugs, which again are not really that expensive. Of course, the dosages for a cat are small. He's had minimal side effects - lost his whiskers and the pred has done it's usual number on his body - but he's 16 yo and happy.

Just something to consider before abandoning all hope.

We could have gone the pred. route with Ella for considerably less than the heavy duty stuff.
But the vet had already put her on a treatment-for-cancer dosage and it did nothing to shrink her tumor.

The heavy duty treatment stuff was going to cost us $10,000-$15,000 for a year's worth of treatments (or was it a course?).
And we would have done it had we thought for one second it would have given us more time with her.

But Ella's case was unusual.
Her lymphoma hit and destroyed her body within 3 weeks. The vet was BAFFLED.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm so sorry. I agree with the other about sending it off. It actually gave me some peace of mind(if that makes sense) knowing what Shay and I were up against.

Hugs to you and your baby.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm

:sad: I'm so sorry. I agree that it would be best to send it off and know...

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm so sorry. Hugs and prayers.

Actually chemo was very expensive when I did it with my girl... and it didn't save her.

There are more advances even since then though. That was 3 1/2 years ago. There is always hope and sometimes miracles do happen.

Return to “Health Issues”