Sudden, temporary loss of legs.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Sudden, temporary loss of legs.

Postby Libby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm freaking out, so I apologize if this isn't very coherent.

I went to town with my Mom today and Gypsy stayed home with my Dad. When we got back, my Dad let Gypsy out and she came running towards the gate. She seemed to just trip, but then she couldn't get up. She started kicking all four of her legs and thrashing around. It only lasted a few seconds, then she was up and running again. She took maybe ten more steps and she did it again. This time I was looking right at her, and her back end just collapsed, her front end struggled for a second then she was on her back and thrashing her legs in the air. I was out and right next to her at this point, and trying to hold her down--she wouldn't stop kicking (I don't know if it was because she was happy to see me and wanted up, or because she couldn't). Her tail was wagging the whole time, and she was happy.

She was back up and standing normally seconds later.

She is acting normal now, nothing to show it happened. She did get a small scrape on one of her hocks from kicking at the ground so hard, but that is it. When I palpitate her legs, she isn't showing any pain reactions. Just happy to be having me touch her.

I just had her out and her right rear leg seems to be folding under her when she walks. She isn't falling or limping, but the leg doesn't seem to be working normally. When I bend it, it works fine, she doesn't show any pain.

Could this be a stroke?

patty

Re: Sudden, temporary loss of legs.

Postby patty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Oh Libby, how is Gypsy this evening? I wish I knew something that could help!!

I am sending tons of good positive vibes and a :hug: for you both. Please, please, please be OK Gypsy!!!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 am

maybe a clot or piece of cartilage in the spinal cord?

I would have her go see a vet for a full neurologic exam, as well as to have her heart checked out...

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:43 am

She is doing ok. She was fine right after the second episode. She isn't acting strange, nothing.

The only thing, is that her right rear leg is sitting funny. When she walks, its almost folding sideways, under her body. She isn't limping, or favoring it in any other way.

I'm leaving here in a few minutes, I'm praying the doctor can look at her first thing this morning. I want to get her hips and spine x-rays, and hopefully he will have more ideas on what to have tested/checked out.

I'm like to chew my lips off, I'm so worried.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 am

Maybe a fibrocartilagenous embolism? These are also known as FCE, and it sounds like her signs are mild enough she should do OK... its really rough on the large dogs that can't walk and take themselves out to potty because it can be 6-8 weeks before they're back to function again.

Definitely get her into the vet... and keep us posted!! FIngers crossed for you!

jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jrowephoto » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:21 am

Prayers / happy thoughts to you and yours. Keep us posted! Hope all turns out well

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:18 am

Wish I had advice, best of luck at the vet. Sending good vibes

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 am

Keeping you and Gypsy in my thoughts and hoping for the best :pray

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:34 pm

:pray

patty

Postby patty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Thinking of you and Gypsy :pray

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:29 pm

She has an enlarged heart. Vet thinks she had a heart attack. There is some congestion in her lungs that he says is pretty typical after a heart attack.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:35 pm

What treatment lies ahead? How is she today?

:hug:

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm

She's completely fine today. Absolutely nothing to show for what happened yesterday. She wants to run and play, jump around like a nitwit, chew on bones, all the stuff she normally does.

We hooked her up to the (forgive me if this is wrong) EKG machine to monitor her heart and respiratory rate. Her blood pressure was high, but everything else looked normal.

No real treatment plan as of yet. We aren't certain it was a heart attack. He said its possible she had a mini seizure, but her symptoms don't really match up. That the fact that her back legs went first, followed by her forelegs, was a pretty good indication that it was a heart attack.

What can I do?

Chances are I will get her x-rays and get a second opinion, but even to my untrained eye I could see that her heart was large.

Oh, and she is developing arthritis in her spine, low down by her hips.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm

If it was obvious Gypsy had an enlarged heart I'm shocked the vet didn't give you any instructions or medications. I know Misskiwi67 will check back in, yvette and others will hopefully chime in also. Absolutely get a second opinion as soon as possible.

Keep us updated and give your beautiful girl a smooch from me. Tons and tons of good vibes sent your way.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Could it be something more like congestive heart failure? Whatever it is, it sounds terrifying and I'm glad she's doing well. :hug:

Return to “Health Issues”