Arlee (foster)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
squid
Addicted to PBF

Arlee (foster)

Postby squid » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:58 pm

This poor girl has so many issues it isn't funny.
First she has her skin issues which have been getting so much better, her belly is clearing up and her ears aren't so red.
then we have her allergies to food/grass allergies she is on a certain diet which she has to stick to or all her red itchy rashes come back. lets not add she struggles with hard toys because her overbite, Has separation issues, her hair has just started growing back on her neck and tail.
Now Yesterday this lump has come up on her neck.
We're hoping its just a fatty mass & that it isn't cancer she is only 6/7 months old poor girl has gone through so much already, Just to find out from her previous owner that they had her shipped in from NSW as you can't get red nose american staffys in SA, and it was a BYB.

Adrianne

Re: Arlee (foster)

Postby Adrianne » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:00 am

Maybe an infection or an allergic reaction with such a low immune system?

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 am

Adrianne wrote:Maybe an infection or an allergic reaction with such a low immune system?

Could be, She is going to the vet next tuesday sadly its the earliest anybody could get her in.
Hoping it doesn't get bigger between now and then, We're keeping a extremely close eye on her. It is soft and it doesn't bother her if we touch it.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:01 am

Could be an infected/impacted salivary gland or an enlarged lymph node... be sure to update us on Tuesday!

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:16 pm

So just got back from the vets with arlee, SO wish i could have gotten her in earlier after everything today.
they expect she has a impacted salivary gland, she is currently on antibiotics for it, if it hasn't gone by next week she is getting more test run on it, Her ears have a secondary ear infection, where the rescue's vet said the redness was caused by her skin allergies so the vet has called the rescue to tell them and the rescue are in the process of changing vets now thankful, she is booked in tomorrow for a flush and clean. They put her on new pills for her rash and hopefully it clears up a little more. All in all after all the tablets she has been put on she is healthy otherwise, and they are happy with how i treat/walk/socialize her :)), The vet whom is scared of the breed actually said she might adopt her if she is still up once her house is finished being built, she feel in love with how friendly she is. So i really hope she gets better poor girl.

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 am

How is this girl doing? Any updates?

:-)

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 am

mpetva2 wrote:How is this girl doing? Any updates?

:-)

Her ears are doing so much better. Sadly the lump on her neck is still there, hasn't gone down at all but there is still 5 tablets to go, she has been having "accidents" and not even knowing it, so we took her back to the vet and she has a UTI, so she's now on medication for that, other wise she is extremely happy, No more scratching coming from her, she actually looks so much happier her eyes have more shine in them also with her coat.
I am getting attached to her which is really odd for me, i was never a attachable person before yuhndi and I'd promised myself to never get attached to another dog after i lost yuhndi (trying hard not to as she'll find a home one day) so the lump not going down has me worried.

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Thank you for the update :-)

I am so glad to hear that her ears are getting better and that her accidents were due to a UTI. Anything new on the lump? I wonder if is the lymph node (not that I know where axactly they are located). Has the vet looked at it when she went in for the UTI?

She is such a cutie and I am so glad that you are fostering her. She looks to be in the best hands possible :-)

And as for getting attached to her... they sure have a way of wiggling into one's heart even if you don't want to. I think that is part of what makes dogs special.

Please keep us updated on her lump and of course, post new photos :-)

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:01 am

mpetva2 wrote:Thank you for the update :-)

I am so glad to hear that her ears are getting better and that her accidents were due to a UTI. Anything new on the lump? I wonder if is the lymph node (not that I know where axactly they are located). Has the vet looked at it when she went in for the UTI?

She is such a cutie and I am so glad that you are fostering her. She looks to be in the best hands possible :-)

And as for getting attached to her... they sure have a way of wiggling into one's heart even if you don't want to. I think that is part of what makes dogs special.

Please keep us updated on her lump and of course, post new photos :-)

They didn't do any test on her when she went in for the UTI as she had only just started on her medications sadly she finished them today and the lump is still there, looks exactly the same.
so back to the vets again tuesday only a day away YAY. they are taking bloods again and It seemed to be like a impacted gland when they syringe fluid out of the lump area but the medication she was placed on didn't help so i am a little worried as to what it can be. hoping it isn't a lymph node.
As for her ears they are 100% better the vet was worried about her ear drum they where that bad, Also her UTI has cleared up. thankful so no more accidents, trying to stop excitement accidents though.
Good thing is she is still herself, learning extremely fast, Loves to play on the flirt pole.
I have to take some new photos of her neck tomorrow. I hope they can tell me whats wrong with it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138527 that's her latest pictures, so everything that's going on with her,doesn't make her a dull pup lol she's a ball of energy.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 am

Impacted salivary glands are rarely due to infection... its a blockage in the duct. Often the only solution is to surgically remove the gland.

Did they stick a needle in the lump? Did they get straw or honey-colored fluid out of it???

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /23119.htm

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Impacted salivary glands are rarely due to infection... its a blockage in the duct. Often the only solution is to surgically remove the gland.

Did they stick a needle in the lump? Did they get straw or honey-colored fluid out of it???

They stuck a needled into the lump and pulled out this pink/red goo looking stuff that's why the said " i expect it to be a impacted gland try her on these to see if it goes down or not"...told them it hadn't done much after 5 days on her 10 days pills they said wait until the 10 days are up....still nothing so she's back in tuesday i hope they take it out but i have asked them to take bloods to test everything else a blood test in her body.
Question.... When she first come to us she had bite mark scars on her face the swelling come up on could that have caused it? you can semi see the marks in the first pictures i put up, they where healed 100% when we got her but the skin doesn't grow back there.

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm

squid wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Impacted salivary glands are rarely due to infection... its a blockage in the duct. Often the only solution is to surgically remove the gland.

They stuck a needled into the lump and pulled out this pink/red goo looking stuff that's why the said " i expect it to be a impacted gland try her on these to see if it goes down or not"...told them it hadn't done much after 5 days on her 10 days pills they said wait until the 10 days are up....still nothing so she's back in tuesday i hope they take it out but i have asked them to take bloods to test everything else a blood test in her body.
Question.... When she first come to us she had bite mark scars on her face the swelling come up on could that have caused it? you can semi see the marks in the first pictures i put up, they where healed 100% when we got her but the skin doesn't grow back there.

If she got bit there it could be an infection . Though the bite looks healed on the outside it could still have an infection underneath...they should have checked the fluid they drew out and/or sent it in to see what it is and which antibiotic is the right one for the (possible) infection?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:53 pm

X2 :goodpost:

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 pm

mpetva2 wrote:
squid wrote:

If she got bit there it could be an infection . Though the bite looks healed on the outside it could still have an infection underneath...they should have checked the fluid they drew out and/or sent it in to see what it is and which antibiotic is the right one for the (possible) infection?

They did check it, Well they where looking at it through a microscope when i was watching them, that was before they put her onto anything.
I asked the bite question because the vet also said it could be caused by that and asked where the marks come from (already healed) they are old scars from the look of them,i told the vet i am not 100% sure where they come from, but she has a few on her cheek/on her neck etc.

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 am

Well we got arlee into the vet earlier then tomorrow morning LOL got her in at 6:30pm tonight (now 7:38pm Monday) They took more fluids out of her neck and sent them away and took a look at some, there was traces of lymph something cells in the fluid out of the lump but not enough to panic, they are heading towards a busted gland because the bite marks under her neck are exactly on the lump(never saw them only saw a few on her face and neck)
If its a busted gland, then the rescue is having it removed ASAP.
Her ears are better and they are happy with them extremely happy.

Return to “Health Issues”