Drinking lake water

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Drinking lake water

Postby Besonbully » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:47 pm

I thought I was having a problem with my dogs stool because of a flavor change in his food. He has had serious and uncontrolled diarrhea twice now and I just put two and two together and I think it is from him drinking river and lake water. The last two times he's been in the water for over an hour the next day he's had serious diarrhea. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone experience the same thing? Will he get use to it? What can I do? Thanks a lot!

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Re: Drinking lake water

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Definitely go to your vet; they can get some nasty parasites from water and you can catch them too.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:Definitely go to your vet; they can get some nasty parasites from water and you can catch them too.

I second this. I think the big one around (and common elsewhere too) is giardia.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Definitely a vet visit is in order. They can pick parasites from the water. Also look at the food, sometimes switching flavors or protein sources can cause gi issues. What were you feeding and what did you switch to?

sorraia
Newborn Bully

Postby sorraia » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Does sound like the water could be a reasonable cause. Even if it isn't parasites, it could be bacteria. Some of the companies I work with regularly test water in the area, and the number one pollutant in all the local water is bacteria (with phosphates also being very high, which basically = fertilizer).

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:38 pm

There is also an algae in lake/pond water that can cause acute death... I try to prevent my dogs from drinking from stagnant water whenever possible.

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Besonbully » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Jesus really? Lets not over react here. Death?

First of all dogs bleeding out of their rectum actually doesn't constitute as being that serious. Secondly, higher volumes of ecoli will cause dogs to have a runny stool. Thirdly, I bet if you asked 10 people at your local dog park, half will tell you their dogs have experienced a loose stool with a little bit of bleeding. Like I said it is much more common then you would expect.

I really hope that for some of you this isn't the reaction you give to everyone's posts in the health issues section.

I thought it was his food at first. I switched from Pacific salmon Taste of the Wild to the Prairie flavor. I got a free bag out of it but I realize now that it wasnt the food. Oh well.

Thanks anyways people

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Don't worry, I don't think your dog has blue-green algae toxicity... its just something to watch out for this time of year...

http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx11007.pdf

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Besonbully » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:12 am

Haha thank you!

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 am

You're pretty quick to dismiss other opinions...makes me wonder why you asked in the first place.

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Besonbully » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 pm

I've been personally contaminating the lakes and rivers in my community and I want to see what will happen to the local dogs.... Like really? I appreciate the responses but layoff the detective work spammie....

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Don't worry, I don't think your dog has blue-green algae toxicity... its just something to watch out for this time of year...

http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx11007.pdf

Yes,,,death can happen...Last year there was a lake up here that was toxic.... If I remember right 2 people lost their dogs from ingesting the water.

Please do not take offense to other posters....We all just want a good and healthy life for our dogs....

If you think you are making a connection with your dogs health and the lake,,,,stay away. Any rivers nearby? Giardia can still be gotten,,,but it is my opinion that moving water is safer to digest.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Besonbully wrote:I've been personally contaminating the lakes and rivers in my community and I want to see what will happen to the local dogs.... Like really? I appreciate the responses but layoff the detective work spammie....

Really, there's no need to be rude to me or anybody else who posts in thread. Please watch your tone.
Here is a link to the rules of the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64327

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:57 pm

We have multiple dog deaths in my area EVERY YEAR due to blue green algae in lake water. So before you go off your rocker and be rude to people who are trying to give you advice that you ASKED FOR, perhaps you should take a minute to realize that the people who care enough to respond just want your dog to be safe and healthy.

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Besonbully » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:We have multiple dog deaths in my area EVERY YEAR due to blue green algae in lake water. So before you go off your rocker and be rude to people who are trying to give you advice that you ASKED FOR, perhaps you should take a minute to realize that the people who care enough to respond just want your dog to be safe and healthy.

Actually I'm pretty sure I acknowledged the fact that people responded to my question and I thanked them for it so thank you very much for that. Don't want to leave you out now.

I wasn't trying to be rude but I was rather trying to get at that its a little hasty to start saying my dog might die yada yada yada when in actuality it was just standard "runs".

Return to “Health Issues”