Digestive issues continue

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Digestive issues continue

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 pm

WHY must my dog have a million issues, in every system/organ possible?

I really don't know WHAT to feed this animal.

To sum it up (you can also hit my recent posts, of which there are many on this topic): horrendous gas/soft stool on NB Sweet Potato & Fish
significant weight loss on Wellness Ocean Core
Massive, bloody, liquid diarrhea on Nature's Variety Instinct

Now, on to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon for about 3-4 weeks, eased into it with boiled white rice
Much better than above three
But still bouts of soft stool, but not liquid. Drops of blood and straining. I notice his area there is irritated from all of this.

I'm at a loss and completely frustrated.

He's on Atopica daily. No other supplements.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Digestive issues continue

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Have you tried a different protein other than fish?

I know you were/are trying to deal with an unknown allergy issue.

My mom has had soft stool diarrhea issues with her dog since she got him(2 years or so). I know for a while she was feeding eukanuba because of the beet pulp to harden stool.

I realize this is not helpful, but I feel your pain. I just switched Khan's food and we have been dealing with allergy flare up since the fall or winter.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:20 pm

I tried NV both Turkey/Duck and Chicken. Because he had a problem with both of them, I think his issue was more the tapioca they put in it (supposed to be great for dogs with sensitive stomachs).I really like Nature's Variety as a company and am upset that he did so poorly on it. Was thinking of trying the Prairie line but hesitate to go away from grain free.

The Blue Buffalo Wilderness he's on now is salmon with chicken (more salmon than chicken). When I first brought him home, he was on the Wellness Super5Mix Chicken w/sweet potatoes.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:23 pm

30% of dogs on atopica experience diarrhea and a further 17% soft stool.
Some of the issues can be from the atopica.

I would also look at giardia. Symptoms are as you described and if it goes on long enough will damage the gut and inhibit food absorption. Being on an immune suppressant would make him more susceptible to giardia. Its symptoms can also be intermittant.

If you think a fish diet is best what about Wellness Simple Solutions Salmon and Rice?

Or what about a homecooked diet?

Simple is usually best with allergies. Natures Variety is a great food but very high in protein and fat and even the rabbit food has pork in it ( natural flavour) and a lot of ingredients.

A boiled pork and rice diet can be made to be complete, and since many dogs have little exposure to pork, can work as an in-expensive protein. I'd be happy to do a recipe for you if you're interested.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 pm

I just had his stool tested a few weeks ago. Everything was clear.

Considered the Atopica being the culprit, and is probably not helping, but he was having issues on NB before we started Atopica. But, could be why he is still having issues on different foods. I didn't realize that side effect was so prevalent.

I've looked at the Wellness Simple Solutions; just afraid to go with grain...but maybe he needs it? Also don't want to go with an uber low protein count. His immune system is so crappy, I want to boost him with foods the best I can.

Also considered home cooked but am afraid, with my lack of knowledge, that I will not give him everything he needs. My vet advises against home cooked/raw for this reason.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:50 pm

I don't know WHAT I'm doing wrong.

Blu just weaned off of the prednisone in addition to the Atopica. He was on 2.5mg pred. daily plus the 100mg. Atopica daily for two months; I was extremely uncomfortable with this so, under vet's direction, weaned him off pred. This is his second day with no pred and he's licking his paws and scratching his ears.

I seriously could scream right now. What am I supposed to do? Let him itch or doubly suppress his immune system with both Atopica and prednisone?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:02 pm

I use Animal Essentials plant enzymes and probiotics for Soleil, it's helped her a lot. I'm a raw feeder though.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am

Sorry you're having so many issues. :(

I have to give Cherry antihistamines with her Atopica. She still itches every once in awhile and chews on her paws but it isn't nearly as severe as without Atopica. I also give her 3000mg a day of fish oil. (1000mg in am, lunch, pm) I think she would do much better on raw since she's allergic to storage mites but it isn't really feasible for us right now. Maybe storage mites are one of your dog's most severe allergens?

He's gonna get worse before he gets better. Take him off the pred and give it a month on Atopica. See how he does. It was the same way with Cherry but within 2 weeks, she was awesome.

My best friend's dog has the most sensitive digestive system I've seen. He had constant bloody diarreah and looked like a skeleton. They got him on 3 months of B12 shots and on some prescription Science Diet food. I don't like Science Diet but I looked at the ingredients and it actually wasn't bad. He is doing perfect on it. She just supplements with vitamins and fish oil. His allergies have never been like Cherry and Blu's though.

sorraia
Newborn Bully

Postby sorraia » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:31 am

I know you said you are afraid to try a home cooked/raw diet, but while you are trying to find a processed diet that works, would it be possible for you to start researching? You could contact people who are knowledgeable and see what you can glean off them, as well as start looking for websites, articles, books, etc any resource that might be helpful. I'm a firm believer in a biologically appropriate, natural diet for any animal, though I do understand that's not always possible.
My experiences aren't quite as bad as for your pup, but when I first got Alley I had some digestive trouble with her. She had horrible gas ALL the time, bad enough to make me want to vomit if the windows weren't open. She'd eat her meal so fast she'd vomit back up, and nothing I tried would slow her down. Her stools were not terribly firm nor terribly soft, though at times she would have diarrhea. All vet checks came up clean. I already had the cats on raw, finally decided to make the switch with Alley. Within a month or two these issues cleared up. I don't know if it would help with your dog or not, it all depends on what is the original problem I guess.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks everyone. This gets really frustrating/heartbreaking sometimes.

He seems a little better stomach-wise today but it's an off and on thing. We've tried Fortiflora in the past on him without success, but perhaps I will try the one suggested above by Leslie. Will look at the ingredients now. Used to give him plain yogurt but recently stopped it to see if he was reacting to the dairy.

I still give him his Claritin and I'd love to give him fish oil and vitamin C but I stopped both to see if either was causing/worsening his diarrhea. Think I will try to slowly bring the fish oil back.

Storage mites--yes, I've definitely considered that. I add water to his kibble and I've heard keeping it refrigerated is also helpful? I don't do that but maybe will try.

My vet has suggested both Royal Canin and Prescription S/D. I will definitely go there if necessary but want to exhaust other options first as I think he needs a high quality food with his super crappy immune system.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Leslie, where do you buy that from?

It's not letting me see the directions or ingredients on Amazon or Animal Essentials.com.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Ask the vet what medicine they might recommend, what I did was switch my dog to a lower very poor kibble.
Like Pedigree, it fixed the soft stool, of course I mix different types of meats but your pup is probably too sensitive.
Try it, wouldn't hurt I also was at lost cause of soft stool and was thinking of switching to a higher protein kibble but don't want to risk it right now.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 pm

I was also going to suggest trying a less than super premium food. Purina Pro plan has a fish formula I'm sure so you can stick to fewer ingredients. Another food I used to really love that was low on ingredients and not overly rich was California Natural... don't see it talked about much anymore though...

You may need to give low doses of pred every other day. 2.5mg is hardly anything for a medium sized dog, but its still 10 times more than the body makes. 2.5mg is hardly immunosuppressive however, so I wouldn't sweat it... try again, then stop again in a few months. Its still peak allergy season for many dogs!

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:58 pm

http://www.total-zymes.com/pdf/TOTAL-BIOTICS.pdf

Someone recommended this product to me. Has anyone used it?

It contains beet root and maltodextrin. Could that trigger an allergic reaction in a highly sensitive dog?

I don't want to introduce something that has the potential to kick him while he's down...

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Sorry, I get it at my friend Nancy's feed store, she's got great stuff.

Return to “Health Issues”