Bumps on elbow?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Bumps on elbow?

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 am

My dogs were boarded about 3 weeks ago and my adult male came home with what seemed to be healing bug bites on his underside. They went away but now he has these bumps on his elbows that are similiar to what was on his underside but seem to be spreading. They are not just on the part that has contact with hard surfaces but also on the underside of the elbow. He is hypothyroid and on meds. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before? He has the earliest available vet appointment, Friday.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Re: Bumps on elbow?

Postby ClickNtreat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Did you take his own bedding? Or was he using bedding provided by the kennels? Maybe he had an allergy to their washing powder or disinfectant?

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 pm

I'd have a vet check. My dog once had picked up ringworm while being boarded.

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:49 am

the boarding facility would not allow our bedding, this was my only dislike. my other 2 dogs are perfectly fine so i am thinking it is some type of reaction. spoke with the vet and he suggested benedryl to see if it improves before our appointment friday.

spammie, i could not imagine bringing home ringworm, how awful. hopefully your dog recovered quickly?

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Where in NJ are you? I know a great boarding facility for future use. I hate leaving Blu overnight but trust this staff 100%. And it's immaculate! And they allow bedding, toys, food, anything you want to bring.

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:11 am

any news?

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:22 am

2fatcatsandapitbull wrote:pammie, i could not imagine bringing home ringworm, how awful. hopefully your dog recovered quickly?

It took 10 days on an anti-fungal and the hair is growing back nicely

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:49 am

IloveBlu wrote:Where in NJ are you? I know a great boarding facility for future use. I hate leaving Blu overnight but trust this staff 100%. And it's immaculate! And they allow bedding, toys, food, anything you want to bring.

i would like the name of the facility you use for a back up. i do like the place i used, they are very clean and loved the dogs. when i called to check on the dogs, i could tell the staff spent time with them because they knew things about the dogs that they would only know by spending time with them.

spammie mentioned ringworm and suddenly paranoia set in, i was envisioning all my dogs covered head to tail :oops: . no change with the benedryl so i washed him with zymox shampoo, and used the rinse and topical spray. by friday morning, all the bumps were flat. the vet feels it was most likely a reaction of some sort combined with a secondary bacterial infection but the zymox alone seems to be taking care of everything.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 am

Good news, that looks nothing like ring worm :) Looks ike an allergic reaction with some secondary infection irritation, glad it cleared up (or is clearing up!) Why on earth wouldn't they allow your own bedding??

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:03 am

I'm not saying it was ringworm I'm just saying they can pick up stuff at kennels.
I'm just sayin'.

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:15 am

spammie wrote:I'm not saying it was ringworm I'm just saying they can pick up stuff at kennels.
I'm just sayin'.

i am not sure why they do not accept bedding from home. the next time i board the dogs, i will ask if i can bring my own and explain why. although, knowing my dog if it was hot he was not sleeping on bedding but on the kennel floor.

i didn't mean to make it sound like spammie thought bumps boy had ringworm. i thought that it was some rare scaly bump fungus that was going to spread and cover all my dogs. it was possible it was something contagious and when the benedryl did nothing, i decided to whip out the zymox and kick some scaly bump arse.

spammie, glad your dog responded quickly to treatment. not something you expect nor want to bring home from boarding.

Return to “Health Issues”