Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Re: Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:49 pm

We chose Pet Plan Insurance. What I liked about them was that they pay based on the billed charges and not a fee schedule. They have max payment amounts but they were much, much better than others I checked. [url]pet plan insurance[/url]

The company I work for recently began to offer Pet Insurance through a company that would offer us a discount. We could even have the premium auto deducted from our checks. However, even with the discount the premium was more and they had a really crappy fee schedule they used to base their allowed amount. That means I would pay my percentage plus the difference between was the Vet billed and their allow amounts.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Sorry about the double post but here is the link http://www.gopetplan.com/

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Emmett's surgery went well. Recovering now and staying over at the vet. Going to get "monkey bread" at 11am Saturday.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm glad the surgery went well :)
Hope he recovers well too.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:41 pm

All went well in surgery. The cut they made out of the bone didn't sit as "flat" in itself as he wanted so he put two pins in the bone. He reassured us that it won't affect the outcome as his bone will fill that "gap" in during the healing and remodeling process. So Emmett is home now resting.

Here he is loaded up ready to ride home. He wanted to stand when we started moving so I rode back there w/ him the whole 45min home just to make sure my $2,400 knee was safe!!!

Here is a crappy cell phone pic looking straight on of his knee. 6 screws, a think plate, 2 pins, and 23 staples!! Might want to start calling him "metal monkey" now

Drugged up

Little bruised up but looks clean and not too inflamed

Another look....His inner thighs have razor burn on them.

The rehab has begun. DId 10 flexsion and 10 extension exercises w/ him. He has WAY better motion than I thought he would!!! Better than me day 2 of my ACL surgery

Lunchbucket

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 pm

Glad to see he is recovering well!! Poor Emmett. He looks so sad though! I dealt with an ACL and meniscus problem myself. Then Red has 2 torn ACLs. One in each leg, BUT with her, she has NO room for them to pull from to fix it in surgery, so we do homeopathic care and Prolotherapy. Ligaments in general are no FUN!

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:09 am

Ouch! You're a good guy Lunchbucket!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:24 am

Heal quickly Mr Emmett. :hug:

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 am

Red Chrome wrote:Glad to see he is recovering well!! Poor Emmett. He looks so sad though! I dealt with an ACL and meniscus problem myself. Then Red has 2 torn ACLs. One in each leg, BUT with her, she has NO room for them to pull from to fix it in surgery, so we do homeopathic care and Prolotherapy. Ligaments in general are no FUN!

Yeah ligaments aren't fun. I'm w/ you on the acl and meniscus. ACL was harder at first but the meniscus is worse over time. I only have like 1/3 of my meniscus left and bone on bone isn't fun

Why can't they do anything for Red? They can't do a TPLO or some other procedure?

NorCalRose wrote:Ouch! You're a good guy Lunchbucket!

Why thank you. Just care about my dogs like they are my kids!

Day 2 he seems alert and ate breakfast and was outside and did #2. Just gonna do his rehab exercises now.

Lunchbucket

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:16 am

Looks like the vet did a very nice job. He'll be back to normal before you know it...

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah. I only have a little bit of my meniscus left. It sucks. Red has no rear angulation at all, so the surgeries are pretty much out for her according to an Orthopedic. He said they would over time do more damage than good. So we opted out of surgery for hers. The holistic care works well so far. It sucks.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Boxers have the BEST.... "Owie... it hurts, kiss it!" faces roflmao Kiss that boy!! Good luck and take it very very slow if you think you are taking it slow......... slow down more. lol I thought we were never going to turn a corner but when we did it was amazing!! He will do great

Zila had both ACLs done and came back for meniscus cleanup on both legs. She took a full 2yrs to recover but I can tell you she is FULLY recovered. Swimming gave her the extra edge she needed. Zee did not have the TTA or the TPLO I did not want them cutting bone so she had the Extracapsular Stabilization it has done her wonders, she is more agile now than she was before the surgeries.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm

We will take it slow. Very slow

Emmett is doing really well! Doesn't seem to have any pain and seems back to the happy go lucky boy that he is. Eve and him played on the floor very carefully. I had him leashed and was supervising A LOT! Just let them lay on sides and mouth and keep a hand on him so doesn't do anything dumb

Incision looks great and he will walk on it every step now as long as we go very slow. Walk to potty too fast and he will hop so its good feedback on how fast to go. He will willingly let us do the rehab and ice it which helps. Ankle swelled up on day2 and day 3. Its going down now

All in all very impressed with the progress and how happy he seems. Hope the rest goes this easy...it won't. Once he statrts to feel what he thinks is 100% he's gonna be crazy

Lunchbucket

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Glad he is doing well. It is crazy how fast they heal, it will go by really quick. He has gotten so big, i cant believe not too long ago he was a little puppy

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 am

GusBus wrote:Glad he is doing well. It is crazy how fast they heal, it will go by really quick. He has gotten so big, i cant believe not too long ago he was a little puppy

Oh yes he's a big little man. Up to 63lbs of solid muscle now.

Return to “Health Issues”