Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 pm

wierd, maggie's plate was different!
she had the metal taken out of her left (2nd) leg, and this is what came out:

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Pretty similar but yeah some differences. How's she doing after the hardware removal?

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 pm

The bone actually heals pretty quickly. If you get another x-ray in a few months etc. you will see a slightly darker area in the bone, but that means it is healing over. Bones are sooooo cool!

Lunchbucket wrote:
PitBull-Lady wrote:Not to belittle Emmets' screws, but you should have seem what just came out of my friends hip
Holy mother!!!

Like a human hip? Yeah they put a 10-12" rod in there!!!!!!

Lunchbucket

yeah, human, he broke it because some douche cut him off on the wrong side while this big pack he was in was doing a serious training ride. The guy just kept going. Meanwhile my friend broke his helmet and his hip. The screws were causing some pain and irritation from some muscles needed fixing, so they removed it. He already feels better despite the pain killers lol!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:Pretty similar but yeah some differences. How's she doing after the hardware removal?

well, that knee has been a disaster.
TPLO, then that healed up but she was still favouring it and trying to chew the sh|t out of it (months later when all the incision was healed up and the hair was grown back in), so they thought it was an infection. plate removal surgery went well, she healed back up to where she was before, but still never stopped trying to chew it (note: she was always coned while i was at work, but it took some time to find a cone setup that acctually worked). one more surgery to poke around, clean up anything that could potentially be bothering her, and they did something to another tendon in there while they were at it. once again, she healed back up to where she was at, but never 100%.

it's been well over a year since she blew that knee (her last surgery was jan 2010) and she's still coned while i'm at work. she can walk and play rough/wrestle with my friends dog, but she always favours that side. even when she's standing, if you look close you can just see her leaning a little bit. i can leave her unconed for a few hours at a time, or if someone's with her, but as of right now i don't think i could leave her for a full day of work without her chewing her leg open. :(

at this point, we're at a stalemate and no one knows what's going on. her first knee went flawlessly, but this one's a disaster.

here's hoping your dog turns out better!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 pm

:tongue:
kaytenmags wrote:
Lunchbucket wrote:Pretty similar but yeah some differences. How's she doing after the hardware removal?

well, that knee has been a disaster.
TPLO, then that healed up but she was still favouring it and trying to chew the sh|t out of it (months later when all the incision was healed up and the hair was grown back in), so they thought it was an infection. plate removal surgery went well, she healed back up to where she was before, but still never stopped trying to chew it (note: she was always coned while i was at work, but it took some time to find a cone setup that acctually worked). one more surgery to poke around, clean up anything that could potentially be bothering her, and they did something to another tendon in there while they were at it. once again, she healed back up to where she was at, but never 100%.

it's been well over a year since she blew that knee (her last surgery was jan 2010) and she's still coned while i'm at work. she can walk and play rough/wrestle with my friends dog, but she always favours that side. even when she's standing, if you look close you can just see her leaning a little bit. i can leave her unconed for a few hours at a time, or if someone's with her, but as of right now i don't think i could leave her for a full day of work without her chewing her leg open. :(

Omg I'm sorry to hear that. Hope Emmetts turns out ok. He favors it while standing but only time will tell if it clears up

at this point, we're at a stalemate and no one knows what's going on. her first knee went flawlessly, but this one's a disaster.

here's hoping your dog turns out better!

Return to “Health Issues”