Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Odnarb

Re: Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Postby Odnarb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:18 am

Glad he's doing well!

I've assisted Dr. Merkley in surgery before. He's great! He was also one of Misskiwi67's professors.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Odnarb wrote:Glad he's doing well!

I've assisted Dr. Merkley in surgery before. He's great! He was also one of Misskiwi67's professors.

He is such a great guy. How'd you get to assist him? Yeah been talking w/ Misskiwi about him too

Emmett walking 17days post op. Walks well but need to keep him down still for 2more weeks. Then start slow walks around the neighborhood. Right now it's out to potty and maybe 2 laps in our yard and back in :( :( He still doesn't put full weight on it when standing.

Lunchbucket

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:18 pm

When I moved here, I worked at a clinic for a while before I decided to ditch veterinary medicine for good. He came and did surgeries here, too.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 am

looks like he's doing great :)
did you have any issues with the staples? my dog had stitches for her first knee, and staples for her second one (both TPLO). she seemed to do better with the stitches :dunno:

for a comparison, this was my dog, maggie, 17 days post-op when she had her first (right) knee done. (must be something about 17 days that makes us break out the video camera lol)

you can see that while she'll put her right foot down, she doesn't put much weight on it.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 pm

OK some big updates

10/6/10
Forgot to pm u back after our 8wk x-ray. All looked good and bone showed signs of healing and remodeling. Our vet emailed the x-rays to dr merkley and he agreed that they looked normal. Our vet described what emmett was doing and merkley said some heal faster than other or something like thaty. They suggested upping his activity to 30min walks multiple times/day, figure 8's, circles, sit stands, water work, carpetmill, and going up and down flights of stairs. Just be carefull not to overweork him

Been doing that and he is getting no better or worse with weight bearing while standing. Dr merkley is ddoing a tplo @ our vet oct 22 and wants to peek at him

His walking is amazing and quite a bit of muscle is back. He's has bolted a few times in the house and seems ok and has trotted a short distance in house and gait looks good no limping

10/22/10
Well wife and Emmett saw Dr Merkly on Friday. Took new X-rays. E-man was such a good boy they didn't even have to sedate him....he just laid there for X-rays.

I am telling you what my wife told me as I was at a SAR seminar w/ Eve. Merkly said all of the bone is healed (including that part that was a gap from the graft not lining up 100%) except for one part next to the plate. He doesn't know if it is 1) because the plate won't let the bone get enough weight baring to cause bone growth or if 2) there is a slight infection there causing no bone growth. Wife said it looked the same post op as it did Friday (12wks IIRC)

Merkly said increase his activity slowly to normal levels. So longer walks and letting him goof in the backyard as long as he "isn't playing frisby" So I'm gussing letting him prance around but no all out sprinting/cutting. We will re evaluate in 6wks and see if the increase in activity got the bone to grow. If not he will remove the plate, all the screws, and the 2 pins.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Well, you couldn't have a better surgeon on the case! Hope that little bit of extra activity will stimulate bone growth.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Odnarb wrote:Well, you couldn't have a better surgeon on the case! Hope that little bit of extra activity will stimulate bone growth.

Me too...but if we need to take it out then lets "Get'r done!"

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Emmett likes the fact that he can get outside off leash no some!!

<object width="400" height="292" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/455271205771" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/455271205771" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="292"></embed></object>

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm

So need to update. Emmett's "gap" in his bone where the graft did not sit down tight has not fully healed since July 30th. Also, he has will not stand full weight bearing most of the time. Will run and play crazy and gaits well but will stand w/ toes under him or only part putting weight on leg. The surgeon felt his body does not like the metal hardware and that could be some of the reason for standing weird. Reason for bone not healing (it looks like a 5wk old bone maybe in that gap but the rest of it is all healed nicely) is that the plate is holding the bone and not allowing full impact on the bone so it won't grow as fast. Also, when it is very cold out he will lock up that leg and will not use it. They feel it's the metal sucking in so much cold that it hurts....he has very little skin or body fat over that plate.

So the they decided to take the plate out. He's had a rough couple weeks If you haven't seen this.

Surgery went well but now we have to keep him from running on it for a while till the holes where the screws were heal up.

Hers is his new incision to impress the girls. It has just started to flush the swelling to his "ankle" so he has a wobbly fluid filled ankle :(

And here is what they put in dogs for their TPLO surgery!!! That plate is 3/8" thick!

So it's back to leashing him to pee and trying to keep him non rambunctious! But we hope that it will give us the final results that we are looking for!

Lunchbucket

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:08 pm

wow! that is a thick plate!

glad he's doing better. Sounds like poor thing has been through the ringer! :hug:

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:wow! that is a thick plate!

glad he's doing better. Sounds like poor thing has been through the ringer! :hug:

Definatly been thru a lot but is a trooper and very happy

The plate is about two nickles thick

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:47 pm

I hope the plate removal solves the problem – the plate actually doesn't freak me out as much as the six screws that go into the bones to hold the plate in. Molly sends her best to Emmett – she knows how sucky enforced rest and leashed walks are. :hug:

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Emmett has TPLO surgery on Friday July 30th

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Not to belittle Emmets' screws, but you should have seem what just came out of my friends hip

Holy mother!!!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:27 pm

mtlu wrote:I hope the plate removal solves the problem – the plate actually doesn't freak me out as much as the six screws that go into the bones to hold the plate in. Molly sends her best to Emmett – she knows how sucky enforced rest and leashed walks are. :hug:

I hope it solves it too. Yeah the six screws making swiss cheese in the bone makes me hope it doesn't break for any reason. Yeah holding his butt back is gonna be hard when he starts to feel better.

PitBull-Lady wrote:Not to belittle Emmets' screws, but you should have seem what just came out of my friends hip
Holy mother!!!

Like a human hip? Yeah they put a 10-12" rod in there!!!!!!

Lunchbucket

Return to “Health Issues”