How contagious is demodectic mange?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

How contagious is demodectic mange?

Postby Sailboat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:05 am

Our neighbors have a lovely new pit bull puppy. Everyone wants to play with him (myself included!) Even Sadie has overcome her normal reactivity with new dogs and wants to play with him, bumping noses and brushing up against each other.

But he's been diagnosed with demodectic mange. I'm not sure how contagious this is and what, if any, measures we need to take to protect out dogs.

Most web resources indicate it's a mite present on all dogs and only becomes a problem with a compromised (or undeveloped, in this case) immune system -- which sounds like my dogs need not worry. But other sources, including some posts I searched here on PBF said Demodex is a life-long worry. That concerns me.

The puppy is being treated with a topical chemical of some kind and receiving Benedryl for his itching, but he will be on these treatments for another month.

Is this something to worry about? Can my dogs "catch" it from contact? Or is this only an issue if their immune systems crash for some other reason?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: How contagious is demodectic mange?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:31 am

Demodex is not contagious at all...

Every dog has the mites, they get them from their mom while nursing. Only dogs with compromised immune systems will have difficulties with the mange mites, and most dogs grow out of it with a little help.

Here is a good article on Demodex:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... &C=0&A=630

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Ophie's mange popped up when she got kennel cough, I believe.

She went through her last mange treatment last week, so hopefully it'll be all gone now.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm

for reference it is sarcoptic mange that is contagious :)

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:04 pm

both of my dogs had demodetic mange..its not contagious at all..and they had it pretty bad lol..but we went through all the dips and did the whole sha-bang lol you have nothing to worry about :)

Return to “Health Issues”