"runts" of the litter?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nelsnm352
Newborn Bully

"runts" of the litter?

Postby nelsnm352 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:55 am

i have a question that may have been answered in here before but what do you think about the "runt" of the litter.Do they usually grow up to be the bigger of the littler? Do they tend to just grow up a little slower then average out the same as the other litter mates when he hits his adult age? What does everyone think about this topic...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: "runts" of the litter?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 am

You never know... and really it depends on WHY they are a runt. In large litters, sometimes there just isn't enough space in the uterus, and an otherwise normal fetus gets less nutrition, and grows slowly in utero. Other times, there is something wrong with the runt developmentally, and those puppies may have numerous health problems throughout their lives. Many runts will do poorly in large litters just because their smaller size puts them at a disadvantage when competing for moms milk, but if they can get enough nutrition and they are free of congenital defects, they will usually catch up with their siblings by the time they are weaned. These pups do often become the largest and most robust of the litter because they got extra "help" along the way. Runts are not genetically predisposed to be smaller or larger as adults, a lot of it depends on how much nutrition they get compared to their siblings.

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:24 am

I have a runt, she was approximately 3-4lbs smaller then her siblings up until they really started growing. She is also the only female in a litter of 7.
At almost 2 years old (October) Avery weighs approx. 40lbs and her 6 brothers weigh between 60lbs -90lbs. Her mom was about 45lbs when she had the litter..but we have no idea what the dad(s) were as this was a rescued litter.

Avery was given the same amount of food as the rest of the pups, despite being the smallest she sure knew how to get her brothers out of the way so she could eat. She's active, healthy and a very happy dog.

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:22 am

It all depends.
My mother in laws dog was the runt of 11 puppies, The mother and father tried to kill him, he has many health issues, his 6 months old and can't control his body, Only just started to put on muscle and weight, blind, bad immune system.
They often question if its worth him being alive, but they are giving him the best life he can until he completely shuts down.
My friend on the other hand owns a runt of another litter 5 girls 6 boys, and she is extremely healthy, No health issues, extremely smart, she is now the same size as her other sisters whom they stay in touch with.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Cricket is the runt, personally I like the runts. They tend to be the best in the litter IMO!! lol

Return to “Health Issues”