Gashed foot pad and heat exhaustion--what do I do??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Gashed foot pad and heat exhaustion--what do I do??

Postby pitsnok » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:12 pm

Degan just about gave me multiple heart attacks today. First he got way way wayyyyy over heated while Tanner walked him (only about one block) and I was panicking thinking he was going to die... I even called the emergency vet. Yeah I probably over reacted, but I panicked. Anyway, now I'm curious as to whether there are any signs of permanent damage to keep an eye out for. He is totally fine now. Back to his normal self, but I know heat exhaustion can cause some permanent problems that I don't know much about.

Apparently he also gashed his food open.

What do I do for this? He is limping on it, that's the only way we knew something was even wrong.
I dipped it in warm saline water--which was an interesting task alone. He wasn't a fan of that (obviously). But now I don't know what to do... Do I wrap it? Do I cut off the flaps of skin? Do I use liquid bandage? Should I use hydrogen peroxide instead of the saline water? I am just at a loss and need some advice. Today has been a really chocolate-y day. :sad:

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Re: Gashed foot pad and heat exhaustion--what do I do??

Postby Bandits_Mom » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Mine JUST did this and it was about a quarter inch deep and half inch long..I took him to it stiched up...that was 5 days ago and he just got his bandage off today and the and the "meat" under the calloused part came back together but its weird the calloused skin did not grow back together because my vet said it is dead cell material and will have to probaly regrow over the meat of his paw...he said its a long healing process. So if the meat under the callous is not sliced bad to need stitches, its going to be a long healing time for it...also you might want to be concerned about what cut it if it got to the meat of his paw and post infection...because he also gave my dog a penicillan shot and pills probaly for both those reasons. Good luck to you...I just wanted to give you my recent experience.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:53 am

Khan had heat exhaustion before and I know how scary it can be! Khan was stumbling around and basically walking in to walks. Totally dazed :crybaby:

I don't believe there are any lasting effects from heat exhaustion, but maybe from heat stroke. I can tell you I am VERY cautious now to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Don't use peroxide. That is one thing I know for certain.

If it were me I'd probably wrap it up with vet wrap and see the vet tomorrow.

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:42 am

It don't look like its cut other than the padding? If it is maybe you can call the vet and tell and just get the antibiotics?

Return to “Health Issues”