Nail color or something

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Nail color or something

Postby pinsent » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:22 am

Hi all,
Titan's nails are clear and easy to trim cause we can swe the quick. But lately at the top of the nail (not tip) near the paw, there is dark gunk, sort of like a bit of mud or something. I can take it off with a my fingernail, and underneath the nail has turned dark.
We have some anti-fungal creams and shampoos from the vet from other things we thought was wrong with him. Not sure if its fungus or anything.
I cant put up a pic just yet. apparently my flash isnt working for photobucket

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Re: Nail color or something

Postby pinsent » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 am

nm works in IE but not google chrome.
here is the pic of one of the nails. with no gunk on it.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am

I hope someone else can chime in...but my guess would be moisture. Is he licking his paws a lot? Maybe it's a build up of saliva and whatever gets stuck to it.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 am

To me it looks like when they stub their toe and the nail has some bleeding inside. When that happens it should grow out just fine.

Just my opinion, of course.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 am

There's a term for that, it's when they lick a lot and the staining of the saliva.
When our dogs got that we changed to an allergy free food, Natural Balance. The 2 we have that are allergic are doing well on Venison/sweet potato.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:06 am

When they lick the saliva creates stains. So that is the stain from licking his paws.

My guess...probably yeast infection...caused from licking. It itches they lick and it creates a moist environment ending in a yeast infection that itches and they lick because it itches. Vicious cycle lol

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:11 pm

ok thanks all. we have some cream for yeast etc.. so we will try that for a few days to see. if it gets bad, off to the vet for more issuses lol.\\
They are renovating there, i think we are paying for them :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I would not try a cream - it'll just get licked off.
Get some Malased shampoo or if you cannot find it, try Ketoconazole shampoo (called NIZORAL, it is in the dandruff shampoo area of Walmart, and probably other stores) or else use Chlorhexadine diluted and wipe/soak the feet.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Sry when i said I would put cream on it. I meant at a time when he can be watched. For instance yesterday we put it on about 10min before we took him for a long walk. It was dry for once here, and it was on a path so no way for it to come off by water etc..
I wouldnt put it on him before we left for work kinda thing. Although he does promise to not lick them after we are gone.
but i dont believe him :)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Capone had that SAME thing for almost his first 18 months but now it disappeared.
No yeast to note, no licking either except if there was a nail tear etc.
It was not mud. I can believe yeast, but as far as I can tell it was not an itchy yeasty thing so he did not lick.

Now his nails are clear.
I also had started giving him more frequest baths. Maybe that helped somehow?

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Actually i checked his nails a few min ago and the gunk stuff is not there anymore, but they discolor is.
It could be a ahh nail fracture. Like the white lines we get on ours if you get a good smack. Or maybe thats just me at my job :)
And I did have him out a week or so ago, up this big trail and i would get him to stay on the path and I would take off.
As soon as I was out of sight, he was like a gun shot. the face it funny as hell. Maybe he just strained them a bit. and the gunk was just that gunk from our big hike in mud last week. We went to Gros morne. and he was about half way up his legs in mud at times.

meltedspork
Newborn Bully

Postby meltedspork » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:59 pm

My Lola has the EXACT same problem with nails and it is because of stress/strain on the nails in her case. Before she was rescued, her nails had not ever been cut for the first 6-7 months of her life. They were obviously very overgrown and sensitive. The vet told me it will just take time and that they might not ever be 100% better. She told me to use a Dremel instead of clipping because it is much less painful and also lets me get much closer to the quick. We've had her for a year now and her nails are slowly improving and are now at a pretty normal length.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am

Porphyrin staining from saliva or yeast infection...

If your pup is licking, there's a problem. If you pup is not licking, its not a problem. :D

Return to “Health Issues”