Limping on previously repaired knee

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
porchcricket13
Super Bully

Limping on previously repaired knee

Postby porchcricket13 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44 am

So Jd had his cruciate repaired earlier this year, and in general has been doing really well on it. He is slower than he used to be and definitely won't be doing agility in his future or anything, but he was walking on it very well and seemed comfortable.

Flash forward to yesterday morning, we went out to play ball in the yard before work. He usually lets me know when he has had enough by taking the ball and sitting in front of the door to go inside. So we played about 15 min before he wanted to go in. This is really the first time he has totally let loose since surgery.

He was walking fine when I left for work. When I got home however he was limping pretty badly, still partially bearing weight but definitely in discomfort. I gave him tramadol and we went to bed.

Today he is still limping and there is a bit of swelling around the joint, so we started Derramaxx in addition to the tramadol. I'm really hoping he didn't do any real damage and is just sore from pushing himself too hard...I don't want them to have to go in again...has anyone else been through this?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Limping on previously repaired knee

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 pm

which surgery did he get?

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:31 pm

He had tightrope surgery, it's relatively a new procedure. It's more stable than a tie back, and less invasive than a TPLO

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:37 pm

hopefully it's just a strain, but it's possible that the tightrope "pulled through" it's anchor point. i wouldn't say it's a common problem, but i've heard it happen before.

maggie had TPLO on both her knees, but even then she'd have the occasional limpy/sore day if she overdid it. eventualy her knee healed up well, but for the first 9-10 months i was pretty careful about things. it was the zoomies that usually got her limpy lol

sounds like you're on top of things, just rest it up and we'll keep our fingers crossed! :)
if things don't improve in a few days, or if he gets worse, i'd definately get it checked out.

Return to “Health Issues”