Allergy issues/UTI

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Allergy issues/UTI

Postby BrindleLvr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am

Okay, here is some background history on the dog first....

Brew was pulled from a local shelter approximately 2 months ago - he was originally found, collarless, unaltered and running at large in a bad area of the city by animal control. He is a pitbull, about 60lbs when picked up, muscley and solid.

When picked up the shelter had him neutered, and treated for an ear infection, the shelter fed him some hypo allergenic vet diet while he was there and we took him to a foster home shortly after the neuter. 2 days in foster care we made our first trip to the vet, he had an infection with his incision, this was treated with antibiotics.
We also switched him to a lamb based food (holistic blend - lamb), added flax seed oil and sea green supplements to his diet.
Shortly after he finished the course of antibiotics he ended up with a rash on his belly, only the furless area close to his boy parts, we tried benedryl but there was almost no response, the rash seemed to just get worse. He was showing no other signs of allergies, ears/eyes are clear, no hives or other itchy spots.
Back to the vet we went, they did a skin scrape to rule out mites, it was negative.
The vet prescribed Vanectyl P (steroid) for 2 weeks as well as more antibiotics as we thought maybe there was still underlying infection from his incision that may not have been cleared up completely.

While on the steroid - within 3 days his belly completely cleared up, as his foster mom weaned him off, back it came. So back to the vet again, where we saw a diff vet, she prescribed enough vanectyl p to last him until October. We also noted his weight had dropped from 60lbs to 53.5lbs. The vet thinks the allergies are seasonal. Advised us to continue bathing frequently with nizoral and continue the steriods.

After putting alot of thought and research into the use of steroids, I think this is a horrible idea - its way to long of a period for him to be on them. And we could be causing liver/kidney damage. We have in the last 4 days weaned him back off the steroids, and switched his food to Holistic Select Duck to see if there are any changes.

As of last night Brew has been peeing blood.
Back to the vet again today, he has a UTI and is back on antibiotics

This poor dog, is an absolute mess. I'm not sure what else to do. Do we continue the food trial? and if no change try a hypo allergenic diet? Is there any natural ways I can help clear up the rash without putting him on steroids if it is infact something seasonal?

Any advice is greatly appreciated -
This is Brew's petfinder profile - http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16653317

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Allergy issues/UTI

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:46 am

Was there an actual food trial or just different foods. I reread through and it didn't mention a food trial. If you are doing a food trial is there a reason why? I believe it is only 10% of allergies that are food related and the rest are environmental(which would encompass seasonal)

Unfortunately with allergies it is a crap shoot trying to find what works. If you do a search I bet you would find, pages, upon pages of posts with suggestions. I find that with Khan's seasonal allergies frequent baths(once a week) and wiping him down with a cool wet rag when he comes inside helps keep things somewhat under control. I also do Salmon oil, vitamin e and coconut oil. If you use salmon oil, vitamin e needs to be used as well.

I'm sure quite a few people will have other natural remedies too.

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 am

We are doing a food trial now as per the vet's recomendation.

Currently we are trying a duck based food, where before he was on lamb.
I will look into those supplements - I do know he is being bathed regularly (and he absolutely hates it lol)

Thanks for the suggestions.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Are they doing a true food trial and not offering anything else treats, bones, etc that are not part of the food line.

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrindleLvr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:33 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Are they doing a true food trial and not offering anything else treats, bones, etc that are not part of the food line.

yep, just the kibble at this point.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:48 am

Personally at the bare minimum I would feed a kibble with limited ingredients especially if you aren't doing a complete food trial.

Do you know what they are bathing him with?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:18 am

If you are doing a true food trial, it's important not to use a commercial dog food. Most commercial diets that are touted as "allergy" formulas aren't sterilizing the factory lines between manufacturing their different kibbles. So the salmon could be contaminated by duck which could be contaminated by venison.

I personally like the fish-based salmon and potato foods because then the dogs are also getting the fatty acids which help support his immune system but if he's already been on a fish-based diet, this may or may not give you some improvement.

Like someone said above, only about 10% of allergy cases are food-based BUT a good diet high in omegas can help support a healthy skin and hair coat. Many dogs at our clinic unfortunately live on prednisone or vanectyl-p from May until October just to maintain a quality of life. It is awful watching a dog who doesn't have any relief from the itchiness or the ear infections.

Can your rescue afford to do allergy testing? I don't know what the costs would be in your area but it makes a world of difference and just means that you're paying a large lump sum up front for a true diagnosis rather than paying over a lifetime for vanectyl-p, special diets that you may not need and antibiotics to treat secondary infections from scratching.

Return to “Health Issues”