After spay?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Roxxie
Newborn Bully

After spay?

Postby Roxxie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 pm

I was just wondering what to expect from my dog over the next few days. I picked her up this afternoon and she seemed fine I can tell she is sore but she doesn't seem to be in too much pain. She didn't want to jump on the bed so I made her a bed on the floor in my room and that's where she is now. She got sick while at the vet so they told me to limit her food and water for the rest of today. They also told me that the stuff they gave her for nausea would probably make her sleepy. She is acting a little more sore now but she did eat a little. (She is still switching to blue buffalo wilderness from dog chow and she picked through and ate the blue buff roflmao ) She hasn't drank very much so I put some water in my hand and she drank that. I am just a worry wort I guess but I just want to be sure she is okay. She hasn't messed with the stiches that I can tell. Everytime I walk into the room she wags her tail like crazy but doesn't give up so I REALLY don't want to drag her back outside and up and down the stairs. :crybaby: If she has an accident I am more than willing to forgive her. Is that bad? My steps are pretty big and I doubt it is good for her to be up and down them much for the next few days. I just want her to be okay and comfortable. The vet sent her home with pain meds so I feel really good about that. Oh and Xena is staying separated from Roxxie and the other dogs until she has her stiches removed.

Roxxie
Newborn Bully

Re: After spay?

Postby Roxxie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am

Okay so Xena climbed into bed with me about 2AM and she seems to be doing better. Eating fine, drinking ok. She wasn't acting as sore. I gave her some pain meds this morning so hopefully she stays that way. No exercise right now and only going out to potty. I never knew I could worry so much.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Even if she's not acting sore, don't let her be too active. Our foster kept trying to do zoomies right after (a day or two) her spay and I was freaking out. She ended up getting two lumps on her incision site. I thought it was a hernia, it wasn't but I think it's a possibility...and one you want to avoid.

Remember, these dogs are stoic. If the vet gave you pain meds, I'd give them to her, even if she doesn't seem to be in pain.

Roxxie
Newborn Bully

Postby Roxxie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:29 pm

She has been confined to the bedroom to avoid much activity and I've had surgery so I have been religious with the pain meds. I'm just glad she isn't so groggy any more.

Roxxie
Newborn Bully

Postby Roxxie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Okay well I haven't gotten any help so far but I suppose I can try one more time. I'm going to get a cone collar in a couple of hours but I was wondering if it was normal for her to start licking her girls parts excessively? She hasn't bothered the stitches yet but she keeps licking herself, which isn't normal from her.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Sometimes pain meds can cause a dog to leak a little bit (urine) and she may be keeping herself clean because of that.

Roxxie
Newborn Bully

Postby Roxxie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Okay that makes sense, thank you very much! :)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:10 pm

If I were you I'd forgo the cone and get the big blue inflatable donut. It is surprisingly sturdy and dual layered.

Our Flower ALSO got the big bump under the incision area, but it was just irritation and after warm compresses it went away.

I would be cautious about leaving her alone with the other dogs so she does not get too excited and rough house etc. but since it can take up to 2 weeks for the incision to heal before you can get an all clear, it might be too much time to be seperated from her crew. She might get all depressed and such.
then again, I don't know your crew...

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:18 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:If I were you I'd forgo the cone and get the big blue inflatable donut. It is surprisingly sturdy and dual layered.

Our Flower ALSO got the big bump under the incision area, but it was just irritation and after warm compresses it went away.

I would be cautious about leaving her alone with the other dogs so she does not get too excited and rough house etc. but since it can take up to 2 weeks for the incision to heal before you can get an all clear, it might be too much time to be seperated from her crew. She might get all depressed and such.

What? WHAT?

Seriously??? Ophie goes in for her spay on Monday (vet wouldn't spay her until she tested free of demodex), up to Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago (spay was in her adoption fee, so we're taking her up there), and she has to miss Tuesday's puppy training class.

But will I need to keep her away from Luke for 2 weeks????
That's crazy. :sad:

I'll be asking them about what her limitations will be.

Roxxie
Newborn Bully

Postby Roxxie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:19 am

Okay maybe I was unclear... My dogs are NEVER left alone together. Ever. :) and Xena hasn't been in contact with another dog at all since her surgery. When I let the others out I put her up. As for the cone, it was all I could get. I was trying to look around more but a big GSD mix was barking at Roxxie and it scared her so I was trying to hurry out of the store. Thank you for the advise! :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 pm

chewbecca wrote:
PitBull-Lady wrote:If I were you I'd forgo the cone and get the big blue inflatable donut. It is surprisingly sturdy and dual layered.

What? WHAT?

Seriously??? Ophie goes in for her spay on Monday (vet wouldn't spay her until she tested free of demodex), up to Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago (spay was in her adoption fee, so we're taking her up there), and she has to miss Tuesday's puppy training class.

But will I need to keep her away from Luke for 2 weeks????
That's crazy. :sad:

I'll be asking them about what her limitations will be.

I had my kitten spayed about a month ago. She was bouncing off the walls when she got home...which was about 4 hours after her spay. I couldn't keep her calm for anything. She had 3 stitches that either her or one of the other cats managed to remove over the first few days :oops:

I would think she will be able to go to class, but I'd bet they will tell you try and keep her calm, avoid jumping, blah, blah.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm

lol
Yeah... they s-a-y to keep them calm for up to 2 weeks, no major walks, no jumping etc.

now... if you meet Flower you will know that there is nooooo way to keep her 'calm'. For Flower I kept tried to keep her calm-er than normal. Hence the big red bulbous bubble the developed under her incision site.

All I kept thinking was, "Oh my God, I ruined her!"
I thought all her guts were falling out. Thank goodness no.

what is even funnier though is when we left the vet, they told me about the 2 week thing. As they said that they were laughing. n-i-c-e (even they knew it would be a fail)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Yeah my kitten was spayed at a VCA which was a ways off from my house, but it was the clinic that the shelter used and it was included in her adoption fee. So I took her there.

Since she had removed all her stitches I didn't take her there for her recheck. I took her in to my regular vet a few minutes from my house. She was cracking up about the stitches. She said she doesn't even bother with exterior stitches on the spays and neuters. She said she could tell she was active, but she knows that with the puppies and kittens it is nearly impossible to keep them calm for 2 weeks. I laughed and said I couldn't keep her calm for 2 hours, much less 2 weeks roflmao

Roxxie
Newborn Bully

Postby Roxxie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:06 am

I think Xena has gotten less calm since her spay lol It has almost been a week, no more pain meds, and we still have the stitches intact :peace: We go for short little walks to TRY to calm her down but...eh lol. I can't wait until she has her stitches taken out so I can start taking her with me on jogs again.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:20 am

Ophie's exterior incision will be glued shut, but she'll have dissolvable stitches on the inside.
No heavy activity for 10 days.
Ophie's easy to keep calm unless Luke is around. Then she wants to play, play, PLAY.
Oh, and she's a jumper when she gets excited. And I don't mean a jumper on people. I mean a "Jump-for-the-sky" jumper.
Red's avatar here reminds me of what Ophie looks like everytime she gets excited about something.

Also, we went with just a plain plastic cone collar for her because the rescue head said not to get the inflatable ones as they can pose a safety risk sometimes.
AND Petco wanted $36 for one. And I wasn't about to pay that much for a freakin' inflatable collar that cost them like 5 cents in labor and 2 cents in materials.

Return to “Health Issues”