new pit bull owner here

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
wink03
Newborn Bully

new pit bull owner here

Postby wink03 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:04 pm

so i have read tons of great info, but i still have a few questions.

1. What do you do for dental care for your dog.

2. What flea and tick medication do you recommend for a 8 week old pup.

3. What do you use for a cleaner/ shampoo.

Any help would be awesome!!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: new pit bull owner here

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I have been giving my dogs dentastix and they seem to be working well, a long with a weekly brushing.

I don't remeber what I used for them as a puppy but I am currently using frontline.

Tearless puppy shampoo.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:08 pm

1. Rawhides. They will get a full dental prophylaxis under general anesthesia at the first sign of gingivitis.

2. Frontline (good for ticks) or Revolution (not good for ticks, also prevents heartworm and internal parasites)

3. A quality oatmeal based shampoo from a pet store or your veterinarian is fine.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:45 pm

1. Smoked and very occasional raw bones. Teeth checked yearly at vet visit.

2. I use frontline plus

3. I use a few different shampoos. I'd recommend a gentle puppy shampoo.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:13 pm

1. Rawhide bones

2. Frontline Plus

3. Right now we use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and Planet Dog Peppermint Dog Conditioner on our dogs. I have also used Tropiclean Dog Shampoo and Conditioner and I really like that brand. The Tropiclean brand carries a puppy tearless shampoo.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 pm

I can't do Rawhide, my dogs (especially Mysti) eat them without properly chewing them. I use real bones (but I am always worried about tooth breakage) and a variety of dental toys with doggie toothpaste.

I rotate Advantix in the summer (when there are lot's of ticks) and Frontline during the winter (just to switch it up, it seems the little buggers can build up resistance to just one product)

I used puppy shampoo when they were babies.

Elliehanna
Newborn Bully

Postby Elliehanna » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:20 am

1. I give rawhides, raw/smoked bones, and also brush my boys teeth about ones every 2-4 days (just started that one) my puppy gets bones, some rawhides but no teeth brushing, she is having teeth fall out right now, and I had her teeth looked at this past week when she got her rabies shots because her 2 lower canines are starting to discolor, the vet said she should be losing them soon though and the fact that the gums look great means there is no issue.

2. Advantage Multi, I live in a hickville town in IL but they spay for mosquito and ticks on a weekly basis, the multi covers Heartworms as well as ticks and is a dewormer. I also use a fly spray that is a fly/mosquito killer that I got from tractor supply in the horse section but it good on dogs too.

3. I use oatmeal dog shampoo on my puppy. On my boy Goren since he is over a year I use Head and Shoulders shampoo and main and tail conditioner, it works GREAT. I have to bath him the day before OB class because he gets really dusty and people want to pet him and will walk away with backyard on there hands arms and cloths where he rubs against there legs (he is the color of dirt so its really bad lol). It leaves his coat GLEAMING, does not hurt that he eats TOTW, they both do (they are transitioning to it, its been about a month but since Goren has bad GI issues I like to go slower than slow)

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:08 am

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I have been giving my dogs dentastix and they seem to be working well, a long with a weekly brushing.

I don't remeber what I used for them as a puppy but I am currently using frontline.

Tearless puppy shampoo.

Forgot to add I do not use rawhide because Dakota likes to try and swallow them soft or not. :huh?:

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:30 am

1. rawhide
2. front line
3. I always use a skin sensitive shampoo with yuhndi.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:30 pm

1- raw meaty bones (ox tails, chicken backs, wings, marrow bones, pig tails, ribs)

2- sentinel- we dont have a lot of ticks here.

3- johnson's baby shampoo even though it isnt the best. I also have some homemade soap somewhere for them.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:39 pm

1. What do you do for dental care for your dog.
Raw meaty bones - frozen bones from the brand "Primal" bought at pet supply stores. We've had problems with our dog swallowing too big of a chunk of rawhide (regular and compressed), luckily she vomited them out.

2. What flea and tick medication do you recommend for a 8 week old pup.
We have used Frontline, Advantix, Advantage Multi to varying results our dog (starting @ age 7 months). I'm still looking at other options.

3. What do you use for a cleaner/ shampoo.
Earthbath shampoos and grooming wipes; zoom groom for brushing and for soaping/scrubbing in bath.

Return to “Health Issues”