KONG

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
concreterose

Kong Recipe Swap

Postby concreterose » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:18 pm

What do you guys like to stuff your Kongs with? Here's a favorite of my girls:

Top layer:In a bowl, cube some liverwurst, throw in some lowfat mozzarella cheese, microwave for about 1 minute. Mash and mix together. Put it in the top of the kong, press it in there as hard as you can.

Next layer: Baby carrots (cut in chunks that are big enough not to fall out).

Next layer: Banana slices, plain yogurt. Mix together (banana yogurt :) ) and fill in kong to bottom. Sometimes I'll add some kibble before I put the banana/yogurt in.

I stuff a biscuit in the opening to get them going, sometimes a carrot.

Freeze for at least 4 hours (takes longer to unstuff).

Don't forget to cut back a little during regular feeding time if you don't wan't a porkie pittie :))

phez718

Postby phez718 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:52 pm

Wow, that's a nice recipe, I always just used peanut butter mixed well with kibble so that the kibble didn't fall out so easily and they had to work for it. Oh, and I would cover the hole completely with peanut butter with ONE piece of kibble smushed on top the peanut butter, its all in the presentation! :))

raebo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby raebo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:52 am

Wow, you read my mind. I was going to post and ask what people stuffed their Kongs with. So many of us seem to have them. I've just been stuffing them with biscuits. I've been wanting to get a little more fancy (and healthy). Now I can. Thanks concreterose.

Rae
Last edited by raebo on Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yuk237

Postby yuk237 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:56 pm

Is just plain peanut butter safe to stuff in kong. :yucky:

cntxraider

Postby cntxraider » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:21 pm

Yes, plain peanut butter is fine. I usually just smear it around the sides and then shove a biscuit in there as far as it will go. Quick and easy.

cntxraider

Postby cntxraider » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:25 pm

The Kong Company website also has some recipes on it.

http://www.kongcompany.com/

kazuo
Site Admin

Postby kazuo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Sometimes I'll break off a big chunk of banana and shove it into the Kong, then seal the hole w/ some reduced fat peanut butter and freeze. The banana part gets stuck in there pretty good, so it takes a while for Lilo to get through it.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:50 pm

Good idea Kazuo....I'm trying to compile some variations...I like that one. Thanks :thumbsup:

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:54 pm

I like all the banana ideas!!!

Kazuo, one quick thing, low-fat peanut butter is actually higher in sugar than the regular stuff, so it's better for our doggies to use regular!

I usually stuff it with kibble that's been softened in water, peanut butter, cheeze-whiz, and a couple biscuits, then freeze (if I think of it). My dogs LOVE cheeze-whiz!!! I think it's high in salt though, so I don't give it too often.

I'll have to try that first recipe for sure!

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:21 pm

That first recipe is a good one!

I have used the kibble and peanut butter and frozen it, she loves it, but darn she is quick to get it all licked out.

How do your dogs takes to "un-stuff" a frozen Kong toy? I timed mine once, she had it clean in 10 minutes...

I wish the holes were a little smaller so it would be more of a challenge. And what size Kong do most of you use? I have the extra large black one which is about 5" long, I also have the bigger one but the hole is so big that I can't find a biscuit that won't fall right out.

I also read that canned dog food will freeze up more solidly than peanut butter. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work better since canned dog food has more water and peanut butter has more oil.

I recently got a couple of Kong type toys called a Rhino made by Nylabone from KV Vet supply and those have a smaller hole which means she can't get the treats out as quickly. They seem just as tough so far.

amyelaine

Postby amyelaine » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:09 pm

Kali LOVES her stuffed kong.

I have mixed wet food and PB together then added some kibble and froze it. I have done biscuts and water with the top filled with PB and froze it for those summer days. I have used gravy from dinner with biscuts and kibble. I have also done cool whip, bannas, and ice cubes. I always freeze them because they last much longer that way. I want to get a dehydrator and start making kali and I jerky. Yummm, then she could have jerky and PB kongs. :headbang:

amyelaine

Postby amyelaine » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:11 pm

Kali LOVES her stuffed kong.

I have mixed wet food and PB together then added some kibble and froze it. I have done biscuts and water with the top filled with PB and froze it for those summer days. I have used gravy from dinner with biscuts and kibble. I have also done cool whip, bannas, and ice cubes. I always freeze them because they last much longer that way. I want to get a dehydrator and start making kali and I jerky. Yummm, then she could have jerky and PB kongs. :headbang:

pitbullluvrs

Postby pitbullluvrs » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:35 pm

I'm all about blending stuff lol. I'll blend up a salad with carrots lettuce bananas and some pumpkin or yogurt and the stick a smaller greenie in the middle so it sticks out a bit and then freeze it. The boys love em :)

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:53 pm

I'm all about blending stuff . I'll blend up a salad with carrots lettuce bananas and some pumpkin or yogurt and the stick a smaller greenie in the middle so it sticks out a bit and then freeze it. The boys love em

Great idat :thumbsup: I'm gonna try that next!
How do your dogs takes to "un-stuff" a frozen Kong toy?

An hour and a half max. There's NO WAY I give it to them unstuffed...they'd empty it in about 5 minutes :roll:
And what size Kong do most of you use?

Red. They have lasted for years.
I also read that canned dog food will freeze up more solidly than peanut butter

I only use peanut butter to seal the little hole at the top. I took to mixing things with yogurt cause yogurt freezes real good.

phez718

Postby phez718 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:06 pm

How about yogurt blended with a piece of banana and frozen, just a thought, I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone see any problems with this or is it good?

Return to “Health Issues”