Terrible breath but clean teeth?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Terrible breath but clean teeth?

Postby Chasesmom » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Chase has STINKY breath. His teeth aren't dirty and the vet actually always compliments on how good his teeth look. His mouth smells like a fish house garbage dumpster.

Help :bowdown:

What would cause it all of a sudden and what can we give him to help it?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Terrible breath but clean teeth?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:44 pm

He might have a far rear molar thats gone bad... its the tooth I pull most commonly, even it dogs with good teeth.

I'd give it a few days to make sure he didn't eat something dead, and then sign him up for a dental cleaning, if it smells like rotting, something probably is...

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Is he a poop eater? Buddy's bad breath (even after a dentistry last December) was coming from her then-unknown habit of sneaking into the litter box. Once I find out she was doing it, I made sure she didn't have access and problem was solved!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:56 pm

kidney issues can also give them garbage breath
I wou;d get a blood work up done on him if his breath continues to smell bad and it is not a molar as misskiwi suggested

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:48 pm

My boss out in Washington had a dachsund who had a dental every three months because of his horrible breath. I didn't think it was THAT bad... but my boss would get a whiff and decide he needed a dental... and his teeth were always lovely.

Nice thing about dentals every 3 months is the anesthesia time is practically nothing... helps that its free for the boss man though roflmao

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:22 pm

I'd do my Doxies every 3mos. if I could, must be nice! lol

meltedspork
Newborn Bully

Postby meltedspork » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:49 pm

What kind of food are you feeding? Low quality food is a leading cause of bad breath in dogs.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Harlow has really bad breath, too. When it is especially bad we supplement her food with a hearty spoon full of plain yogurt and it helps tremendously.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:28 am

When the breath first started smelling, I said the same thing about kidneys. My childhood dog, Charlie, died of kidney failure and she smelled like Chase's breath does now. He acts pretty normal other then so I am assuming it is something less serious...for now.

He is eating solid gold..not sure exactly which one. He does sneak poop. He did it when he was a puppy, then stopped, and now he is back to it. So very annoying. I try to keep him from doing it if I'm in the backyard with him, but if he goes out at night I don't usually stand out there the entired time.

I am going to start with an appointment to have his teeth cleaned and see if the vet finds anything wrong. Also poop eating..must..stop...poop eating. I thought it could have been poop but his breath has never smelled so awful. Blech.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am

Is it his own poop he's eating? You could try sprinkling some meat tenderizer on his food.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:20 am

Tucker is a 12 year old Wheaten Terrier whom my family has had since 5 weeks old. He has eaten innova, cal nat, natures balance, raw diet and now blue buffalo all his life in that order.

He has also always had beautiful huge white teeth. Every vet in his life has never given us a real reason, we've checked organ function, expressed anal gland, tried greenies, tried brushing which we both hated, tried water dish solutions (mouth wash for dogs) and finally tried raw diet which is the best solution in our experience.

However even on a raw diet he's had a strangely funky breath, not to be a downer but some dogs chemistry just have funky breath like humans I think.

Return to “Health Issues”